Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.6 this morning - same as yesterday. Been getting a lot of readings below 4! which seems weird as I'm not on any medication but doing the Newcastle diet.

Maybe my meter is faulty!

I hope you aren't concerned about these 3s. I also get loads of them, and I consider it to be a good thing; provided I (and you) feel fine. Scores in the 3s are only really a concern for T2s, when on glucose lowering medication, such as Gliclazide or insulin (Metformin isn't in that group, whether or not you're taking it), or if you feel unwell when it happens.

In my view, many non-diabetics have periods when their bloods naturally run in the 3s, but they simply never know, because they don't test. Down into the 2s, it's getting a bit too low, and when I've been there, I usually feel very hungry, but to be honest, it rarely happens unless I'm pre-meal or I haven't eaten a massive amount.

Good work and good luck with the ND.

Reactions: 10 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you aren't concerned about these 3s. I also get loads of them, and I consider it to be a good thing; provided I (and you) feel fine. Scores in the 3s are only really a concern for T2s, when on glucose lowering medication, such as Gliclazide or insulin (Metformin isn't in that group, whether or not you're taking it), or if you feel unwell when it happens.

In my view, many non-diabetics have periods when their bloods naturally run in the 3s, but they simply never know, because they don't test. Down into the 2s, it's getting a bit too low, and when I've been there, I usually feel very hungry, but to be honest, it rarely happens unless I'm pre-meal or I haven't eaten a massive amount.

Good work and good luck with the ND.
Thanks AndBreathe,
I'm not concerned as such just curious. Good to hear others being in the 3's.. Yes I feel fine in the 3's. Not taking any medication so it's not a worry for me.
Well I have had a couple of high 2's but felt ok just hungry as you said.

This is my second go at the Newcastle Diet, lost 32kg the first time. So far weight loss has been disappointing as I've only lost 5 kilos in 4 weeks. Will do it for another few weeks and then go back to low carb. BMI is 24 now so it's all good :)

Thanks for your reply

Jim

Reactions: 4 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 this morning. Sorry, been absent from here for the last few weeks. Life has become busy and there are only so many hours within a day.

Bit of nasty weather happening today, with a low of -2c coming for tonight. The forecast is also hinting at a bit of snow.

Yesterday was really nice, with a high of 18c. Plants are coming to life, but obviously they are in for a shock tonight. Here's a couple shots of my neighbor's tulips. Don't think they are faring well today in the high winds.

Mark
17752678021_a6f1a47a70_b.jpg

17752716361_70ae2bf9bb_b.jpg

Reactions: 15 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.6 this morning - same as yesterday. Been getting a lot of readings below 4! which seems weird as I'm not on any medication but doing the Newcastle diet.

Maybe my meter is faulty!

Do you feel OK though?

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you feel OK though?
Yeah I feel fine thanks vit90.
I've tested in the 3's in the morning 7 times so far this month. And also 12 times in my late evening test before dinner (plus a couple of high 2's)
I'm on the Newcastle Diet and my morning test is a good 12 hours after my last meal of a plate of vegetables.
No ill effects.
If it keeps up like this in a few weeks I might ask my Diabetes Nurse for another HbA1c.

Jim

Reactions: 7 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1......only just started checking BG so have no real clue if that is good or bad? Has been the same 2 mornings in a row so far and both bedtime checks have gone back down to 5.1 and 5.0 respectively ....hope that means I am doing something right ??

Reactions: 18 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
5.1......only just started checking BG so have no real clue if that is good or bad? Has been the same 2 mornings in a row so far and both bedtime checks have gone back down to 5.1 and 5.0 respectively ....hope that means I am doing something right ??

5.1 is very good, you are off to a flying start, congratulations.

Reactions: 12 people
S

Sable_Jan

Yep, that's good. Do you test before and 2 hours after meals too? You are looking for a rise if no more than 2.0 and ideally a maximum of 7.8....

Reactions: 6 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
This morning 9.1 lowest was 7.9 but only been diagnosed a week diet and exercise only.

Reactions: 15 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I feel fine thanks vit90.
I've tested in the 3's in the morning 7 times so far this month. And also 12 times in my late evening test before dinner (plus a couple of high 2's)
I'm on the Newcastle Diet and my morning test is a good 12 hours after my last meal of a plate of vegetables.
No ill effects.
If it keeps up like this in a few weeks I might ask my Diabetes Nurse for another HbA1c.

Jim

Am quite envious! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting this morning 6.2

Can't remember if I posted yesterday (Sat), so fasting was: 6.7, up all day then down to pre supper level of 6.0

Robbity

Reactions: 13 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, that's good. Do you test before and 2 hours after meals too? You are looking for a rise if no more than 2.0 and ideally a maximum of 7.8....
Yes testing before and after meals...tried to buck the system yesterday by eating a taboo ham salad baguette with a packet of cheddars for lunch on Saturday....the result as you will see was a huge spike but the good thing is it dropped very quickly back to reasonable

Saturday...Wake up fasting test = 5.1 Pre breakfast 5.1 Post breakfast 5.8 Pre lunch 5.8 Post Lunch 14.9 pre dinner 6.1 post dinner 5-0...bedtime test =5.1

Sunday...Wake up fasting test 5.1 pre lunch 5.3 post lunch 6.2 pre dinner 6.1 post dinner 6.7...............how does that sound? I know I messed up with the trial lunch Saturday...just wanted to see what effect it had and have learned from it...bread and savoury biscuits is a NO....not sure if the other result are okay?

Reactions: 7 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes testing before and after meals...tried to buck the system yesterday by eating a taboo ham salad baguette with a packet of cheddars for lunch on Saturday....the result as you will see was a huge spike but the good thing is it dropped very quickly back to reasonable

Saturday...Wake up fasting test = 5.1 Pre breakfast 5.1 Post breakfast 5.8 Pre lunch 5.8 Post Lunch 14.9 pre dinner 6.1 post dinner 5-0...bedtime test =5.1

Sunday...Wake up fasting test 5.1 pre lunch 5.3 post lunch 6.2 pre dinner 6.1 post dinner 6.7...............how does that sound? I know I messed up with the trial lunch Saturday...just wanted to see what effect it had and have learned from it...bread and savoury biscuits is a NO....not sure if the other result are okay?
Sunday looking good. Looks like you've got with the program, use your testing to check out the boundaries.

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

Looks like you are doing great and learned from your test. It is possible that a small bag of cheddars WITHOUT the baguette ;) might be ok. Maybe if you have a salad or frittata .. something low carb anyhow. There a table in the main DUCK website that shows acceptable "post" figures but I always work to a max of 7.8.... Some prefer their figures to be lower

Reactions: 3 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like you are doing great and learned from your test. It is possible that a small bag of cheddars WITHOUT the baguette ;) might be ok. Maybe if you have a salad or frittata .. something low carb anyhow. There a table in the main DUCK website that shows acceptable "post" figures but I always work to a max of 7.8.... Some prefer their figures to be lower
DUCK??? probably glaringly obvious what that is but not to me lol......I did learn a huge lesson....the cheddars I could do without...it's the bread I miss so much...am going to test out various breads to see what effect they have on my BG

Reactions: 2 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
DUCK??? probably glaringly obvious what that is but not to me lol......I did learn a huge lesson....the cheddars I could do without...it's the bread I miss so much...am going to test out various breads to see what effect they have on my BG
Have you tried burgen bread or sandwich thins. I can get away with 2 slices of burgen a day or 1 sandwich thin

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.