Type 2 Life

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Hi everyone, I just wanted to let off some steam - my brother Michael had a fit today and suffered a head injury. He went to IKEA to get something to eat and they called an ambulance for him, he had a CT scan earlier and after observing him for a while they have said he's fine to come home. We're just waiting for hospital transport to drop him off, he's coming over mine to have a coffee and a chat. I've been worried about him all day, I couldn't leave A while he's still feeling poorly so I had to leave Michael up there on his own :(

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Hi everyone, I just wanted to let off some steam - my brother Michael had a fit today and suffered a head injury. He went to IKEA to get something to eat and they called an ambulance for him, he had a CT scan earlier and after observing him for a while they have said he's fine to come home. We're just waiting for hospital transport to drop him off, he's coming over mine to have a coffee and a chat. I've been worried about him all day, I couldn't leave A while he's still feeling poorly so I had to leave Michael up there on his own :(
Thank god he's alright , sending hugs to you all. Xxx

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Oh Barbara. You have your hands full, I know.
Like @tina_marie said "thankgod he's ok".
Hugs and cuddles your way.
It's a good job you're a strong cookie. The boys are in good hands with you. Luckily you arent working at mo thou. They need you so much.
I wish the gov. could see what you're saving them as their carer.
Its making me mad. :(

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Thanks @tina_marie and @ickihun, the transport didn't drop him off till after 10 so he quickly popped in to say he was OK and went home to bed. I'll be seeing him later on after my nurses appointment and that will put both our minds at rest! My biggest worry at the moment is that I'm starting an IT course at Learn Direct on Monday. I'll be going there every morning for about a month and I keep wondering what's going to go wrong while I'm out!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @tina_marie and @ickihun, the transport didn't drop him off till after 10 so he quickly popped in to say he was OK and went home to bed. I'll be seeing him later on after my nurses appointment and that will put both our minds at rest! My biggest worry at the moment is that I'm starting an IT course at Learn Direct on Monday. I'll be going there every morning for about a month and I keep wondering what's going to go wrong while I'm out!
Let the course instructor know hun and ask to be able to leave your ringer on your phone, on.
I'm sure they will be supportive.

Sometimes you need things too hun. This is for you.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Good Afternoon, my friends,

My blood glucose level was 4.9 mmol/L at 12:30 PM BST today Wednesday 7th June 2017 AD. Today I've eaten 1 ham sandwich with tomato ketchup and a cheesy chicken sweet pepper and red onion deep pan pizza and more recently some blueberries.

I'm praying for your brother Michael, @Diamum5972 and have added himself, yourself and your family to my Prayer List, of which I put on worship songs at 10:00 PM BST every evening and pray with as well as lighting a candle. Prayers are still ongoing for @debrasue, @ickihun, @TooManyCrisps, @Liam1955, @13lizanne, @eldergarth, @tina_marie and one candle for all the other diabetics on other threads on the www.diabetes.co.uk Forum.

Have a nice day, and may it be peaceful, healthy and stress-free for you all.

Lots of love from Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970), a sufferer of Asperger Syndrome xXx.

274438-Good-Afternoon-Friends-.jpg

D

debrasue

My blood glucose level was 4.9 mmol/L at 12:30 PM BST today Wednesday 7th June 2017 AD. Today I've eaten 1 ham sandwich with tomato ketchup and a cheesy chicken sweet pepper and red onion deep pan pizza and more recently some blueberries.

I'm praying for your brother Michael, @Diamum5972 and have added himself, yourself and your family to my Prayer List, of which I put on worship songs at 10:00 PM BST every evening and pray with as well as lighting a candle. Prayers are still ongoing for @debrasue, @ickihun, @TooManyCrisps, @Liam1955, @13lizanne, @eldergarth, @tina_marie and one candle for all the other diabetics on other threads on the www.diabetes.co.uk Forum.

Lots of love from Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970), a sufferer of Asperger Syndrome xXx.

View attachment 23089
Thank you, Johnny! Hugs x

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness

View attachment 23089
Thank you from me too Blessings x

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.

View attachment 23089
Thank you and hope you are keeping well. X

Reactions: 13lizanne

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you @ickihun, @autisticwonder1970 and everyone else for their kind thoughts and suggestions. I actually saw Michael twice yesterday, I bumped into him in town (he was having a nice fried breakfast so he must be OK!) as well as popping over to his flat later on. He showed me his discharge papers and it said that the CT scan showed nothing serious so that's why they they discharged him. I feel relieved that they did keep him under observation for several hours, they had his best interests at heart.

