JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have no axe to grind with this topic if a person wishes to follow a vegan diet for what ever reason that is entirely their choice.
as long as they let me follow my choice without criticizing me for my choice that's OK.

But this in no way means my right to voice an opinion is negated.

And my opinion is that a healthy balanced diet is one that provides within it all the essential nutrition and nutrients vital to life and health the Vegan diet I believe does not meet that requirement therefore I shall continue with the diet I follow which I believe does it is just that simple. Well for me any way.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What claims in particular get it wrong in your mind? I am a T2D on diet and orals, and I am low carbing. I am also an omnivore, and have used LCHF based diet to get my T2D into clinical remission. But although my LCHF includes animal products, I also can eat bread and many veg so am able to have a balanced omnivore diet within LCHF.

I do not in my case need to use a keto diet, and I suspect it is the more rigorous demands of keto that may be driving some of the claims you don't like. But that is purely due to the needs that keto imposes, and it is our choice if we wish to use LCHF as a keto diet or as a more relaxed way of controlling bgl. Maybe those using keto should make that clear when they post - would that help? I think most keto dieters do in fact have a signature that makes that clear.
The operative word is : inaccurate.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think it helps the case for LCHF solutions to make claims that are not true.
That early man was a meat eater for millennia is that what you are claiming is not true... again?
Ever excavated a stone age site to see the stone tools for butchering meat?
Or the arrowheads that were obviously for harvesting the wild carrot population?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That early man was a meat eater for millennia is that what you are claiming is not true... again?
Or the arrowheads that were obviously for harvesting the wild carrot population?
Or the quorns used for milling?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...plus the grains back in ancient days were nothing like the grains we are fed today.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stone Age sites obviously included stone tools for meat eating. But Stone Age sites also include tools for harvesting grain. Stone Age man was an omnivore.

To answer your question, I have seen many of the flint arrow heads, by the way, on location in the remote parts of Libya. I am quite conversant with flint and flint as a working tool.

But we digress and have tried not to. But do try to avoid misleading people on how far back grain cultivation goes.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is said that a positive genetic adaptation takes 15,000 to 20,000 years to become an actual adaptation.
Harvesting of grass seed prior to consumption said to be 10,000 to possibly 12,000 years.
Milk consumption said to be 7,000 years.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But we digress and have tried not to
We’re trying to find out what claims you consider untrue/inaccurate in the original topic. If you simply stated which they are people wouldn’t speculate and derail.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Querns.. are a far more recent invention.. about 10,000 years old probably..
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...es-a-question-do-humans-need-grains-75538055/

Cavemen (and Cavewomen) may have started it
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...es-a-question-do-humans-need-grains-75538055/

But meat eating is probably well before that
https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2018/03/30/why-humans-started-eating-meat-critical-diet/

I say fruit and berries are the leaders in this race.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the thread is toxic. Someone throws in the word scientific and we are all supposed to believe the 'science'. Most of us on this thread have evidence from our own bodies that the claims in the OP are false.

I for one would welcome anyone who could prove to me that a vegan lifestyle can reverse diabetes. I have tried briefly twice and got ill both times.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes the thread is toxic. Someone throws in the word scientific and we are all supposed to believe the 'science'. Most of us on this thread have evidence from our own bodies that the claims in the OP are false.

I for one would welcome anyone who could prove to me that a vegan lifestyle can reverse diabetes. I have tried briefly twice and got ill both times.
The thread is toxic because newbies will read it and possibly be attracted to it, and will not have the experience many of us here have had. I found the OP offensive, and believe that it is the OP that deserves to be deleted, but because it is apparently vegan, we are not allowed to say such things in case of upsetting someone. It is almost as if it is being protected by the race relations act, instead of by personal choice.

We must also bear in mind that many T2D will not be monitoring their blood sugars, so would be unaware of any danger this way of life may present for them. We need to counterbalance this propaganda with proper discussion. And I do say propaganda, since in the 4 years I have been posting here, not one success story has been posted or even claimed in a verifiable way that gives any confidence that there is true substance behind those claims.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the OP has just posted on here to cause trouble. They only joined today, so can’t have been reading much and hasn’t logged on since the original post.

If people are unable to be civil to each other, then they will have more posts deleted, and their accounts may receive sanctions in the form of thread bans and warnings.

Dear Mods, I love you all (even those without a funny name) but when it is obvious that a somebody has joined the forum and posted something which appears to be a deliberate attempt to disrupt the forum and cause problems, that the thread be at least suspended for a while, or possibly closed as early as possible to avoid the disruption and save usually sensible posters from getting into pointless arguments.

I know it will be hard call to make, but suspending a thread early might be a good move, to cool things.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fact that there was a link in the OP that was removed by the mods shows that they recognised it straightaway as at best, spam. At worst it's a misleading and harmful post.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dear Mods, I love you all (even those without a funny name) but when it is obvious that a somebody has joined the forum and posted something which appears to be a deliberate attempt to disrupt the forum and cause problems, that the thread be at least suspended for a while, or possibly closed as early as possible to avoid the disruption and save usually sensible posters from getting into pointless arguments.

I know it will be hard call to make, but suspending a thread early might be a good move, to cool things.
Whilst I don't agree with the OP's view, how can you know what the intent was? If we don't have silly ideas aired and discussed, we will just end up being an echo chamber. The mods have done a good job in allowing the views to be discussed whilst encouraging politeness.

M

Member496333

Raw fillet steak for breakfast this afternoon. Do I need to test my blood glucose two hours later?

Just askin’ :D

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes...let us know the result ;)
Considering that that steak might well have ended life in a backroom abbatoir in Romania or Finland, and then been shipped all the way across the continent with several cross border excursions at the Belgium/ Netherlands border to increase its subsidies and inflate the pay of someone, then shipped to market where it may have sat aound for a while before being sold as a commodity, then maybe I would not be so eager to eat it raw.

I note that no one is eating raw chicken or pork. I know pheasant and other game should be hung for weeks, but even that gets cooked eventually, so I suggest that there is a risk in eating raw meat unless you are certain of its provenance. One of our local abbatoirs was closed down recently for selling substandard meat at farmers market, and it used to have a good name too.

Status
Not open for further replies.