Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning 8.18 Bm is 6.7. I shall try and see if I can lower it through the day. For a lower reading before bed.

Hi Deb, I am a bit new at this. I shall be going for a walk to help bring my BG down. I didn't really eat or drank that much at work yesterday or through the day. Even though I was walking around none stop. May have been a contributory reason why mine was up.

Heather.

Reactions: 4 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Too right bloody hell!!

I ran out of my code free strips so got my accucheck mobile prescription. Gap of 48 hrs no testing but I have kept below 50g carbs daily. Yesterday I ate about 7:30pm and nothing else afterwards, as usual. I usually get up around 5:45 on weekdays but today I woke at 7.25am. I couldn't find my accucheck to put the new cassette in. I spent an hour looking for it and I also ate some nuts, because I felt I needed something. It had been 12 hours since my last meal.

Ok, so now the punch line. My reading was 6 and then 6.4 on checking, so average 6.2!!!

This is high for me.

So ... Later getting up, nuts, panic and frustration at the loss of my meter, 71% fat yesterday (higher than usual). Perhaps they all came in to play.

I have a long day ahead of me. It's my school's summer fair and I'll be on the nerf gun range from 11am - 4pm. Start setting up around 9:30 then there will be the clear up. The food will be the problem. I think I'll make a salad and put it in a fridge. Someone will take over while I eat, hopefully.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 on going to bed last night (higher than current normal and second night in a row. No explanation)
5.7 on rising this morning.

My fasting has stabilised in the high 5's. Even if my bedtime level is high it is dropping back down overnight to high 5's, including one night last week when I was taken ill and fainted then went to bed on 8 it returned to normal by morning, so I am pleased.

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 for me. Perhaps should have taken it earlier when I woke up at 7 but fell into a doze so didn't till after 9, also lot of protein at supper time last night so may have just been that or the stress of 4 hrs in a and e.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
4.9 for me, though last evening hovered round 6 for 3 hours after my evening meal of chicken and roasted veg and broccoli. Lots of water yesterday.

Reactions: 3 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
today I tested on waking and later without food. Before bed my bg was 5.3

9.30 5.1
10.20 5.4
10.40 5.0

So maybe the higher bg the other day was due to the tea.

Reactions: 6 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thurs = 4.6
Fri = 4.6
sat = 4.5 lowest ever oh and now under 13 stone

Reactions: 16 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.2 for me today.

Interesting your figures are reducing @Andrew Colvin. I'm assuming you have maintained your increased carbs?

Reactions: 2 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Well done @Andrew Colvin! Under 13 stones now! Your readings are great, so this is clearly working well for you.

I have my next HbA1c next week so results the week later - will let you know. I have now lost 69 lbs, which is 28% of my body weight, and need now to determine whether I have managed to reverse my diabetes. I don't completely understand how I can determine whether I have or not. I will be quite upset if I have not managed to achieve this, but will get on with managing my diabetes and maintaining my lower weight and lower readings.

So, non-diabetic readings are between 4-5.9. One hour after food - under 7.8, two hours after food, under 6.1. If I am not consistently achieving, this does it mean that I have not reversed my diabetes? Should I give up trying to reverse and focus on being healthy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Who knows paulis?!!! I'd just try your best to be as healthy as possible and hope your readings will follow suit.

It's hard not to feel like a failure when we work so hard to improve results but see little change. Xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's in the lap of the gods now Paulins, but you have worked hard so deserve a fantastic result. Good luck.

I had my HbA1c results yesterday. It was 46 (6.4%), equivalent to an average of 7.5mmol/l. I was pleased with that as I started in January on 53 and didn't really do low carb properly until I got my meter in mid April. My cholesterol was up though, not surprising as I took myself off my statins 4 weeks ago. I'm not worried, the cholesterol levels are better than they were before statins, and my trigs are only 0.7. :)

Reactions: 4 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's in the lap of the gods now Paulins, but you have worked hard so deserve a fantastic result. Good luck.

I had my HbA1c results yesterday. It was 46 (6.4%), equivalent to an average of 7.5mmol/l. I was pleased with that as I started in January on 53 and didn't really do low carb properly until I got my meter in mid April. My cholesterol was up though, not surprising as I took myself off my statins 4 weeks ago. I'm not worried, the cholesterol levels are better than they were before statins, and my trigs are only 0.7. :)

Brilliant results @Bluetit1802 - I hope my trigs are as low as yours! I came off the statins after two months as they made my hips ache so much at night it woke me up - so we will see. Impressed with your BMI reduction too - and 6.4 according to my GP means diabetes well under control.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done @Andrew Colvin! Under 13 stones now! Your readings are great, so this is clearly working well for you.

I have my next HbA1c next week so results the week later - will let you know. I have now lost 69 lbs, which is 28% of my body weight, and need now to determine whether I have managed to reverse my diabetes. I don't completely understand how I can determine whether I have or not. I will be quite upset if I have not managed to achieve this, but will get on with managing my diabetes and maintaining my lower weight and lower readings.

So, non-diabetic readings are between 4-5.9. One hour after food - under 7.8, two hours after food, under 6.1. If I am not consistently achieving, this does it mean that I have not reversed my diabetes? Should I give up trying to reverse and focus on being healthy?

The 7.8 is not true as it depends on what even normal peeps eat and that is the average of the norms so some are above and others go over for example my wife goes above it after fish and chips. The 5.9 I can see as a maximum if I am working hard and converting protein - another really difficult case to account for.

Good luck with the HbA1c - I have only had the 3 month one as the nurse didnt want to see me for a year after I went 94 ---> 40 in 3 months. I would love to know what mine is. Have been estimating low 30s but who knows

Reactions: 3 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The 7.8 is not true as it depends on what even normal peeps eat and that is the average of the norms so some are above and others go over for example my wife goes above it after fish and chips. The 5.9 I can see as a maximum if I am working hard and converting protein - another really difficult case to account for.

Good luck with the HbA1c - I have only had the 3 month one as the nurse didnt want to see me for a year after I went 94 ---> 40 in 3 months. I would love to know what mine is. Have been estimating low 30s but who knows

I suppose that the HbA1c will determine whether I've managed to reverse - so I have everything crossed! Will let you know.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You could always ask for another test? They may agree? Alternatively, there are lots of options to have one privately, for under £100. There are loads doing it, but this lot - www_privatebloodtests_co_uk - use Spire Hospitals as their "feet on the street". You can also have a comprehensive panel, with lipids, and all that stuff, including Vit D and thyroid function for a little over £100.

If my next test remains at the levels tested in February, I will be moved onto 12 monthly tests. My May test was done over here, so not on my UK records yet. If I can't negotiate checks more frequently than 12 monthly, I think I'll be self-funding the interim one(s).

In your shoes, I'd want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.