Type 2 now no longer producing insulin

Suz2

I've been Type 2 since I was 27. I'm now 62.
Problem is my pancreas no longer produces insulin based on my peptide results.
My insurance now classifies me as Type 1 which is good. They now pay for an insulin pump and CGM. (US resident. Private insurance)
Does anyone else fall into this category and, if so, what are your challenges? Thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You are obviously what we call LADA (late onset T1) and not T2 - misdiagnosis is common. There are many on this forum who use pumps and CGM stuff so have a look at the T1 or LADA etc forums

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been Type 2 since I was 27. I'm now 62.
Problem is my pancreas no longer produces insulin based on my peptide results.
My insurance now classifies me as Type 1 which is good. They now pay for an insulin pump and CGM. (US resident. Private insurance)
Does anyone else fall into this category and, if so, what are your challenges? Thanks

Hi @Suz2

I’m really glad that you are getting insulin now, since you clearly need it.

My understanding is that someone is only T1 if it is autoimmune.
We’ve got a few T2s on insulin around here. I will tag in @Fenn and @satindoll who were diagnosed T2 and are now on insulin.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I read this earler but didnt respond because I am unsure which category I fall into, I believe my pancreas has given or is giving up the ghost. I also believe im t2, even with my DN doubting my diagnosis, my gad test was on the edge of normal and ive been on tablets for 7+ years (surely id be dead by now?) but I am weird in the sense that I dont care, the treatment is the same either way so its all good.

Doubt I would get or need/want a pump and doubt I would qualify for free libre, so happy to go along with minimal interferance from medical people, trying to keep my numbers in check.

I have eaten low carb since diagnosis, this was brilliant to begin with but now isnt enough so we are were we are hehe, im currently going extremely low carb to try and cut out my novorapid, due to not wanting hypos during my working day, this is having medium success with bg but still getting weird spikes, I have had to adjust occasionally but whilst ultra low carbing, two units takes me from 15 to 7 rather than 6-9 Units

Challenges? Keeping numbers reasonable, affect on life in general? Nothing at all (as long as i avoid hypos)

Not sure if this answers any questions but I was tagged so felt obliged to ramble hehe

Best wishes

Edit: aparently its only 6 years since diagnosis, feels alot longer but the wife remembers all hehe

Suz2

Hi. You are obviously what we call LADA (late onset T1) and not T2 - misdiagnosis is common. There are many on this forum who use pumps and CGM stuff so have a look at the T1 or LADA etc forums
Question if it is LADA as my c-peptides were relatively normal until a sudden full stop. There wasn't a gradual decline in function. My understanding is that LADA means something has or is impairing your insulin production by destroying damaging your pancreas, specifically the Islets. Is it possible that a virus or other recent insult suddenly destroyed the Islets?

Also question this because I have extreme insulin resistance. Seriously, epic resistance. If LADA, is insulin resistance a problem? Just don't know enough, but I will check out the other forums. Thanks.

Suz2

Why obviously? There are more reasons a pancreas can stop producing insulin than T1.
Thanks for your response. What other reasons are suspect when the body stops producing insulin? Remember long history of diabetes (over 30 years).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your response. What other reasons are suspect when the body stops producing insulin? Remember long history of diabetes (over 30 years).
I really don't know much about declining insulin production in T2. I think having T2 for a long time can wear out your beta cells, but not sure about how that works and I don't have any sources at the moment.
There is also the possibility of damage to the pancreas, and perhaps there are more possibilities than T1, T2 or T3C.
I mainly reacted to someone stating you're obviouly a misdiagnosed T1. We really don't have enough to go on for such a clear diagnosis, and we're not here to make diagnoses.

I think the main thing is a working treatment, and CGM and pump sounds great if you're not making any insulin, rgardless of the cause :)

Suz2

I really don't know much about declining insulin production in T2. I think having T2 for a long time can wear out your beta cells, but not sure about how that works and I don't have any sources at the moment.
There is also the possibility of damage to the pancreas, and perhaps there are more possibilities than T1, T2 or T3C.
I mainly reacted to someone stating you're obviouly a misdiagnosed T1. We really don't have enough to go on for such a clear diagnosis, and we're not here to make diagnoses.

I think the main thing is a working treatment, and CGM and pump sounds great if you're not making any insulin, rgardless of the cause :)
You are so kind, thank you for the response.

Reactions: Antje77

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I am so disappointed that my insulin is declining, even when I took more; I wonder if my doctor will give me even more; what is the maximum? I started at 10, went to 18 and still had high blood sugar numbers.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Good news; my dr. raised my insulin a bit. Interesting that I heard a radio ad that you should not increase it too much as you can get hypos, which in fact I did at first, so I lowered it a bit. For me a hypo is chest pain, sweating and nervous; and as I lowered I did not have those symptoms; therefore it must have bene a hypo. But the numbers are better and more energetic after lowering a bit. It is so meticulous to get the right numbers.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Ummmm......

....35 year honeymoon period must be pushing for a new record.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Question if it is LADA as my c-peptides were relatively normal until a sudden full stop. There wasn't a gradual decline in function. My understanding is that LADA means something has or is impairing your insulin production by destroying damaging your pancreas, specifically the Islets. Is it possible that a virus or other recent insult suddenly destroyed the Islets?

Also question this because I have extreme insulin resistance. Seriously, epic resistance. If LADA, is insulin resistance a problem? Just don't know enough, but I will check out the other forums. Thanks.

LADA is, I think, typically an autoimmune disease which destroys the Beta cells (as in full on T1) but just takes a while to do it, so initially presents as T2 whilst some insulin is being produced but gradually goes to T1 when all significant insulin production ceases.

There is often a honeymoon period for T1s when the Beta cells are still fighting back, but I think this is usually no more than a year. LADA has an extended honeymoon period, and although there is a lot of debate I don't think it often extends beyond 6 years. Your period of about 35 years between first diagnosis and the final ending of insulin production does not sound like LADA.

Your very high insulin resistance could indicate that your pancreas has just worn out from over use.

As you say, you could have developed T1 independently of your existing T2; that is, had an autoimmune response which destroyed your Beta cells. That would be interesting, to say the least, but that doesn't really help you now. I haven't seen anyone on this forum who has gone the same route, but I may well have missed them.

I assume that once a diagnosed T2 has ceased insulin production then your treatment regime would be the same as for a T1 with perhaps something additional because of your very high insulin resistance. Presumably as a T2 you were also being treated for the insulin resistance so I can't see any major change there. Potentially more insulin required than would be expected for a newly diagnosed T1.

Do you have any indication why you have very high IR?
Is your weight average?
What do you eat?
Has your health team made any suggestions about the cause?