type 2 partner and father and need help

both my partner and my dad have type 2 and other than a diagnosis and meds have had no information or support.. i have just joined here in order to help them but have no idea where to start.. advice please?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I replied to your other post. Read the link in my signature
Get them a meter. Read around the forum and ask questions.

Welcome!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
both my partner and my dad have type 2 and other than a diagnosis and meds have had no information or support.. i have just joined here in order to help them but have no idea where to start.. advice please?

Hi and welcome.

A lot of us have found that by changing what we eat we can put T2 diabetes into remission fairly quickly.

I'd suggest starting here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Then reading round the forum generally.

I'd also suggest getting your partner to join up as sometimes its easier for T2's to talk directly to others who have been in the same situation. Same for your dad if technically adept.

Reactions: zand

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @greenlady.
Quickest most relevant information is here: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

There are other ways of controlling (T2Diabetes (or even putting it into remission) but Low Carb is not only the easiest 9for most), but it makes the most sense in my opinion. since Blood Glucose improves immediately and usually weight loss and improved blood Pressure follow close behind.

Apart from steadily increasing medication, the other alternatives all focus on drastic weight loss:
Very Low Calorie diet (= starvation to drastically reduce weight).
Fasting
Bariatric Surgery.

None of the 3 above fix the problem, they just buy time to adjust to a better way of eating (- which is Low Carb)!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Same as above... it's you best starting point. The diet link is great advice.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Given that both your partner and father have T2, a low carb diet will benefit you all. (T2 is a genetic disposition to be unable to process the carbs in a typical modern low fat high carb so called healthy diet, you will all benefit by reducing the carbs in your diets. With a T2 dad, you are likely to get T2 yourself if you don't watch your carbohydrate intake).

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. It is a little overwhelming to be thrown into this and its good you are helping them, and probably yourself, by finding out more.
I am a DuK volunteer so have had a couple of people call me for support recently; although there are NHS provided courses running in my area and there may be in yours too these can be digital/Zoom based and it doesn't always work for some people but may be worth asking the GP.
I like X-Pert (clinically approved but you'd need to pay for it) as its more low carb oriented but there is also Oviva (offers the low cal approach and a more gradual one - anecdotally it is rated highly by at least one spouse of a diabetic I know!).
Otherwise all I can say is that there is no better time to start with at least 1 change that will make the biggest difference e.g. cutting out snacks, trying a carb free breakfast or stopping drinking sweet drinks but that list isn't exhaustive.
IF possible get a meter so you can see that whatever you try is making a difference (at 2 & 4 hours after a meal or upon waking up and bedtime).
You could spend a lot of time wondering from web site to facebook post but your husband and dad and you probably know what to tackle first!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How many carbs a day or per meal should you have when cutting down
Everybody is different, so the only way you can tell is by testing, some have found (from reading these forums) they can be fine on 130g carbs per day, others cant have more than 20g carbs per day

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
How many carbs a day or per meal should you have when cutting down

It tends to more sustainable if you cut down enough, but not too severely at first.
But we are all different - some react worse to carbs in some foods that others can eat without big problems e.g. Although some can, .I can't even eat an apple or a raw carrot.

The best and certainly the quickest way to find out how much to cut carbs is by using a Blood Gluccose meter to test your reaction to them. Test before a meal and the 2hrs after first bite. Aim to keep the maximum reading down to 8.0 mmol (if possible) and the difference between pre and post-meal (the spike) down to 2.0mmol or less.
Note that in some cases a zero carb snack or meal for 'breakfast' can actually reduce BG caused by Dawn Phenomenon.
In my case Cheese or Boiled eggs for breakfast my BG from around 7.5 to 6.8 on several occasions., though normally my fasting BG is below 7.0