Type 2 newly diagnosed 49 Yr old male.

Chrisjr72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What types of food should I be eating as a newly diagnosed type 2 male 49? Recommendations very much appreciated folks

Chris

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What types of food should I be eating as a newly diagnosed type 2 male 49? Recommendations very much appreciated folks

Chris

Base your meals around meat, fish, eggs, green veg if you like them and full fat dairy if you want.
Avoid starchy foods (rice potatoes pasta bread and sweet things).
If you are a meat eater then it's very easy.

Reactions: Chrisjr72

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chris
I posted this the other day to a similar question:

On a moderate lchf meal plan, I eat a lot of meat, bacon, fish and other seafood, eggs, cheese, full fat yoghurt, most salad vegetables, most above ground veggies. low carb wraps / bread, some smaller portions of fruit.

Mix and match for whatever meals I eat as it works for me.

Reactions: Chrisjr72

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Chrisjr72

Do you have a meter? A meter is the tool that will let you know how different foods affect your levels. What people tend to find out is the level and types of carbs that your body can tolerate. Some people find that sometimes of carbs 'punch above their weight' that is they are less able to tolerate that type of carb. So testing is key.

I have gone very low carb and that works for me. It needs to be something you can sustain and that keeps your levels down.

Good luck.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Chris
You really need to use your meter to check how each food affects you. For instance, I have a huge BG reaction to pastry but not so much to legumes, and people will differ in how their systems react to carbs in food. I'd suggest it's more about working out the foods you (personally) should NOT be eating - then you can eat your choice from everything else.

For me the "don't eats" include root vegetables, esp potato; rice; pasta; anything flour based, so bread, pastry etc.; sugar; milk in quantity; fruit and fruit juice; oatmeal, grains and cereals. Many of these are pushed at us as "healthy" by the media and health services - for T2s, they are anything but healthy. Equally, we've been told by repeated propaganda that meat and fat is bad for us; not in my case it isn't, and you will find lots of others on this forum with similar experiences.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Chris
Early days @Chrisjr72

Sure you'll be pointed to many specific foods or link to similar posts

If I was talking to my earlier self.

I'd say

MEAT that looks like meat
VEGETABLES that look like vegetables
All cooked by me, and any spices, herbs, etc added as I see fit

Sure I try to avoid rice, pasta, potatoes.
Mostly quite well

Bread massively cut down, but it is my weakness for breakfast..

I'd agree with @KennyA , it is more about identifying the foods most likely to cause you issues .

But you'll soon find others that replace most of those

Good luck in your search for that right balance of diet.

Check the success page or signature under a few posts, this can be done, with a little willingness to test, modify & experiment

I found some stuff I could replace & some stuff I modified

I tried cauliflower rice and curry
But found it meh

Then discovered baking cauliflower, and i now just use cauliflower as 'steaks' and pop curry on top.
Same taste, just modified

Last edited:

Chrisjr72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi @Chrisjr72

Do you have a meter? A meter is the tool that will let you know how different foods affect your levels. What people tend to find out is the level and types of carbs that your body can tolerate. Some people find that sometimes of carbs 'punch above their weight' that is they are less able to tolerate that type of carb. So testing is key.

I have gone very low carb and that works for me. It needs to be something you can sustain and that keeps your levels down.

Good luck.
I do yes and check bs regularly X

Reactions: EllieM