Reactions: debrasue

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Good morning, my good, kind friends on type 2 life,

I feel very well today and have drunk 2 coffees each with coffee mate and one teaspoon of granulated sweetener. Also cooked a rather zany breakfast of spaghetti with a dollop of margarine and tonnes of ketchup. My blood glucose now is 8.8 mmol/L but it hasn't reached the full 2 hours after eating to metabolise and pass through my digestive tract. The devil carbs are still in my diet and I'm trying really hard to adopt my compliance with the LCHF diet but not having much success.

There are raindrops on my window but it's quite dry at the moment in London but the sky looks very overcast. There are patches of blue there so I think it's clearing. The sun's trying its hardest to penetrate the clouds, too.

Have a lovely day, my friends. I am thinking of you. It is a hung parliament for the 2017 General Election. I voted for my local Labour Pary MP Kate Hoey but I'm sure Theresa May will do a good job, too, not that I know too much about politics.

Lots of love from Johnny (@autisticwonder1970) Baker, a sufferer of Asperger Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus x X x.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Virginia2018 - Welcome to the Forum :).
A lot of Forum Members follow LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) it helps to lower Blood Sugars, lower HBA1C and also loose weight. Click on the links to read.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
Http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Or go to the top of this page and click on the word FORUMS, then scroll down until you come to the heading FOOD and NUTRITION - there you will see all kinds of diets. Just click on any that takes your interest to get an idea of what some members eat.
I am tagging @daisy1 who will provide you with some basic information that all new members receive.
Have a good read around the Threads and don't be afraid to ask questions. :)

Reactions: debrasue
D

debrasue

I was diagnosed only a week ago and I feel overwhelmed as well as starving - have no idea what to eat to actually feel feel remotely full? My reading earlier was 14.9 it's terrifying me but feel lost as where to start to help myself - I desperately need a shopping list
Hi, Virginia - welcome to the forum!

Like @Liam1955, I'm replying on this thread to avoid taking the fasting BG thread off topic. :)

For your shopping list, you can add: cheese (any variety, but not low fat), eggs, meat (with the fat on it), fish, nuts, full-fat cream, berries, any above-the-ground vegetables, healthy oils (avocados, butter, olive oil, nut oils, cold-pressed oils), sugar substitute (stevia).

For the time being, cut out bread, rice, cereals, pasta, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and other root vegetables, processed food, ready meals, anything containing flour, anything containing sugar, any fruit other than berries. You may be able to add some of these foods back into your diet later on, as some people are lucky enough for their pancreas to reprogramme itself following a period on the LCHF diet (low carbs/high or healthy fats).

The fundamental route to success is to eat, wait for 2 hours and then test to see how the food has affected your blood sugars. Naturally, we are all different, but you'll very quickly identify which foods you personally cope well with, and which it's best to avoid.

Don't be scared - you can do this! And we're all here to help you. :)

Hugs xx

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Virginia2018 saw your posting on WWYFB.
Clearly new to this and so I would say starving is not the thing to be.
@daisy1 will send you a useful post with a lot of information.
Read some of the posts on the forum and look for links at the bottom of posts from moderators.
See if you can add a footer to your posts describing your current status, it helps readers knowing where you are. You might not be completely sure yourself.
It is early days and the first month or two can be pretty tough adjusting to your diagnosis.
What worked for me, and I should say it's not for everyone, was that I went to the store cupboard and threw out all flour, rice, pasta, range of sugars and gave my beer collection away to chums at work. My weight fell off and my BG's came down to a point where I am now "under control". I am blessed with a wife who has been very supportive of my pretty strict diet. I continue to cook the food, one for me and one for wife and son.
I hope this helps.
I wish you well.
Read as much as you can around here and the various links.
Hj

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Good afternoon, my friends,

I've had a good day today. For a late breakfast I ate 2 knobby bits of Bloomer bread, with soft spread and orange marmalade on them, then at two different times, I drank 2 mugs of instant coffee, each with one teaspoonful of Coffee Mate and one teaspoonful of Sainsbury's Sucralose Artificial Granulated Sweetener. I've also drunk a few glasses of water to keep me hydrated in the hot weather. Just now, I've eaten a salad bowl, not full of salad, but filled up three-quarters of the way with spaghetti with half a teaspoonful of soft spread and a generous squirt of Sainsbury's Basics tomato ketchup.

Due to living on a low income (£70.00 per week) and a lack of motivation in my challenging and concerning autism spectrum disorder I am finding it very hard to comply with the LCHF diet and today's food choices are an example of that. I found a post from @debrasue to a new forum member very encouraging as she's also advised me, in the same way, to avoid spikes in my blood glucose and listed sequentially all the foods to avoid when on the LCHF diet and the things to add to my shopping list. Of course, the things to add to my shopping list my local Sainsbury's at Nine Elms, Nine Elms Point, Vauxhall may not stock all that stuff and the other supermarkets don't either and I'm only allocated one and a half hours to do all my week's shopping with my Carer at that time and to get to Morrison's or a large Waitrose if I'm honest the time would be exhausted by travelling.

