Type 2 remission?

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just wondered what your definition is of being in remission from type 2 diabetes? My opinion, for what it’s worth, is continually having ‘normal‘ BG readings and not on any medication but controlling it with diet.
I‘m interested in your thoughts and what your definition is :happy:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This too for me, but my GP surgery marked me as in remission once I'd had normal range HbA1c results for a year.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP (rarely praised by me) refers to my BG as "well controlled" and although that doesn't sound as exciting as "remission" and definitely not "reversal", I think it is more accurate. Because my diabetes has gone nowhere and I suspect if I went back to eating carbs, my BG would go high again, I'd put on weight, and revert to all the other miseries that I hadn't connected to diabetes until I investigated.

However, "remission" does sound good, and offers a more positive take on the whole matter. Between consenting adults in private, as it were. Words, words.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP (rarely praised by me) refers to my BG as "well controlled" and although that doesn't sound as exciting as "remission" and definitely not "reversal", I think it is more accurate. Because my diabetes has gone nowhere and I suspect if I went back to eating carbs, my BG would go high again, I'd put on weight, and revert to all the other miseries that I hadn't connected to diabetes until I investigated.

However, "remission" does sound good, and offers a more positive take on the whole matter. Between consenting adults in private, as it were. Words, words.
I’ve had a normal hba1c for approx 10 years but, according to my GP surgery, I am only well controlled! However I consider myself to be in remission as I feel I meet the criteria!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I was classed as well controlled last year when I had my hba1c, I am hoping my next hba1c will be the same. DN seemed to think that if I carried on the way I have there would be no reason for my hba1c to not drop further. Lets hope so.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reduced my initial/diagnostic T2 HbA1cs to pre-diabetic levels with 3 months of diagnosis by eating a low carb/ketogenic style diet. They've remained at mainly low pre-diabetic - high normal for over 9 years, and my GP stopped my metformin prescriptions over 6 years ago. He's also another who uses the term "well controlled". Most of my higher pre-diabetic levels have coincided with health and stress issues rather than with carby eating , and since I'm able to keep to those lower pre-diabetic levels, I'm not particularly bothered about actual terminology. (And I'm pretty sure that if I was ever forced into a position again were I was expected to endure a high carb diet, it would put an end my current nice well-controlled pre-diabetic levels .)

Regarding the meaning of "remission": our own diabetes.co.uk says a bit vaguely:
"Definition: Remission is said to occur if blood glucose levels return to normal without the need for diabetes medications."
But in more detail, from diabetes.org.uk
"Remission is when your HbA1c — a measure of long-term blood glucose levels — remains below 48mmol/mol or 6.5% for at least three months, without diabetes medication."
(International definition agreed by Diabetes UK, the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes)

Last edited:

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
The dictionary definition of remission is "a temporary diminution of the severity of disease or pain."

There were some detailed discussions a while ago on the reason for the 6.5% threshold, as I recall it aligns with the level where key diabetes complications are not normally seen (there are some members here who have commented that they had complications at levels below that threshold).

Reactions: EllieM

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My practice classes (or classed) remission as a continuous 12 month period of normal HbA1c readings ( ie 42 or below) without use of glucose-lowering medication.

Other definitions are in use, as pointed out above - another one I've seen is simply "a non-diabetic reading" ie below 49 - so it's a bit of a moveable feast.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So "remission" definitely appears to be something of a moveable feast.

And as my liver & pancreas have done their best to keep me in reasonable working order for well over three quarters of a century, and done valiant battle with T2 for the last 9+ years I'm more than happy that they are still able to keep that diabetes "well controlled"....