Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Rod, I think it's time you wrote another open letter to that liver of yours!

Open letter? I'd be starting a disciplinary process. I mean, there's a conduct warning in there somewhere surely?

Well it's being read the riot act today. An hour after breakfast (egg, two small rashers of streaky bacon, coffee) it was 6.7. I did 10 minutes on the rowing machine and went out for a 40 minute brisk walk. Before lunch (selection of salami, houmous, mackerel pate, guacamole, olives, tomato, only a spoonful of each) it was 6.3, an hour later 7.5! Did another 10 minutes on the rower, 5.5.

I'm still torn between exercising an hour after eating to burn off the glucose (which seems to work) and exercising before eating, then hoping the food will convince the liver it doesn't need to step in and assist.

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that if I exercised after eating( mainly walking) I'd get junto the mid to high 4s before my next meal but that post prandial readings were av 6.5. I then started longer sessions on exercise bike and at first found my post- prandial/ore prandial readings were higher the closer I tested to the session but my rises were much lower . Now exercise doesn't seem to lift them too much and I've sort of evened out in the low 5s before food and high fives after. I seem to function better in this range as if I was in 4s the spike might be over 2 but now I am often the same or lower after food. It's finding what exercise and when works best for you.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you be coming down with something? If not, your liver is playing silly buggers with you and needs teaching a lesson.

I have always had my walks nearer the next meal than the previous meal, mainly to fit in with the dog and hubby. The nearer the next meal it is, the higher my pre-meal reading (and I'm only talking a 20 minute walk here, not intense exercise).

I notice you are testing at 1 hour. I have stopped testing most meals at 1 hour now (just an odd one here and there). I was becoming demoralised with the 1 hour readings even though the 2 hour reading averages have begun to come down very nicely recently. Using the excuse that everyone spikes at an hour, but non-diabetics come down by 2 hours whereas diabetics are often still rising, I am happy just to test at 2 hours and 2.5hrs and aim for a low 6. Not quite averaging low 6's yet, but out of the 7's now.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Could you be coming down with something? If not, your liver is playing silly buggers with you and needs teaching a lesson.

That did cross my mind, although I feel fine. Could also be work/stress related.

I notice you are testing at 1 hour.

Not routinely, just to get a pattern today.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok... So it's 5 weeks since I last tested and I've started again. 5.3 before evening meal at 8pm.

9:30 I was 6.9 ( a silly time gap but I was busy).

12.15am 5.5

I'm going on holiday today so last night was the ritual iron and pack last minute and don't get much sleep. Bed at 1.30am and after fitful sleep woke at 5:30.

Tested at 6:15 and I was :

I've decided the first was rogue (or rodent as my aged aunt said the other day as she was explaining about a mole on her arm that was changing ha ha).

I have a long day travelling ahead of me and also tomorrow. Don't know how that will affect readings because eating may be problematic.

Bye for now folks! Stay well.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.6 for me this morning. Off to see the GP to discuss a few things I have on my mind

Reactions: 5 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.5........had gone to bed on a 5 ! Never went beyond a 6.3 yesterday either

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well tested mine last eve and was 10, so neve rhad any supper got up this am expecting it to be low and its 10.1 how the heck you work that out??

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.3 for me this morning, so towards the upper end of my personal range. Looking back at myfitnesspal, where I still keep a strict diary of every morsel I eat, and any alcohol, I didn't eat enough yesterday. Yes, @kimbo1962, do as I say, not as I do. :facepalm: So, today, I will be making up for lost ground.

I'm also finally catching up with the to-do list I came back to, and need to think a bit further forward than the end of the the list. I didn't go to IKEA in the end yesterday as when I checked online for what I wanted, one thing wasn't in stock at my nearest store, but is expected in the next few days, so I deferred. Even I can only cope with IKEA once in a while! So, in place, I went clothes shopping. I was mainly replenishing my tropical wardrobe, whilst there is still summer clothing in the shops here. So, that's almost done. My M&S online order arrived, but I appear to have dropped a brick there, choosing a bikini top which really is never going to be an attractive option for me. I didn't even have to try it on to know it was going to be awful. so, that'll have to go back. Hey ho. Back to my usual haunts for swimwear then!

Anyway, I must get a move on. I want to spend some time in the garden today, wrangling some borders into shape, before the remnants of Bertha come calling on Sunday. We need the rain, so her calling card will be welcome, here at least.

Have a great day everyone. :happy:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
well tested mine last eve and was 10, so neve rhad any supper got up this am expecting it to be low and its 10.1 how the heck you work that out??

Your liver kicks out glucose first thing to 'prepare you for the day' (!). Search for 'Dawn Phenomenon'.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have a good holiday Peacetrain.

6.1 this morning, so kind of back to 'normal' for me at the moment. It was very hot here again yesterday. Well done to everyone gettiing 5s and 4s, ever so slightly envious! (no not really, we're all on our separate paths).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy your trip @peacetrain Safe journey.

5.7 going to bed
5.7 getting up
I just want to be low 5's. I only ever see 4's pre-evening meal

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
10 going to bed
10.1 getting up so wondering what going off....

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
been carfull what i eat today also I had 1 weetabix for brecky and tomato sandwich for lunch with soya bread it was 7.4 before lunch i will see what it is after two hours ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
been carfull what i eat today also I had 1 weetabix for brecky and tomato sandwich for lunch with soya bread it was 7.4 before lunch i will see what it is after two hours ...

Patsy, are you following a low carb diet? If you are, then my suggestion would be to cut out the Weetabix completely. Let us know how you go on with your sandwich. (Tomato sandwiches were always my favourite.)

Status
Not open for further replies.