Type 2 not wholly related to lifestyle?

ron carthy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed T2 2 years ago at aged 59. Did well on a regime of exercise and diet for almost a year then a period of great stress and change disrupted that regime with the inevitable consequences. FBS in 8 - 10 range for last few months. Now trying to recommit to better regime.

As part of that recommitment I am rereading/researching on T2 and came across an old New Scientist (Sept 2008) that I had not read before. The article refers to research published in American Journal of Epidemiology Vol 167 p 847 and elswhere that links the T2 "epidemic" with "persistent organic pollutants" or POPs such as dioxins, DDT and PCBs ie once common fertilizers. Previous research had indicated that people exposed, even briefly, to high concentrations of POPs faced a modest increase of developing T2 later in life. More recent research indicated that everyday exposure to lower levels of POPs is linked to diabetes. This might explain T2 in fit individuals with low BMI and generally healthy lifestyles.

The article poses the question : is understanding why some individuals are more susceptible to POPs the key to understanding the rise in T2? It suggests there is strong and growing evidence to support that approach amongst epidemiologists but the persistence of "scientific silos" has meant that many dieticians, GPs etc are unaware of this research and persist in attributing the spread of T2 to "lifestyle". That is not to say that exercise and diet are not appropriate responses. However at present there is a tendency to blame diabetics for the "weakness" or "failings" and bring it on themselves so stigmatizing diabetics in ways that are not helpful to a fuller understanding of what is going on.

It is mostly overlooked that in general we are eating less than our grandparents and that dietary advice changed dramatically about 25 years ago to emphasise low fat, high fibre etc. Suddenly we were encouraged to eat more bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. When did the dramatic rise in T2 appear?

Perhaps POPs and carbohydrates are linked. More research needed. Campaigning for that research a role for the diabetic "community"?

Me? Reasonably fit, ate plenty of fruit and veg, moderate drinker, wine. Broadly built, 44" chest 37" waist could do with losing a stone but would not be considered obese. Have to admit to a "sweet tooth" :oops: .

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ron carthy said:
It is mostly overlooked that in general we are eating less than our grandparents

Sorry Ron but that statement just doesn't add up, my grandfather fought in the first world war in the Royal Horse Artillery, and I doubt he ever had a large meal in his life, today we (the royal we) eat far more than any previous generation in history.

So yes it is mostly overlooked because it just isn't true :D

AMBrennan

I wouldn't be surprised if that was true given the rather sedentary lifestyle today.

Nevertheless I suspect that this link is spurious; if you spend enough time looking for causes then you are bound to find something sooner or later by pure chance.
A much more likely explanation is a) improved screening programs and b) improved medical care (i.e. people live long enough to die of diabetes, or cancer, etc)

ron carthy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Actually Sid it is a well recorded and often observed fact, eg The Guardian last week, that we do eat less than earlier generations. Of course there will be individual differences; someone living in a Victorian workhouse was eating less than someone "pigging out" today but in general the average person today consumes fewer calories than earlier generations. The balance of fat, protein and carbohydrates is probably different today but the calorific value is less. One other big diffence is that earlier generations were on the whole more physically active and burning more calories than we do.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Do you have a link for that story Ron, as I just dont believe it.

If our grandparents were eating more than we do today then surely they would have been the generations of obesity not us. Are you sure you read it correctly?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if this is the applicable to the Guardian article but it may be that the statistics don't reveal the true picture.
It's difficult to compare calorie intakes in the UK because it depends very much on what statistics are used.
The national food survey took place from 1940-2000. This surveyed what people ate at home :average calorie intake in 1940 was 2355 calories but in 2000 was only 1750. Do we really think that this is all many people have been eating? The NFS excluded food taken out of the home so this may account for for a lot of calories .

