Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10.3 and now, in addition to the Metformin and Gliclazide, I've been prescribed Alogliptin. This has made a difference to my readings during the day, but what are all those of you with readings below 7 worried about!?

Of cause that our blood glucose will slide upwards if we dont keep this strickt control.
Many problems and adding conditions from high blood glucose seems to be raised even from a only somewhat raised blood glucose like over 6.5 in average.
Some experts like for instance Bernstein believe a truely normal blood glucose between meals is 4.5 and that also is what diabetics should strive for .

BUT THAT SAID : people that do take insuline affecting medication have to make sure they don´t go too low and therefore need to have a higher blood glucose in general

Last edited:

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
10.3 and now, in addition to the Metformin and Gliclazide, I've been prescribed Alogliptin. This has made a difference to my readings during the day, but what are all those of you with readings below 7 worried about!?
Not sure I'm worried - though maybe I should be?? - advice I was given (nb taking insulin and metformin) was fasting between 5.0 and 7.0 was fine - after meals below 10 was the figure to aim for. Generally I fit in to these parameters - though I realise others seem to have received different advice

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure I'm worried - though maybe I should be?? - advice I was given (nb taking insulin and metformin) was fasting between 5.0 and 7.0 was fine - after meals below 10 was the figure to aim for. Generally I fit in to these parameters - though I realise others seem to have received different advice
With my new medication, I find my average BG during the day has come down, but I still get readings of 10+ first thing in the morning. Depressing.

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
With my new medication, I find my average BG during the day has come down, but I still get readings of 10+ first thing in the morning. Depressing.

Still struggling to understand some of the anomalies - but I have been instructed to take all my metformin (maximum effective dose apparently) at night - and have had that queried by a health professional on here as being pretty unique!!

Have also read that metformin has little or no effect on actually lowering BG levels - but is taking it at night doing some good?? Who knows??

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Still struggling to understand some of the anomalies - but I have been instructed to take all my metformin (maximum effective dose apparently) at night - and have had that queried by a health professional on here as being pretty unique!!

Have also read that metformin has little or no effect on actually lowering BG levels - but is taking it at night doing some good?? Who knows??
As far I'm aware metformin prevents uptake of glucose from food into the liver so ... less can be released. So taking at night without food wouldnt make sense to me! Unless your food intake is primarily at night??? But must be with food otherwise metformin doesn't process unless slow digestion and stomach not emptying but not guaranteed it will in sleep!