Type 2 struggling with high sugars and anxiety

dottielottie

Hello, I've been diagnosed since oct 2010, and after initially struggling with metformin, I was changed onto slow release metformin and gliclazide. After about a year, I was allowed to come off the gliclazide because they were at times making me have hypos and my sugars levels were good off them.

Recently I've been under a lot of stress at work and one day I felt particularly poorly and tested my sugars which were at 21, I saw the doctor who signed me off sick with anxiety and suggested I increase my metformin to three a day, or four a day. This increase had the inevitable side effects, swollen tummy and upset stomach, and my sugars were never below 13, and often above 17, even on fasting overnight, awaking they were often above 13.

My doctor has signed me off for another two weeks, with stress anxiety and reduced my metformin to two a day and introduced sitagliptin 100mg once a day, the problem is I seem to feel quite dizzy on these, but baring in mind I've only been on these since Saturday, but my sugars this morning was 13.9 and 11.4, after 12.30 o clock. He also put me on an anxiety tablet.

What's a normal reading, what should my levels be normally at? What happens next if my sugars don't come down ? Is this new medication a good one, has anyone taken it, does the side effects wear off after a few days, is it worth keeping on with it ?

Any advice wld be great
Thanks x :(