Type 2 thinking of going gym

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So i am thinking of going the gym for 3 months only in Derby as i am going to be leaving in May back to my hometown and the council has offered a £60 gym membership for 3 months and i have been down to have a look at the gym and spoke with a trainer who advised me to join as i need to lose 9 - 10 stone as i am currently 23 stone.

I've told him that i am diabetic and he says that there is no problem in me joining, but i would like some advice on what to do if i join as the gym as i don't know how long or how much i should do the exercising for.

Any help would be great

tobyp

Hi mate,

I can only say go for it. Any exercise is good really, don't be intimidated by the idea of going to the gym or other people there.

Running/walking and cross training are probably the best to get started - cross training is zero impact on your joints.

Exercise can make a big difference for you...good luck!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Start slowly and build up. Try a 20 min walk on the treadmill. As you progress, you can try it with a slight incline and try for 30 mins or so. Ideally, try to mix cardio ( non load bearing at first ) with some light weights. Also, don't just say you're gonna try the gym for 3 months. Try to make it a long term goal. Even if you can't afford gym membership, walking costs nothing and makes a huge difference to circulationand general well being. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

volaer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Don't like pricking...
I just jog, i don't go to the gym coz it's extra expense. I have 6kg weights which do the job. It lowers my blood sugar. But strict diet is a must if you really want to lose weight. The principle is very simple, burn more than what you intake.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I joined a local gym last night, went swimming first time in forever tonight, I felt like everyone wa looking at me, like the pub scene in american weirewolf in London, I did four individual lengths of the pool I felt Iike I was in chariots of fire everything was slowwww lol and i was like one of the runners at the end of a marathon that look fit to collapse, now my legs feel like lead lol what a wreck, but I'm gonna go again tomorrow, what don't kill ya makes ya stronger, right?

Should I eat extra food ? I'm t2 my bg was 7.5 afterwards, I swam 1 hour after a chicken salad

Finzi

Andy - I wouldn't have thought you needed to eat extra food. That's more for type 1's on insulin who are trying to make sure they don't go hypo after exercise. You as a type 2 on meds will not go hypo no matter how much exercise you do, so you don't "need" extra food in a medical sense. However, if exercising has made you hungry, as swimming will often do, I don't think you necessarily need to deny yourself food artificially - just try to have something healthy.

Akindrat - a really good starting point at the gym would be a cross trainer (the ones where you move your feet and arms simultaneously). They are kinder on joints than a treadmill when you are carrying extra weight. As you lose a little more weight you could move to a treadmill then and, as someone suggested, keep it at a slow-ish speed but on an incline (adjusted as to how you can manage). Jogging would be very hard on your knees and feet at your current weight. Another good one would be a reclining bike (you sit in the seat like a chair, and your feet doing the peddling are out in front of you). That will be easier on your nether regions than sitting on a normal "saddle type" stationary bike. Rowing machines are good but you may find it easier to keep your feet on the floor, rather than in the stirrup type things provided. If you put your feet in those, it can be hard to achieve a proper rowing form if you have a large stomach. When you have warmed up doing some cardio type exercise like this, you could have a go at some resistance training using the machines. There should always be someone around to show you how to use them. The good thing about these is that being overweight doesn't really make it any more difficult (unlike with cardio). You are working one or two muscle groups at a time, and your overall size is not really an issue. Using these will not make you bulk up like a bodybuilder. That requires intensive work at much much higher weights than you would be using. They will just help you tone, and improve insulin resistance.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Fanatstic thankyou, i was very worried about the hypo thing i am much happier now knowing this is not a problem, swimming the channel next week, many thanks .
Andy

KimZolciak

Hey, It’s a good idea to start exercise, so please don’t stop give it a go as early as possible. But never forget that you have diabetes attached to your health, so in the initial stage go slow, don’t push yourself as in gym you will find many kind of people, who might be doing vigorous exercise. So, don’t get influence by them and spoil our health. Always listen to your body, stop when your body refuses to do more. And if you find something unusual, then better consult your doctors and then proceed. Take care!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a rowing machine mostly, very low impact, low perceived compared to actual effort, and works most of the major muscles. Very easy to move from aerobic to anaerobic exercise (which is what you really need to do) and as there is some resistance work involved too it helps to build a little more muscle tissue which will increase the number of cells in your body able to utilise the excess glucose in your blood. I started out 3 moths ago and struggled to do 15 minutes at low intensity, but persevered and now average around 75 minutes a day and a mix of medium and high intensity. I enjoy cycling also but have not found that to be as effective.

If there is a decent trainer at the gym I recommend you discuss with him how to best achieve your objectives, on advise received I use heart rate training methods and try and train 20-25% of the time at 80-95% of my max heart rate and the rest of the time at between 60-80% max heart rate. Seems to work well for me, lost 21lb in weight, lost a lot of inches off my waist and hips and my ave blood glucose levels are sub 6% (5.4 for the last 7 days on the meter).

LittleWolf

I find pole dancing to be a great full-body workout which shares the strain on all my muscles and joints as I suffer with joint pain. Ballet killed my knees doing repetitive pliés

I am not type 1 as far as I know but when I exercise either my blood sugar can drop or shoot up to around double figures Depending on what/when i last ate. i have had hypos (around 3) without being on any medication. It's unlikely but may as well keep a drink and snack handy.

Check blood sugar before, after and during exercise if you feel at all strange.