Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Type 2's : What was your fasting blood glucose in a morn

Good morning, 5.6 this morning and between 5 and 6 unless I've overtreated a night time hypo But this is the new improved Debbie lol because I used to wake up with a minimum of 12 for over 2 years, think I'm getting my act together finally.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

5.4 fasting

eta 5.6 two hours post-breakfast + exercise

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

I haven't posted for a few days because I've deliberately upped my carbs in preparation for a home GGT, and what with that and a hectic weekend I haven't been testing.

I intended to do the test with Lucozade yesterday morning . . . and then today . . . but I've found that I cannot bear the thought of 410ml of Lucozade first thing, so I've given up the idea for a while!

I've also found it quite difficult to increase my carbs to about 150g daily, which is what you're supposed to do, if you're low-carbing, before a GGT so you don't get false results. I just don't seem to want to eat them. Yesterday I only managed 78g of carb in total, despite having a sandwich and a meal with a few potatoes, and was

6.1 at 07:00 today. So I guess that tells me I still need to low-carb, at least until I've got the weight off! 56lbs gone - at least another 56lbs to go :roll:

Viv 8)

Grazer

viviennem said:
6.1 at 07:00 today. So I guess that tells me I still need to low-carb,

What's wrong with that? I'm quite pleased when I get a 6.1! It's all right for you show-offs! :wink:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.

Sorry, Malc! You should be showing off too, with the difference between the 2 HbA1cs in your signature.

I don't mean to show off - I have to really work to get the few 4s I've had, particularly with not being able to exercise much, so a 6 is a bit disappointing! particularly on less than 80g carb. But don't forget I was diagnosed really early, so I was nowhere near the high levels some people have had to start with. I'm really in awe of those people who can come down from double figures - that really is success.

Viv 8)

joanne bloggs

Hi everybody!

My fasting BG was 7.5 - I need to work at getting that down before my next HBA1c.

G-gina

Hi I'm new to type 2; my levels were 18.5 when tested 4weeks ago and have to wait till November for the next Diabetes class to begin so am relying on this website to find diet and information about most things concerning this thing that seems to be raging through me with all these different symtoms. I was given Meterformin started on two a day, when that gave me headaches was told to take three a day. That never worked so i took myself back down to two a day. It's a bit better. Don't know what to eat, hardly recognise a hypo!?? Sweat all night (just turned 50 so probably menopausal!)

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Well, here's some hope for all of you who, like me, struggle to get a good fasting reading.

I've just gone through my diary and I've taken a total of 73 fasting readings between my last HbA1c and this one. This is probably about 90%+ (haven't calculated it) of all available days and is weighted, in that I tended not to test when I knew I was in poor control (binges, holidays, etc).

Results were as follows:
Readings under 6.0 - 2
Readings under 6.5 - 11
Readings under 7.0 - 22
Readings at 7.0 or above - 38

Virtually all of the 7.0 and above were below 8.0, mostly between 7.0 and 7.5

Not that wonderful you may think but not representitative of my 2 hour readings, which were much better.

In that period, my HbA1c dropped from 6.3 to 6.1 , which I consider an excellent result.

My conclusion is that the morning fasting test isn't much use in my case and I'm considering dropping it altogether from my regime.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

G-gina said:
Hi I'm new to type 2; my levels were 18.5 when tested 4weeks ago and have to wait till November for the next Diabetes class to begin so am relying on this website to find diet and information about most things concerning this thing that seems to be raging through me with all these different symtoms. I was given Meterformin started on two a day, when that gave me headaches was told to take three a day. That never worked so i took myself back down to two a day. It's a bit better. Don't know what to eat, hardly recognise a hypo!?? Sweat all night (just turned 50 so probably menopausal!)

Hi G-gina,
I used to get headaches when I first started with the Metformin but found they went away if I drank more water as they tend to dehydrate you.
Hope you get to grips with it all soon, this site is amazing as there is a wealth of help here if you have a good look around.
We are all here to help.
Angie

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.

5.6 fasting

5.7 two hours post-breakfast + exercise

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

9.3 fasting
8.5 two hours post breakfast

Can't seem to get this one much lower. The rest of the readings during the day are gradually getting lower now I'm following a lower carb regime. I'm still overweight although consistently losing now so I guess the dawn phenomenon will continue to strike.............??

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 a year or so ago and to be truthfull have done nothing about it as my first three months of testing was steady at 5.5-7.5 throughout the day and I chose not to medicate.............so I stopped testing regularly and only 'dipped' evry month just to see if everything was normal.
Well, it was, up until a couple of months ago when I got some morning reads of 9-10, so this month I started testing every morning , 2hr post lunch and 2hr post dinner and found that 9 is the lowest I get to. It can get as high as 17-18 after lunch.
I have been eating an unmodified diet, high in carbs, as that is what my practice doctor recommended.
I want to try the low carb route. Can anyone reccomend a good guidebook to aid carb counting so I can find a balance which suits me?
My anual review is in a couple of weeks so I can ask about the raised readings and let them know I am trying a low carb diet

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There's many of us here who have lowered our carbs, you can look at Viv's low-carb diet on the low carb diet forum under the board index. Someone will point you to the general lo-carb advice given to new members. I would recommend the english website of the swedish doctor Dietdoctor.com. Look under "LCHF for beginners" for some good recommendations. Note the advice to diabetics:

Note for diabetics
Avoiding the carbohydrates that raise your blood sugar decreases your need for medication to lower it. Taking the same dose of insulin as before might result in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). You will need to test your blood sugar frequently in the beginning and adapt (lower) your medication. This should ideally be done with the assistance of a knowledgeable physician. If you are healthy or a diabetic treated by diet alone or just with Metformin there is no risk of hypoglycemia.

Welcome to the forum!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Etty said:
There's many of us here who have lowered our carbs, you can look at Viv's low-carb diet on the low carb diet forum under the board index. Someone will point you to the general lo-carb advice given to new members.

Hi whatdoesthisbuttondo and welcome to the forum :) Here is the advice which Etty mentioned which is written for new members. I hope it is helpful. BTW great username!

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

didie

Dislikes

5.7 fasting

eta: 2 hours + usual exercise 5.6

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

daisy1 said:
Etty said:
There's many of us here who have lowered our carbs, you can look at Viv's low-carb diet on the low carb diet forum under the board index. Someone will point you to the general lo-carb advice given to new members.

Hi whatdoesthisbuttondo and welcome to the forum :) Here is the advice which Etty mentioned which is written for new members. I hope it is helpful. BTW great username!

Thanks for the welcome, and information!
I like the swedish doctors site. Its easy to understand, which doesnt make the transition to 'counting the cost of all you eat' such a daunting prospect!

As for my username, Im active on quite a few photography forums and when I first got a decent camera thats all I wanted to know....what does this button do??!
I've spent some time in Switzerland too!.....I used to work for a company based in Butzberg

didie

Dislikes

4.8 fasting

5.4 two hours + exercise

omer dalors

I think I was 10.2 if I remember rightly. Not too happy with that but I can't get it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.