I must try really hard from my next shopping trip next Tuesday to comply with the LCHF diet again, doing a good shop that omits cereals, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, most fruit (but I can buy berries) and then with the change that my Carer gives me after buying my shopping take a 345 bus from Stockwell Station to Camberwell (Morrison's) and see if they stock the Stevia sugar substitute.

@debrasue's post to this lady welcoming her to the forum gave me so much confidence and motivation to want to try the LCHF diet again and helped convict me of where I was going wrong and which might be causing these spikes. The LCHF diet is effective in reducing blood glucose, avoiding diabetic complications and other unpleasant diseases that arise from type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Welcome to the Forum, @Virginia2018 may you really enjoy logging on and feel blessed and encouraged from the uplifting chats and awesome advice tips that you derive from interaction with its members.

Much love to you all from Johnny Baker (autisticwonder1970), a sufferer of Asperger Syndrome and chronic idiopathic back pain who is back on his cigarette smoking cessation programme using Nicorette QuickMist 1 mg nicotine replacement therapy mouth sprays. x X x,

Reactions: Liam1955
D

debrasue

@debrasue's post to this lady welcoming her to the forum gave me so much confidence and motivation to want to try the LCHF diet again and helped convict me of where I was going wrong and which might be causing these spikes.
Hi, Johnny

I'm glad you're feeling motivated to try LCHF again and I'm sure you'll do really well on it, because - even without it - your BGs are good for much of the time. :)

I agree that a low income makes food shopping a challenge, but I'm sure your local Sainsburys will stock most of the items you need, and their Basics range is pretty good and will save you money.

As I know from your posts that you are a good cook, you could whiz up some excellent LCHF meals fairly cheaply with things like fresh or frozen chicken, minced beef or pork, (which are all reasonably low-cost meats), using tinned, frozen or fresh vegetables and salad. Fresh fish can be expensive but things like tinned or frozen mackerel, pilchards, tuna, pink salmon or sardines are equally good and still fit into the LCHF plan. :hungry:

If you really can't do without bread, Sainsburys do a Burgen Soya and Linseed Loaf (£1.50) which is about half the carbs per slice of white bread. They also do a Wholegrain Spelt Spaghetti (£1.00) which is half the carbs of normal spaghetti if you craved some pasta. Breakfast cereals are best avoided, although if you absolutely MUST have some, porridge oats are about the lowest in carbs. Eggs are good any way you want to cook them, however, and a mushroom, ham or cheese omelette would make a good, filling LCHF alternative to a bowl of cereal for breakfast. And. as you know, a good old Full English Breakfast (without the hash browns, chips or toast ;)) is a good LCHF meal. Alternatively, a bowl of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or frozen cherries with Greek yoghurt is delicious!

As regards stevia, you can buy it online if your local Sainsburys doesn't stock it.... Holland & Barratt are currently doing a Buy One Get One Half Price Offer online: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...002322859892&gclid=CLfW7_nSs9QCFVZAGwodTc8Hrg

Good luck with it, Johnny - let us know how you get on!

Hugs xx

Last edited by a moderator:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Virginia2018

Hello Virginia and welcome to the Forum :) Here, in my signature, are the links to the Basic Information for new members and the Low Carb Program. Ask more questions when you want and someone will be able to help.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Good Morning, my lovely friends on the www.diabetes.co.uk Type 2 Life thread,

I had a good weekend and this morning, owing to the fact that I'm not starting my LCHF diet until tomorrow when I do my shopping with my carer, I ate a small cereal bowl of wholewheat fusilli with soft spread and tomato ketchup. I'm going to eradicate these high-glucose and high-sodium meals once I've done my shopping for LCHF food ingredients, as my lovely friend @debrasue advised in her post above. I'm going to buy a Burgen soya and linseed loaf from Sainsbury's at Nine Elms, some whole wheat spelt spaghetti and some chicken pieces, minced beef, frozen brussel sprouts, frozen cauliflower, frozen broccoli, frozen broad beans but not carrots or parsnips because they raise blood glucose. I'm also going to buy some fresh cherries, Greek yoghurt, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries, the latter I'll have some fresh berries and Greek yoghurt for each one of my breakfasts. Yes, @debrasue, I am a very proficient cook, and have a good eye for detail and am meticulous and analytical which is a pronounced Asperger Syndrome trait, which I have.

My blood glucose this morning was a good 6.2 mmol/L after orally administering my medications.

Much love to all,

From,

Johnny Baker (@autisticwonder1970), a sufferer of Asperger Syndrome xXx.

Reactions: Freema