1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type one diabetes

Discussion in 'Community Submitted Guides & Links' started by Jed.s, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Jed.s

Jed.s Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey, I am a type one diabetic in Australia I’m 20 years old and I’ve had it ever since I was 15 this is the first time I’ve thought about becoming apart of the community I have decided to for the support and to know I’m not alone or we are not alone I fight this disease everyday like everyone of you strong people out there I completely understand what you’re going through

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Knikki

Knikki Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello @Jed.s Welcome to the forum, I've been T1 for a couple more years than you but we still all learn new things :) Have a mooch around, there are plenty of friendly types round these parts and lots of useful info on the main Home page.

Well have learnt something new looking at your picture on the Say something thread, never knew you could get Curly Wurlys in Australia :)

Take care.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi and welcome aboard, lots of helpful members on here with a couple or a lot of diabetes years under their belts.
    Nice to meet you @Jed.s

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Jed.s - you are not alone!

• Like Like x 1
  5. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello friend, welcome to the squad.
    You are never alone and we sail this boat together :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jed.s from a fellow Australian. You've been on insulin a lot longer than I have but there are loads of experienced members here that are super cool at answering questions and solving problems. I hope you like cricket. I'm feeling outnumbered here with the Ashes test matches on at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  8. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Jed.s . Welcome to the forum.
    There are a few Aussies lurking around the forum, doing a great job of providing night cover for us pommies.:)
    Nice to have a new T1 recruit to the ranks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome @Jed.s :)

Tell us more about your diabetes management and how are you finding it living with type 1 ?

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Jed.s

Jed.s Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s so relentless diabetes is never easy I’m constantly in pain because of my blood sugars sometimes I don’t even have to have high bloods to feel like I have ketones and I’m doing my best to keep my bloods on the right number I despise people who can just eat without worrying about carbs I look at them eating a snickers bar without a card in the works but me if I wanted a treat I have to inject insulin with anything that has carbs in it but I guess that’s just what diabetes is

• Hug Hug x 2
  11. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Jed.s What type of pain are you getting and have you by seen by your doctor ?

Agree it’s relentless, for me the pain is where it interferes with a ‘normal’ life, so out and about and bam a hypo appears from no where, then the days when you feel like your on a roller coaster and levels are swinging high and low. What I do however is to keep challenging myself, so to exercise more, run a race, go biking, anything that takes my mind off it as that’s where I get respite from the sheer relentlessness of it.

I recommend you get a copy of ‘think like a pancreas’ written by a type 1, it’s a really useful read :)

12. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not bothered by Snickers bars myself but do still dream of a baguette and Camembert as a picnic foodstuff. Working out the bolus on that would be too complicated.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook