Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, you've told me before but I thought that the person had to be in the discussion with you at the time. Blonde head on but I'm learning, lol.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
My red head isn't much better, ID forgotten I'd already told you! :)

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm sure @Clivethedrive will be along soon but the 3 reasons for high fasting bloods are:-

The Dawn Phenomenon

The problem: A natural rise in blood sugar that happens between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. Our bodies start doing things to get ready for the day by releasing hormones, then blood sugar rises, which may be caused by the liver producing glucose. This can be frustrating for people with diabetes because blood sugar may be high on some mornings no matter what you ate or how much you exercised the day before.The solution: Treatment from your doctor can help. Your doctor can adjust your insulin so that peak action happens in the morning hours if you have type 1 diabetes. For people with type 2 diabetes, oral medications may help reduce how much glucose the liver releases in the early hours.

The Somogyi Effect

The problem: The Somogyi effect explains that morning blood sugar highs are the result of how your body responds to a low blood sugar reaction (hypoglycemia) you had while you were sleeping. Overnight blood sugar lows are risky because you can sleep right through them. They can be caused by taking more insulin than needed, not eating enough food, or drinking alcohol.The solution: Your doctor may suggest having a snack before bed to prevent nighttime low blood sugar. Or, he or she may tweak how much insulin you need to take at night.

Waning Insulin

The problem: Sometimes insulin can wear off overnight.The solution: Your doctor can fix this problem by changing your insulin regimen.Know that can be tricky to figure out which one of these causes is behind your morning blood sugar highs, though. Your doctor may ask you to check your blood sugar at 3 a.m. for a few nights in a row. Your 3 a.m. numbers will be compared to your blood sugar readings before bed and upon waking. Then your doctor may be able to make a diagnosis and fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I'm sure @Clivethedrive will be along soon but the 3 reasons for high fasting bloods are:-

The Dawn Phenomenon

The problem: A natural rise in blood sugar that happens between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. Our bodies start doing things to get ready for the day by releasing hormones, then blood sugar rises, which may be caused by the liver producing glucose. This can be frustrating for people with diabetes because blood sugar may be high on some mornings no matter what you ate or how much you exercised the day before.The solution: Treatment from your doctor can help. Your doctor can adjust your insulin so that peak action happens in the morning hours if you have type 1 diabetes. For people with type 2 diabetes, oral medications may help reduce how much glucose the liver releases in the early hours.

The Somogyi Effect

The problem: The Somogyi effect explains that morning blood sugar highs are the result of how your body responds to a low blood sugar reaction (hypoglycemia) you had while you were sleeping. Overnight blood sugar lows are risky because you can sleep right through them. They can be caused by taking more insulin than needed, not eating enough food, or drinking alcohol.The solution: Your doctor may suggest having a snack before bed to prevent nighttime low blood sugar. Or, he or she may tweak how much insulin you need to take at night.

Waning Insulin

The problem: Sometimes insulin can wear off overnight.The solution: Your doctor can fix this problem by changing your insulin regimen.Know that can be tricky to figure out which one of these causes is behind your morning blood sugar highs, though. Your doctor may ask you to check your blood sugar at 3 a.m. for a few nights in a row. Your 3 a.m. numbers will be compared to your blood sugar readings before bed and upon waking. Then your doctor may be able to make a diagnosis and fix the problem.
Well explained ickihun,,the extra fat is olive oil or avocado , fatty bacon , fills you up and warms you up and contrary to popular belief ...does not put weight on you

Reactions: 17 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Clive, my good man,;) expand on that please, Up my fat intake in general ? If my BGs are high in the mornings :bigtears: - (and they generally come down during the day into the low 5s) - what can I be doing the night before to make the FBG in the morning lower ???
Whilst we would all love to see lower bs levels first thing in the morning...the reason it's the last thing to subside is that our livers are still excreting the excess glucose that it had stored before we started lchf,so do not worry ,it's just our livers doing thier job
My own fasting figure did not get below 5.00 mmols until lchf for 6 months...so hang in there your doing well

Reactions: 16 people
P

paula.nolan42

The Dawn Phenomenon

I choose Option 1 :) - what do I win :happy:

Great information thank you @ickihun

Reactions: 7 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You mention low carb snacks before bed, what kind of snack do you have if you don't mind me asking? I've noticed for weeks now like clock work I wake up after 2 hours of sleep, wondered if snack before bed would stop this liver dump which I'm sure I get. Thanks have good healthy day
Try to have some ham or chicken, olives, nuts (if you can eat nuts), sugar free jelly, a little salad bowl with some Mayo, something not too heavy before bed and some water. You need to experiment really, everyone is different, but they are good examples :)

Reactions: 12 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try to have some ham or chicken, olives, nuts (if you can eat nuts), sugar free jelly, a little salad bowl with some Mayo, something not too heavy before bed and some water. You need to experiment really, everyone is different, but they are good examples :)
Thanks for the help. I will try it for few nights, I do eat nuts every day love them, habit I got into in Iran, Iranians are lovers of nuts, I will try few of the things you suggested and see how it hoes. Thanks very much, and good health to you all

Reactions: 16 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Bit Cooler Today 85-90F

Reactions: 30 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent reading Kim, and I've just noticed your new profile photo, you're looking decidedly slimmer these days lovely lady :happy:
Thank you Alzebra! A bit of a way still to go, but I will get there ...... eventually :D

Reactions: 15 people