Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Fatlad2000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks, I was diagnosed with T2 late last year, although I managed to get my levels down to 5, they are recently at 10 - 11. Doc has changed my dose of metformin to 850mg, 1 in the morning and 1 at night but with no luck. Any ideas on how to reduce my levels other than diet as that is relatively good.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks, I was diagnosed with T2 late last year, although I managed to get my levels down to 5, they are recently at 10 - 11. Doc has changed my dose of metformin to 850mg, 1 in the morning and 1 at night but with no luck. Any ideas on how to reduce my levels other than diet as that is relatively good.
Hi @Fatlad2000 many things can affect your Bg levels especially the heat in some cases. You say your diet is relatively good, what sort of things do you eat? Can you reduce carbs any more? You could put this question on the Diabetes Discussions/Questions thread to open it up for more discussion. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh it is I’m just sitting under the shade of a beautiful tree looking out to sea, this little bit of relaxation and calm is what will get me through another working week.
@jayney27 Enjoy the tranquillity. I have been thinking about those of you at work in these conditions and sympathising. I worked in air conditioned classrooms for over 25 years - IT teacher, very few air con classrooms elsewhere - so never a problem but my wife worked in an office where it was never pleasant even in an average summer. Hard to see how hot, unpleasant conditions can't add stress and raise bg level.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 Enjoy the tranquillity. I have been thinking about those of you at work in these conditions and sympathising. I worked in air conditioned classrooms for over 25 years - IT teacher, very few air con classrooms elsewhere - so never a problem but my wife worked in an office where it was never pleasant even in an average summer. Hard to see how hot, unpleasant conditions can't add stress and raise bg level.
Aww bless you, it’s never an ideal temperature where I work, all of our office space is converted farm buildings, far too cold in winter and sweltering when it’s warm so these past couple of weeks have been extremely hot. I love the warmth and I enjoy my job, but unfortunately our retirement age keeps getting pushed further and further away. When we have such lovely weather I wish I could enjoy some of it instead of having to squeeze it in alongside everything else that needs to be done over the weekend. :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.4 today @Diawara brilliant results you should post your story among the success entries. @ally1 still in the 8s well done.
thankyou ianpspurs i will post soon as you advise.... im a bit slow at posting but one thing i shall do is send a copy of my results to my previous diabetic nurse and the nurse on the desmond course who both said i would be on the metformin for life...........

Reactions: geefull

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Totally forgot earlier today is exactly 3 years since I started LC. testing and recording. FBG that day was 7.1. Today, with no Metformin for 8 days it was 4.4. Reasonable ROI over 3 years.

You are doing very well without metformin for a while now. Such an inspiration for us who are also hoping to get off metformin eventually. I know you are a low carber, but do you have any cheat days? How many meals do you eat in a day?

Reactions: millenium

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
low carbs for me..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the warmth and I enjoy my job, but unfortunately our retirement age keeps getting pushed further and further away. When we have such lovely weather I wish I could enjoy some of it instead of having to squeeze it in alongside everything else that needs to be done over the weekend. :)
@jayney27 The silver lining to the cloud of my parents passing was that I could allow my wife to retire at 59. No idea yet if I am right but probably extended her life by a decade. Working until 9 , 2 or 3 nights a week with maybe 1.5 hrs travel each way plus Saturday mornings and mad random targets was a killer for her. You can't take time with loved ones to the bank but it is priceless. No dig at anyone else just picking up on the unfairness of changing retirement age for the 1953/4 cohort of women

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are doing very well without metformin for a while now. Such an inspiration for us who are also hoping to get off metformin eventually. I know you are a low carber, but do you have any cheat days? How many meals do you eat in a day?
@Keesha thanks for the support. I started taking vitamin b complex and b12 at the same time as stopping metformin. It was nothing to do with diabetes but interesting anyhow. Meals can vary. Some days 3, some 2 and today will be 1. The common theme is to stay at max 30 gms carbs- but 35 or 40 wouldn't freak me - and as high fibre as I can - often 40 gms. I haven't tried fasting completely without metformin. Hope that helps and lots of people would say 30 gms is not proper low carb. Wander over to the what have you eaten today thread to see what others eat many stopped metformin by their methods. So far no cheat days - ATM can't think of anything worth cheating with! I am being more thoughtful with exercise - i.e. making sure I work not go through the motions.

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 The silver lining to the cloud of my parents passing was that I could allow my wife to retire at 59. No idea yet if I am right but probably extended her life by a decade. Working until 9 , 2 or 3 nights a week with maybe 1.5 hrs travel each way plus Saturday mornings and mad random targets was a killer for her. You can't take time with loved ones to the bank but it is priceless. No dig at anyone else just picking up on the unfairness of changing retirement age for the 1953/4 cohort.
That was a lovely gesture @ianpspurs i currently have another 13 yrs to go!

Reactions: millenium