Since the 60s we’ve been consuming fewer calories from household food (this doesn't include eating out). However, there are an increasing number of people who are overweight or obese. The reasons for this are not clear. But there are a few possible explanations, such as:

we are now much less active than we used to be so we need less energy from our food
we're preparing less food at home, so as well as the food we buy for eating at home, we’re also eating takeaways and eating out
we may be eating more snacks and sweets than we are admitting to in surveys
http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/webpa ... samverdict

This piece of research shows some interesting stats on fat/carb/ car ownership/TV watching. It comes down on the side of sloth.. ie we eat less, though we also eat a higher proportion of fats, we also move a lot less .
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 5-0041.pdf

bigbenn

Hi,
It is my opinion that Type 2 Diabetes is wholly related to lifestyle - and the food which you put in your mouth and the quantity of it - without any exercise regime, such as a daily fast walk to get the heart pumping.

I have put my diet and exercise regime on this forum, under Type 2 Diabetes.

I have been Type 2 Diabetes free for over 2 years, following my simple diet and because I have become accustomed to my diet, it is a simple statement for me to say that I never intend to have Diabetes Type 2 again - ever.

I have used my body as a crash test dummy, to prove to myself that a simple cure was possible and once I achieved that, to share my experiences and diet with those others of you, out there, willing to give my diet and exercise regime a go, bearing in mind I am lazy by nature and I only walk because I have to - helped by having 2 largish dogs to keep me company and having to walk them, because I have to.

Join me in rescuing your health and extending your life expectations without unnecessary complications.

BigBenn

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BigBen According to your profile you have only been diagnosed DB for 1 year so how have you been type 2 free for 2 years ?

halfpint

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BigBenn I disagree.

If it was wholly, as you stated, down to lifestyle then every inactive obese or overweight person would have diabetes, this is not the case. There are genetic markers that pre-dispose people to diabetes. Many will put on weight because of their diabetes.

I am slowly but inexorably heading towards diabetes. Most of my life I have consumed no more than 800-1000 calories a day, had a bmi in the 17 range. Now approaching 60 bmi is up a bit to 20. Work physically hard in the field on a daily basis. We eat what we grow - no processed food. So what you have stated is bo**o**s.

test_positive

bigbenn said:
I have used my body as a crash test dummy, to prove to myself that a simple cure was possible and once I achieved that, to share my experiences and diet with those others of you, out there, willing to give my diet and exercise regime a go

I wish a cure was possible. But unfortunately, all the evidence is that it is not :( . I hope that medical science brings us a cure one day. In the mean time, we have to do everything we can to manage the condition so as not to get the complications.

And everything I've read says there is a genetic component to the disease. They have established this from studies of twins.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bigbenn you are out on a limb then because most health professionals are now realising there is a whole lot more to type 2 diabetes including genetics.

I have fought my weight all my life despite playing copious amounts of sport even after leaving school, badminton and tennis clubs, most of my holidays spent in the Austrian alps walking. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs and I have always eaten sensibly.

Go figure, guess it must be all my fault then but not quite sure how!!

Ali

Unbeliever

Bigben , just as a matter of interest are you planning to ressurect every old hread mention T" and lifestyle in the hope that those of us who disagree will just give up and go awawy or that you will eventually find someone to support your theories?

Just asking.

How DO you explain the fact that many of us are not and never have been overweight and that many , many obese people are not and never will become diabetic?

Are you really unable to see the difference between abchieving non-diabetic levels {which you haven't} and being cured ?

Posters here are so polite and patient. I'm out.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think our ben has done a runner he never answered my question about his profile nor has he answered any of the points made by others proving that his take on type 2 DB is wrong on most if not all counts.
CAROL

A

Anonymous

carty said:
BigBen According to your profile you have only been diagnosed DB for 1 year so how have you been type 2 free for 2 years ?

Tee hee :lol:

Maybe Ben was type 2 before, stopped for a while and then was type 2 again. Happens all the time you know - people get cured all over I 'spect.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
swimmer2 said:
carty said:

Tee hee :lol:

Maybe Ben was type 2 before, stopped for a while and then was type 2 again. Happens all the time you know - people get cured all over I 'spect.

I was cured last Friday, then I had baby 5.3 to 7.9 ouch! (My wife really had the baby, I just had the stress) :lol:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congrats about the baby but sorry about the cure but never mind you may be cured again next week :D
CAROL