Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a 5.9 this wet n windy morning and the scales show 12st 7 which was my pre-holiday target. Off to Seville on Wednesday

Excellent work on hitting your pre-holiday target, hope you have an awesome time in Seville :joyful:

Reactions: 17 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning all

5.3 for me this morning, reasonably happy with that.

Reactions: 28 people

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am at a 6.9 this morning for my fasting blood glucose result, which I'll accept with some gratitude given yesterday's surprisingly restrained but nonetheless active participation in a carbohydrate festival, the sight of which would have permanently injured a dietitian's brain. I am fasting for the day, which I believe is safe enough as until my physician can determine the next stage of diabetes management upon my next A1C test in September, I am attempting for Type 2 control exclusively through diet and exercise. So I don't think I am at any risk for a hypoglycemic episode by taking a small break from my typical meal routine.

I harbor a small hope this fast may provide some benefit, but fear it to be short term. There is a high probability that when I break it this evening, urgently resolving my prolonged hunger will force me to appear like a seasoned contender for a top prize in a competitive eating contest as I peruse the contents of my refrigerator with predatory zeal.

Reactions: 27 people

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
My fasting bg was 16. :-( need to try and get it on track again. Any suggestions for a quick turnaround?

Reactions: 13 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Thank you very much indeed, Sir:)
I had no clue about the absolute difference between pathological ketoacidosis, and nutritional ketoacidosis...
I just finished reading the article linked to @Pasha's article, and my jaw is still hanging :-o
I can't believe...
I have to go back and read it again, checking the links...
Wishing you a great day, too :-D

I don't know if you're aware of the personal message facility on the forum @MosheBenYehuda. But, I sent you a message with a link to Nutritional Ketosis yesterday. It can all be a tad confusing. Glad Pasha has sent you a link too. This Diabetes lark is a sharp learning curve. Best wishes.

Reactions: 11 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My fasting bg was 16. :-( need to try and get it on track again. Any suggestions for a quick turnaround?

If you need to get "back on track" then you know already what the track involves. The hard part in the beginning is always developing new habits. This process takes about three weeks and then things get easier. A FBG of 16 mmoles/l should provide more than enough motivation. Are you taking medications and/or thinking of doing the LCHF way of eating. Maybe you should first see your doctor. Whatever path you take you will get plenty of help on this forum. But to succeed you must tough out the first stages of cementing new eating habits into your make up. Good luck.

Reactions: 17 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
5.3 today, had the tiniest ever slice of red velvet cake for Mr Al's birthday yesterday. It was lovely but was it worth 19g of carbs? Nope!

Hi @Alzebra. You're doing so well with your lchf lifestyle. I mean, losing 44lbs is a huge achievement. And, your recent A1c is testament to your hard work. You've got your blood glucose levels under control. So, don't be hard on yourself when you share in special occasions with loved ones & have a slice of Birthday cake. Personally speaking, I think our mental health is equally as important as our physical health when managing our Diabetes. Many of us, even those who follow lchf, join in with family & friends on Birthdays, Anniversaries etc, get-togethers etc. Not a massive sugar fest, but a small slice of birthday cake...or a hotdog at a BBQ is soooo therapeutic and reminds us that we're not robots. Of course, it's purely subjective & you must do what's right for you. So, don't guilt trip yourself because you had your extra 19g of carbs. I'm sure it was good for the soul & made Mr Al feel great that you shared his day completely. Best wishes & good health to you hun. X

Reactions: 15 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been away for a few days - Friday 6.3 and then after breakfast 10.7 highest for a long time. Well I had 2 grapefruit segments and 3 orange segments as starter before cooked breakfast so those I think were the problem.(worth trying) as Saturday 5.9 fasting and only a 2 higher after similar breakfast without the fruit. Sunday 5.2. fasting. This is the first stay in a hotel since diagnosis so it's a learning process. Evening meals seemed to work quite well, just careful choosing. Probably I was also stressed as I wasn't sure how I would cope.

Reactions: 23 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Alzebra. ....., don't guilt trip yourself because you had your extra 19g of carbs. I'm sure it was good for the soul & made Mr Al feel great that you shared his day completely. Best wishes & good health to you hun. X

Thanks for that @Alisonjane10, I do think it's important to partake in family occasions etc, and I want my daughters to see that every food is fine in moderation. My problem was that I wasn't willing to up my carbs so actually had to cut back on salad and veg to make allowance for the slice of cake - hence the feeling it wasn't worth it. We're away on our holibobs next Friday and I know my daily carbs will increase whilst we're away so I'm being strict with myself for now!

Reactions: 9 people

Merrylizard1314

If you need to get "back on track" then you know already what the track involves. The hard part in the beginning is always developing new habits. This process takes about three weeks and then things get easier. A FBG of 16 mmoles/l should provide more than enough motivation. Are you taking medications and/or thinking of doing the LCHF way of eating. Maybe you should first see your doctor. Whatever path you take you will get plenty of help on this forum. But to succeed you must tough out the first stages of cementing new eating habits into your make up. Good luck.

Perfect advice!
Lost in admiration......

Reactions: 10 people
Status
Not open for further replies.