Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandy2011

Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

markd said:
Splashed out on a big jam doughnut at tea yesterday; 5.6 at bedtime, but down to 4.2 this morning.

Did have a couple of drinks before bed though, that always seems to knock it down by a few points.
Hello markd,
What kind of drinks are they if you don't mind?
I read from the forum that red wine is good.

markd

sandy2011 said:
Hello markd,
What kind of drinks are they if you don't mind?
I read from the forum that red wine is good.

Often a glass or two of red wine which is, as you say, often mentioned as a good thing from several perspectives. (the Resveratrol from red wine is thought to have some beneficial effect in helping to ward off breast cancer and also a cardio-protective effect - but these are still a bit controversial)

Also quite common (and what I had last night) is a Margarita - but I make no particular health claims for that, other than it relaxes me and tastes damned good!

I suppose I could wave my hands in the air and suggest that a combination of a modest number of carbs mixed with alcohol and taken before bed works the magic (and it really *does* seem to keep my fasting lower than red wine) but honestly I just like the taste.

Of course, if anyone else tries a Marks and Spencer pre-mixed Margarita before bedtime, I'd be interested to see if their fasting improves!!!

Joking aside, moderation should always be a goal with alcohol - there is a huge body of evidence that modest alcohol consumption is good for most people, but excess risk soon starts to rise if you overdo it!

All the best,

Mark

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

5.7 fasting

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Well, one week after being diagnosed with type 2 and a fasting reading of 14.4, it was at 8.4 last night, and I woke up to 9.6 after sleeping all night, which then went up to 14.8 after two slices of burgen bread for breakfast.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

5.9 fasting 6.4 2 hours after breakfast.

Douglas99, you had quite a rise after your 2 slices of Burgen, did you have it just as plain toast? You might find it has less effect on your levels if you had your 2 slices with a few rashers of bacon between them :wink: . The fat from the bacon slows the digestion of the carbs. Try it next time it may work for you too.

Ann

omer dalors

Long time no see - been away and not tested :oops: This morning was 8.9
Omer

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

6.2 at 08:00 today. I think I'm getting a cold :(

Viv 8)

Grazer

douglas99 said:
Well, one week after being diagnosed with type 2 and a fasting reading of 14.4, it was at 8.4 last night, and I woke up to 9.6 after sleeping all night, which then went up to 14.8 after two slices of burgen bread for breakfast.

Hi douglas, fasting BGs were my biggest problem on diagnosis, I found that what I went to bed with, I woke up with or worse. Your pre-bed BGs are quite high - do you snack on anything in the evening? I found that if I ate ANYTHING within 2-3 hours before bed, even an apple, my BG would be up at night and therefore in the morning. I used to have just half a glass (about 100mls) of low-fat milk before I went to bed. I experimented, and stopping that has reduced my fasting BGs by a whole 1. And of course, if your BG before brekky is high, it will be higher again after brekky! Don't get downheartened, after diagnosis it took weeks before my Bgs even STARTED to settle down a bit.
Good luck, it gets easier!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi all, Fasting 9.1 this morning. Am 'still' cranking up the levemir . :roll:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

5.0 fasting. 5.3 two hours post-breakfast.

sugarmog

7.5 at 6:30.Hopefully as a result of the general anaesthetic and exploretory op I had yesterday.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

• Fasting 6.4
  • @ 2 hours 6.4
  • = good breakfast

starlight1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people who have no manners

mine was 11. fasting. am working to get it lower.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

5.9 at 08:30. Still think I'm getting a cold! Wish it would hurry up!

Unless I'm allergic to the liqud I use in the washing machine! :shock:

Viv 8)

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals

8.5 at bedtime,curry and 1.5 chappati could account for that, 5.3 at 3am when I woke up and had a cuppa, then 6.6 on waking at 7:45am. Have noticed before that during the night bgs fall to 4.8 - 5.5. Why? :?

Grazer

They carry on falling in the night as your insulin brings it down slowly, hence low BGs in night, but in the morning "Dawn Phenomenon" occurs as your liver dumps sugar into your blood to ready you for the day. That's why sugars (fasting) are higher again. A non-diabetic has lower fasting sugars because their body can react faster with insulin to bring the excess morning sugar straight back down to normal. Ours takes more time!

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals

Thanks grazer, i's been puzzling me for a while. Dawn Phenomenon is a damned pest. The only way seems to be to have breakfast at 3am, and I'm sure won't be setting my alarm clock.

markd

4.3 at 10-30 this morning, rather late to be before breakfast, but had a lazy start to the day.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

6.0 at 08:30 today. And I've put about 6lbs back on, with my 'break' from very-low-carb :( . Never mind, it'll soon come off again. Onwards and downwards! :wink:

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Oct 18th - 6.1 at 08:30
Today - 5.8 at 08:30

Viv 8)