Type 2 tablets and insulin

Catmalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been diabetic and diagnosed 20 yrs ago, but told I've been diabetic for the past 37 yrs. Been on medication 20 yrs.

5 weeks ago they started me on slow release insulin with my meds... But...

Damage done.

I've retinopathy, and as I type I've an active haemorrhage behind my left eye. They've bleed off and on for years...

My left retina is detached.

The backs of my eyes are swollen.

I've cataracts in both eyes.

My vision is impaired.

I've also got neuropathy and lots of other damage.

I believe I should have been on insulin yrs ago, since my bloods have rare been under 10.0 and usually around 12.0 13.0 plus. However, for we don't know how long, my diabetes is totally out of control.

2 and half hrs after food my levels could be higher than 18.0 plus. Consistently.

Since increasing the insulin each week, at 16 units and medication, I'm even getting normal readings, consistently!!!

I can wake up from 7.6 and UNDER 6!!!

Personally, I believe all these yrs with these readings, I should have been on insulin... But late in the day after all the highs I've lived with. But I'm a believer, better late than never.

So, I actually feel better.

Don't need to drink right through the night anymore for a week now.

Not peeing through the night anymore.

Not taking asleep through the day anymore... And in general, just feeling better than I was.

Just thought is share that, throw it out there, abs ask if there is anyone out there in my position?

Thanks for reading.

Catherine

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Catherine, it's fantastic you're feeling better and have a great positive attitude! I believe it really does help!

Are you having treatment for the eye problems? There are many members that have had eye problems and had treatment and have much less problems now so stick with them good numbers and the positive attitude! :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's sad to think that you were unable to know your blood sugar was to high presumably not having a meter? Your GP should have been following NICE Guidelines which would probably have shown the need for more medication based on a high HBa1C measure. We always say that all diabetics need a meter and should always insist on more advice or treatment if the HBa1C goes above certain NICE thresholds.