Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I went in the wrong direction again, drawing a 7.0 after a previous day of performing high impact exercise and scrupulously observing low carbohydrate dietary restrictions. I ponder a break from testing until my next A1C blood draw in September to spare myself the aggravation of this demoralizing numbers game that this diabetes diagnosis has bestowed upon me. My world class neuroses have already tethered the blood glucose numbers spectrum to my poorly calibrated anxiety meter near the very core of my worn psyche, fueling the onset of a real sense of depression.

I do understand this is not a practical emotional approach to working successfully within this very scientific based diabetes management system, but my lifelong struggle thus far to rationally contextualize anything involving any form of physical danger is really a serious impedance that is going to take a lot of practice, strength and wisdom to master. A hyper vigilant childhood set in an apartment in which tension pitched heartfelt warnings of "it could kill you" were always attached to such mundane acts as eating food a day before the sell by date, using safety scissors or forgetting to wear one's hat on the first day of fall is probably enough fodder to furnish an analyst's getaway resort house in Hawaii, but for now it is one bulky component in my luggage that just got much heavier last month with the addition of my blood glucose testing kit.

Reactions: 14 people

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
This morning I went in the wrong direction again, drawing a 7.0 after a previous day of performing high impact exercise and scrupulously observing low carbohydrate dietary restrictions. I ponder a break from testing until my next A1C blood draw in September to spare myself the aggravation of this demoralizing numbers game that this diabetes diagnosis has bestowed upon me. My world class neuroses have already tethered the blood glucose numbers spectrum to my poorly calibrated anxiety meter near the very core of my worn psyche, fueling the onset of a real sense of depression.

I do understand this is not a practical emotional approach to working successfully within this very scientific based diabetes management system, but my lifelong struggle thus far to rationally contextualize anything involving any form of physical danger is really a serious impedance that is going to take a lot of practice, strength and wisdom to master. A hyper vigilant childhood set in an apartment in which tension pitched heartfelt warnings of "it could kill you" were always attached to such mundane acts as eating food a day before the sell by date, using safety scissors or forgetting to wear one's hat on the first day of fall is probably enough fodder to furnish an analyst's getaway resort house in Hawaii, but for now it is one bulky component in my luggage that just got much heavier last month with the addition of my blood glucose testing kit.

Love the eloquence of your posts!

Whilst you feel the blood glucose testing kit is additional weight at the moment - stick with it! Self Blood Glucose Monitoring is the cornerstone of Blood Glucose management. It seems daunting at first but, soon becomes routine.

It helped me to focus on pre and post prandial readings in the early days - just after diagnosis. Don't get too hung up on the figures ... for one the meters can be up to 20% inaccurate! It's the rise your meal gave you and keeping that to 2 mmol / L or less. Fasting Blood Glucose is generally the slowest / last figure to alter.

You're doing great ... trust me, you are!

Reactions: 16 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Whilst you feel the blood glucose testing kit is additional weight at the moment - stick with it! Self Blood Glucose Monitoring is the cornerstone of Blood Glucose management. It seems daunting at first but, soon becomes routine.

It helped me to focus on pre and post prandial readings in the early days - just after diagnosis. Don't get too hung up on the figures ... for one the meters can be up to 20% inaccurate! It's the rise your meal gave you and keeping that to 2 mmol / L or less. Fasting Blood Glucose is generally the slowest / last figure to alter.

@Type2Guy
Would go with what @nomistheman says, the numbers will come with time, it's the routine you need to put in place to help you medium term.

Reactions: 13 people

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you for saying such kind and knowledgeable words of support. It is very helpful. At this point, I am financially prepared to outsource my blood glucose testing to a diabetic in a developing nation, but my doctor probably wouldn't advise the use of a proxy as a very accurate form of management.

Reactions: 9 people

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for saying such kind and knowledgeable words of support. It is very helpful. At this point, I am financially prepared to outsource my blood glucose testing to a diabetic in a developing nation, but my doctor probably wouldn't advise the use of a proxy as a very accurate form of management.

You're very welcome! I was once 'newly diagnosed' so like to give back to members of this forum where I can - I try to avoid thinking where my Diabetes would be if I hadn't stumbled across this forum and the website its attached to!

Really do enjoy reading your posts with your writting style!

Your doctor will most likely take their own tests. It's rare to find one that'll take the word or even well evidenced proof of anyone else's results! :eek:

Reactions: 11 people

orchid5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 before bed but had eaten a little under two hrs previously and had 5 apricots, nom, nom,nom! A nice 6 this morning.

Reactions: 23 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Happy Saturday everyone. An ok 5.4 fasting this morning. That's not too bad as I went to the cinema last night & just had to have a hot dog, with everything on. Oooohhhhh, it was lovely! I had a good time, apart from having to wear those naff 3-D glasses, which incidentally, make my eyes do very strange things. And, that's apart from the weird nausea caused by those dodgy ocular creations. Witchcraft & sorcery they are. So, I admit to feeling rather odd today. I have a solution though........read on..........
image.jpg

Have a lovely day one & all. Good health. X

Reactions: 25 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 am
going somewhere without internet, back later, play nicely chums,
Hj

Reactions: 28 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Morning all 5.8 Yesss and no head ache ...have some of that :D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: 30 people
Status
Not open for further replies.