Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
One cup of green tea (no milk or sugar), one Staffordshire oatcake with three chipolata sausages. Later, I'll have another cup of coffee or two and more green tea. Lunch will probably be spinach soup with some sort of cheese and my evening meal will be in the hands of my wife - likely to be fish of some sort with green vegetables. I may treat myself to a glass of wine this evening. Lord, how I miss buttered toast and Marmite!

bitofagit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday

B - 10.15am - 2 slices vortigen toasted with butter, half cup greek yoghurt with sprinkle museli, large filter coffee

D - 5.30pm - cold cuts with dollop of potatoe/greens hash, chocolate and chestnut puree roulad (it's all gone now)

Ashybang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greek yoghurt with a handful of blueberries
Rump steak with lots of salad and a few pickles for dinner
Coffee x 3 cups
Orange squash very weak......
Handful or two of tablets with a glass of water

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One cup of green tea (no milk or sugar), one Staffordshire oatcake with three chipolata sausages. Later, I'll have another cup of coffee or two and more green tea. Lunch will probably be spinach soup with some sort of cheese and my evening meal will be in the hands of my wife - likely to be fish of some sort with green vegetables. I may treat myself to a glass of wine this evening. Lord, how I miss buttered toast and Marmite!Hello @David_A_Hughes and welcome to this type 2 thread for foodies. We're pleased you could join us.
Hello @David_A_Hughes and welcome to this type 2 thread for foodies. We're pleased you could join us.

It helps to focus on the many delicious foods we can safely eat and try not to dwell too much on those high carb 'goodies' that we're better off without. You can still enjoy butter with Marmite, for instance, as long as you find something low carb to spread it on.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greek yoghurt with a handful of blueberries
Rump steak with lots of salad and a few pickles for dinner
Coffee x 3 cups
Orange squash very weak......
Handful or two of tablets with a glass of water
Evening @Ashybang . Welcome to this type 2 thread for foodies. It's good to see you here.
You've made a great start. We hope posting on this thread will help.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Yesterday:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns, all seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Blue cheese stir-fry using pointed cabbage, Blue Stilton, chestnut mushrooms, onion, thyme, double cream, white wine vinegar, topped with parsley.
Steamed French beans and mangetout with toasted pine nuts.
Water to drink.

D: Seafood salad made with crab, brown shrimps, lettuce, finely shredded red cabbage, apple peel, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Welsh onion and mint with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with toasted almonds.
Water to swallow tablets.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Salmon green Thai curry, with red peppers, on a bed of cauliflower rice.
PXL_20231213_134003317.PORTRAIT.jpg

bitofagit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday

B - 10.30am - Bad. Knew it before opening my mouth, but carried on anyway. The numbers must have shot up. How embarrassed am I?

D - 5.15pm - Angelic, if I say so myself. Piece grilled salmon on brocolli with zero carb noodles in Thai broth. It was a little trashed when I had a mince pie.

Reactions: Guilty

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Yesterday:

B: Two poached eggs with a knob of butter and avocado seasoned with black pepper, plus a wedge of Duckett's Caerphilly.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

Yesterday: we helped a friend to celebrate her birthday (well, somebody has to) with a festive lunch at her favourite eatery.

L: Aperitif: gin on the rocks with a slice of lemon.
Prawns piccantes sautéed with tomato and basil, garlic and chilli.
Side salad of lamb's lettuce, tomato, cucumber and taggiasca olives dressed with vinaigrette.
Water to drink.
Roast pheasant with lashings of luscious gravy (did somebody mention port?)
At least, the cranberry sauce was served separately.
Steamed carrot batons, broccoli and French beans.
Spinach with garlic and butter plus deep fried zucchini matchsticks, some of which I swapped for extra spinach.
Skipped pud.
Cappuccino.
Brandy on the house.

D: None of us was really hungry, but we made a seafood salad using mussels, brown shrimps, lettuce, baby plum tomatoes, celery, Romano peppers, Kalamata olives, mint and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with roasted macadamia nuts. It all disappeared.

Reactions: Guilty and IanBish

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is. I love a salmon curry. I usually put a few button mushrooms and some veg in too. But the rice was cauliflower rice, so I didn't this time.
Evening @IanBish. I like seafood curries in general and almost always have mushrooms on hand. They're so versatile and readily take up the flavours of the marinades and sauces they're cooked in.

Reactions: IanBish

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Yesterday:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Salmon fillets baked with broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, double cream and lemon verbena.
Steamed French beans and mangetout smothered with butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with crab and brown shrimps, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Kalamata olives, mint and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with toasted almonds.

bitofagit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday

B - 11.45am - 2 slices vortigen toasted, half cup greek yoghurt with sprinkle museli, large filter coffee

D - 5.30pm - bangers and mash

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Yesterday:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and three crevettes seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Walnut and mushroom nut roast made with onions, eggs and flax 'egg', garlic, stock and rosemary.
Roasted Brussels sprouts with lemon zest and Parmesan cheese.
Carrots, onions and apple peel sautéed in butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with king prawns and brown shrimps, lettuce, Romano peppers, celery, baby plum tomatoes, Halkidiki olives, lemon verbena and salad onions, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with roasted macadamia nuts..

bitofagit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yesterday

B - 10.00am - taken in cafe, 2 poached eggs, bacon on a slice of toasted sourdough

HEADS UP: ........ bit of a rant approaching .........

When I have ordered TOAST from the menu, why am I presented with warm bread?? Warm bread which has very little (if any) colouration which may be discerned as having been toasted?? Toast is bread which, having been subjected to heat from a grill, gradually burns and you may retrieve said toast at a colour which suits.
Rant over.

D - 6.00pm - scallops with grilled parma ham on pea puree, followed by dover sole, 3 glasses w. wine and cheese cake to finish

bitofagit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and live light - mash was the aforesaid potatoe
at present I am not looking to be zero carb, (although that may be my position after next bloods), just trying to keep low carb

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, and live light - mash was the aforesaid potatoe
at present I am not looking to be zero carb, (although that may be my position after next bloods), just trying to keep low carb
Evening @bitofagit. Well, if you can get away with mashed potatoes (I couldn't) and you like them, then why not?

For those who can't handle spuds, some here have discovered that mashed swedes make a reasonable substitute.
I take the easy route myself. I avoid potatoes entirely and use other root vegetables sparingly.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Yesterday:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado, seasoned with black pepper and a wedge of Duckett's Caerphilly.
Water to swallow tablet.
Double espresso.

L: Packed lunch made with leftover walnut and mushroom nut roast.
Chicory, Romano peppers, celery sticks and baby plum tomatoes with a dollop of home-made mayonnaise for dipping.
Leftover pheasant (brought home in a doggy bag on Wednesday).
Almonds and hazelnuts.
Water to drink.

D: Smoked salmon and cream cheese salad using lettuce, celery, baby plum tomatoes, salad onions and mustard cress, dressed with olive oil and a touch of lemon juice, topped with toasted pumpkin seeds.