Type 2

sparkyfarm

Hi all I have just been diagnosed with type 2 by my nurse. I have a couple of questions. My nurse said that I should eat more carbs than I am. Do I look for carbs with a low sugar or high sugar? I have to see her again in three months and have been given Metaformin 500g twice a day. My second question is that by reading some of the topics on here it appears that people are taking there own readings on a regular basis. Should I ask for an appointment well before the three month time. My reading was7.4

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I have just been diagnosed with type 2 by my nurse. I have a couple of questions. My nurse said that I should eat more carbs than I am. Do I look for carbs with a low sugar or high sugar? I have to see her again in three months and have been given Metaformin 500g twice a day. My second question is that by reading some of the topics on here it appears that people are taking there own readings on a regular basis. Should I ask for an appointment well before the three month time. My reading was7.4

If you read other topics on this forum you will see that this advice is pretty standard from diabetic nurses but many of us disagree as we have found much success by reducing our carb intake. My advice would be to start by avoiding bad carbs such as potatoes, white bread, pasta, pizza, white rice, cakes, biscuits and other refined carbs.

Many of us also test our own levels with a blood glucose meter. You will probably have to get your own and the test strips are quite expenses but they are the best way of finding which foods are best for you.

Keep asking questions and you will soon learn how to get control.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome, the advice you received is criminal, it makes me very angry, if followed you could be committing suicide or condemning yourself to a lifetime of pain and suffering and im not being dramatic, like madbazoo has said continue reading through the forum and ask questions you come across, there are many different ways of dealing with diabetes but the advice you got isnt it

this is just my opinion, im not medically trained

best of luck

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't trust any information about diabetes given by the practice nurse at a GPs surgery. Remember, these are the people who do the baby injections, asthma clinic, blood tests etc.

Reactions: 4 people

sparkyfarm

I am not sure if I'm looking at carbs with high sugar or low carbs with starch ?. I'm so confused. Is there a food forum on here to see if what you eat is good or bad for you. Eg. Can I have eggs or bacon without fat,? Baked beans, toast, porridge etc;

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sugar is bad,.... if thats what your wanting to know

avoid bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and sugar, fat isnt the problem you would expect but read some of the forum posts you will see what i mean

do you test your blood sugars with a finger prick test at all? if not it would be a great idea to do so, if the doc wont prescribe one, buy one from the chemist and test before you eat then 2 hours after, this will give you an idea about what food does to your blood glucose levels

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Sparky

Welcome, you should get a message from Daisy with general info for new members.
Meanwhile I would suggest to bring your numbers down lose weight if you need to and increase exercise if you can.

I would argue with your nurse about a diabetic eating more carbs. As would may others in this group.

Lots of us here have had good results by cutting down carbohydrates. Carbohydrates basically turn into sugar and sugar is is the enemy! ;)

So cut back or avoid things like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or at least choice wholemeal varieties. Watch out for sugary drinks, juices and I expect you know about biscuits, sweets and chocolates etc.

It is quite tricky to get a meter from some GPs so lots of us have bought our own. Many manufacture will give you a meter for free but the test strips are expensive so you can save money in the long run by buying an SD Code free meter because the strips for that are about one third the price of others.

I think we should all be testing ourselves in the beginning to see which foods raise our blood sugar and which don't.

Feel free to ask questions, as many as you like.

If you want to tell us what you like to eat we are a nosy bunch so you'll get some comments /advice

Cara

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thats a huge question.... some would say so yes, it will help with blood glucose levels and weight loss cholesterol etc but others would disagree, reducing your carbs to a very low level is a contencious issue, persoanlly im a fan of low carbing but many arent, which way to go is up to you after reading about the pros and cons, sorry this isnt very definative

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the other posters, Andy in particular, that the advice you have been given WILL make your diabetes worse. If you're happy to make the diabetes worse then go along with it, otherwise take the advice from the many on the forum who have a wide range of experience and cut the carbs down to a level where the meter shows you are in the good range. You can't argue with the meter and neither can the DN. I have set my own target of 150gm/day which might be good start point. Many have set much lower limits; again go by the meter. There are areas on this website for diet info. Basically avoid high-GI carbs such as those based on white flour and sugar obviously. Go for whole-grain carbs when you do have them, beans, pulses, veg and so on. BTW the meter stuff you have ordered sounds fine.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Sparky

Welcome, you should get a message from Daisy with general info for new members.
Meanwhile I would suggest to bring your numbers down lose weight if you need to and increase exercise if you can.

<snip>

Cara

Hi Sparky and welcome to the forum:)

Andy has kindly given you the link to the information that I give to new members which has been mentioned by Cara. I hope it helps you

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Hello Sparky

I am glad you will have a blood meter soon. It will be the single most helpful tool you could have, outside of controlling your diet. I wish I had had one right at the beginning but I didn't and had to up my meds in the end but I am convinced, utterly convinced that if I had had access to a meter, I could have at least delayed having to go onto more meds.

The advice about lowering your carbs is excellent I think. It's all individual though and I know that there are others on here who have found different paths to success. I have around 60g per day and don't find it difficult but in the beginning if you are going that path, you will need to find out what spikes your blood sugar and what doesn't and the only way to do that at home is with a meter. I can have small, and I mean small, amounts of rice, pasta and potatoes but I can't have porridge at all, it's evil for me and bread is pretty bad too. That's me, you will find that every one of us on here is different and what works for me may not work for you so test test test! Couple that with good portion control and some exercise and off you go! :)

It's not the end of the world, in fact it's a grand chance to put yourself on the path to great health. Look on this as an opportunity and you will be fine.

Like someone else said ask as many question as you need to. It's only by questioning that we learn after all. Good Luck! :happy:

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Sparky l am a Type 2 and diagnosed in november last year l use the Freedom Freestyle Lite meter very easy to use, Abbot Healthcare will send you one free of charge it comes with about 10 free strips.
l understand that the strips 2 boxes of 50strips are £33 inc P & P you will find at the chemist they vary between 22 and 28£ per 50 strips..
The phone number for customer care is on the website link and to order strips just ask them for the orderline..
If you haven't sent in the request to the Dr for a meter and strips just request strips for the meter you choose.you may find that easier to get.
You may well find reading here the nhs wont grant you a meter or strips and say.... only need once a week or so you will also read on here that it is ermm ermm ... incorrect info from them as usual (polite version)

Oh and you get a mixed response to changing the finger prick pin l think most of us don't bother unless we end up after about 4++++ weeks going ouch :p

Get the medicine exemption certificate from a chemist your Dr will need to sign and date it make sure they do it from when you were diagnosed so you can get back money for metformin. You can get them from your dr but may be easier from the chemist.

Keep a record of your blood glucose do it pre meal and then 2 hrs post all info is around this site either forum or main pages.

I dropped carbs to about 100-120/day but still felt hungry and was unstable so said agghhh sod it and now do up to 30/day, not hungry and bloods are well under control (so far) how can l complain l have chocolate every night never did that on a normal human diet :happy:

MID:)

Reactions: 4 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
SD Code free strips are £7.00 for £50. So quite a saving from the prices quoted by Mud.

Cara

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Yup but the SD has a lot of really bad write ups and reviews, l checked it out and backed off from getting it.