Type 2s: How long did it take to get HbA1C below 42

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My initial diagnosis for type 2 had a HbA1C of 99 back last October. Four months later it was 59 this February. Initially, I cut out things high in sugar, such as breakfast cereals and in December I discovered the LCHF diet and have been gradually cutting out carbs, most recently eating cauliflower rice instead of rice in curries.

I was inspired by the videos of Jason Fung to start intermittent fasting a couple of months ago, which help lose weigh and reduce blood sugar levels. My HbA1C test this week showed 44, which is in the pre-diabetic range (42-47). I am hoping to get into the non-diabetic range (below 42) for my next blood test in three months time. So, I am hoping to get down to non-diabetic levels within 10 months. How long has it taken other people with type 2 to get their HbA1C to under 42 and how did they achieve that?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took 3 1/2 months for me from an
HbA1c of 87 (10.1) 13 Oct 2015 to
HbA1c of 36 (5.4) on 26 Jan 2016.
I did a more extreme version of what you have done.
Cut carbs almost completely and cut breakfast so very low carb and intermittent fasting.
In that period I had also lost 2 stone in weight.
Jason Fung and this forum were also my main inspirations.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I think that everyone is different when it comes to this, I had been diabetic for almost 10yrs when I found this site and lchf so, not the same situation as yourself but I got off of meds in less than 3 months and my HbA1c went from 66 to 40 in that period, and I've maintained that with results always around the 40 mark and no medication. My initial HbA1c was 93 at diagnosis.
The important thing is that you have brought your figures steadily down since going low carb. Well done for that and good luck for your next HbA1c and for a healthy future :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c at diagnosis was 73 in mid October 2013. At the beginning of February, I tested at 37, and have gone slightly lower (to 31) since. I have never taken medication.

Within weeks of diagnosis I had started trimming back carbs, and coincidentally lost weight and have ended up very slight.

Everyone is different and my feeling is my body hadn't sustained too much damage at the point of diagnosis and it has been able to recover well. I hope I can continue to maintain my current position, but nobody knows what the future holds. Each of us can only do our best with the circumstances we are handed.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I was diagnosed at the start of 2016 with an HBA1C of 97. I refused meds and instead switched to low carb eating. After 3 months it was down to 49, at 6 months it was down to 47. At a year it was 37. So somewhere between 6 months and a year.

I don't know if I can get it any lower. I possibly could cut out more carbs if I had to but I have a very busy life, I work full time and often have to eat lunch "on the go" so rely on things like Lidl hi protein rolls once or twice a week. I also have a husband and two sons who all eat carbs and there are times when I can't modify the dishes any more. Eg I will sometimes have some carrots or Peas because I am cooking a roast and I can't be bothered to do a separate set of veg just for me. I won't eat the roast potatoes or Yorkshire pudding though!

My own experience is that, even though my HbA1c is "good" I cannot increase my Carb level. And I still have very high readings in the morning until I eat something. But everyone is different, and your circumstances might allow you to be more restrictive with your carb intake which might get your levels lower in a shorter period of time.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it toke me around 6 month well less but I only get my HbA1c measured every 3-4 month so I started out with 57 then 3 month later 44 and then 3 month further 34 ...so I wen´t to normal quite fast ... did that by going 1000 calories 6 month and lower carbs , and later also did intermittent fasting for 4 month...

now eat around 150 grams of carbs daily take metformin 2 x850 mg and do burn 3 times a week 2000 calories plus weightlifting in maschines.. so now my main strategy is to do so much exercise and build so much muscle mass that I can keep on eating an actually to a diabetic rather high amount of carbs daily 150 grams- 200 grams...

don´t know if that will work long time.. so maybe I´ll go lower in carbs on most days .... we´ll see how much strength I have there... mostly is is about having good habits and a lot of good recipees with low carb content

Reactions: alienskin

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Art Of Flowers
We are all different. Mine went down from 95 to 50 in first 3 months and then to 33 after a further 3 months. Now crept up a bit but still OK. I didn't go very low carb, just restricted the carbs that my body couldn't cope with. For me testing and testing again was what worked for me.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
It took me about 10 months to get from 123.5 to 40 (Dec last year)

Not doing too well at the moment though as although I still walk, I have had to cancel gym membership due to an injiry in my arm which can wake me at night - i am on painkillers etc ... hopefully if I can have my scan as scheduled next week, I can work on sorting myself out .... I think being in pain, discomfort and eating too much has not helped recent levels

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took 3 months to get from 88 to 32.

I didn't over complicate or over think. I just stopped eating all obvious Carbs.

I didn't test much, I have never used 50 strips in a month.

I didn't waste time experimenting or trying to find substitutes for Carby foods. I did try Lidl rolls for a bit, but soon realised they are disgusting and nothing like real bread and it felt like you had a brick in your stomach after eating just 1/2. I don't really like Cauli Rice either so don't bother anymore, roasted and spiced Cauli is much nicer with a Curry anyway..

I love my diet, and can't imagine why I ever thought Potatoes, Rice, Bread or Pasta were necessary.

I certainly don't miss feeling slow and lethargic and sleepy after a meal.

P.S. I am lucky that HID is an excellent and imaginative cook and loves our new way of eating as much as me.

Last edited:

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon it took me 6 months to get to 39 from 114

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took me exactly 3 months to lower my HbA1c from 11% (96) in Sep 2015 to 5.5%(37) Dec 2015

LCHF with Intermittent Fasting. No exercise.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Under.3 months from 90s to 40. Been in the low 30s since. Now eat anything

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took me around 6 months from diagnosis at 60-62, to get down to 40, eating keto/LCHF and I've stayed at mid to low pre-diabetic levels (40-45) and on my low carb lifestyle for 3 years since then. However other things can and do affect my levels - coming off statins knocked about 1mmol/l off my readings, and other circumstances beyond my control such as sickness, pain, a bad fall, stress, etc, send them up again. It's definitely long term management/control that matters more to me rather than the speed at which I managed to get my initial high levels down to more acceptable ones, and unfortunately getting there isn't necessarily a sure fire guarantee that we can or will stay there... :(

Robbity

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was longer than lots of these posters. I have never taken any medication though which might make a difference

I was 97 at diagnosis. Got to 49 within three months, but three months after that had only moved it down to 47 so I suspected that that was as good as I could get. However, after another 6 months I had another test and had got down to 37. So somewhere between 6 months and a year.
I'm due another test in July so it will be interesting to see what that result is. I go on holiday on June so will have to be very careful!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took me ages.

My first 'D' HbA1c was borderline - and that was after years of low carbing. Heaven knows what it would have been with 'normal' carb intake.
So I went even lower carb, and my home testing improved significantly.
But it was an ongoing battle, not helped by the fact my doc would only do HbA1cs for me annually if they came out at below 48.

Interesting experience, really.
I went from around 80ish g carbs a day and an HbA1c of 48
through 30-40g carbs a day and an HbA1c of around 45-42
down (most recently) to below 20g carbs a day and HbA1cs below 40

But the thing that makes me scratch my head is that my HbA1cs are always much higher than my blood glucose self tests and Libre suggest they should be. (an HbA1c of 42 approximately equates to an average blood glucose reading of 7mmol.) So how can a person whose bg rarely reaches 7mmol/l end up with an HbA1c of 42? - see chart below to see what I mean)

hba1c-chart.jpg

So now I just shrug and consider myself a high glycator - and place very little faith in HbA1cs, both for diagnosis and for monitoring control.
https://patient.info/doctor/glycated-haemoglobin-hba1c

I go by home prick tests, the Libre, and try and keep my blood glucose as steady as possible, since I think the sharp rises and falls in blood glucose levels cause the most harm, along with sustained high levels.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree entirely with @Brunneria about the inadequacies of the HbA1c as I also see much higher results than my very frequent (at all times) testing and my Libre would suggest. I hardly ever see levels over 7 post meal and then only briefly. I have never had DP or high base line levels right from diagnosis (4s and 5s) and 4s throughout the night (high 3s sometimes when asleep) and have low averages. So why my HbA1cs equate to an average of 7mmol/l plus is a mystery and must mean my red blood cells live a lot longer than average and I am a high glycator.

I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 53 in January 2014. By June it was 46 and has dropped steadily to the current level of 40. Gradual reduction of carbs from about 100g down to 30g.in first 9 months. Lost 33% of my weight (BMI reduced from 31 to 21 in first 9 months) Morning to pre-lunch levels improved when I stopped eating carbs at breakfast. Just a coffee with cream.

Reactions: maglil55

Mark_1

I guess in theory it can be done in 8 to 12 weeks from any starting point. The way I understand it HbA1C measures the amount of sugar which gets stuck to the blood when levels go high. A persons blood is renewed/replaced over an 8 to 12 week cycle, depending on the individual. So no matter what the start levels was if someone stopped all sugar intake for a complete blood turnover cycle then they would have very low levels when next tested. Not sure how this would pan out in practice and I guess just stopping all sugar intake isn't that easy but by the looks of it some people on here have managed it. Thoughts anyone?

I remember reading somewhere that someone who's blood stayed in the system for 8 weeks would have a lower HbA1C that someone who took 12 weeks. Longer for the sugar to get stuck hence higher levels so its not the best indicator anyway.

Last edited:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hmm, I'm torn with this thread. On one hand I can understand people being keen to know when they might move into the non-d zone. On the other hand, we are all different so it is not comparing apples with apples. If it takes a person longer than others, this could be disheartening, I think.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, I'm torn with this thread. On one hand I can understand people being keen to know when they might move into the non-d zone. On the other hand, we are all different so it is not comparing apples with apples. If it takes a person longer than others, this could be disheartening, I think.
I know what you mean. I was disheartened because people o here seemed to be achieving much lower levels within a few weeks, whereas I took months. But I'm now clear about what works or doesn't work for me and try not to compare myself with other people.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I deliberately didn't push my BG down.

I read the horror stories about retinopathy caused by chasing BG down too fast, and looked at reversal, rather than diet control, so I didn't rush it.
It seemed to have worked for me.