1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type Two Diabetes Cure Science-Based

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by dtb777, Jun 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtb777

dtb777 · Newbie

Hi all,

Nutritionfacts is a great resource for diabetes sufferers. It's a non-profit organisation that offers short videos outlining the science of many health conditions and how they can be treated with diet and lifestyle changes.

Contrary to popular belief, Type 2 Diabetes is not caused by carbohydrate consumption. That's not to say carbohydrates don't trigger the problem once Type 2 Diabetes is developed. Type 2 Diabetes can be cured as it is caused by regular meat consumption. Meat consumption over long periods of time, combined with being overweight, can interfere with the body's ability to regulate glucose (sugar). This then in turn causes an inability to regulate the sugars coming from carbohydrates.

So, if you stop consuming meat, ideally all animal products, what happens is the body will rapidly start to regain its ability to regular blood sugars. I came here because I have health issues of my own, not Diabetes, but I research nutrition and health. I wanted to do it as a good deed in case it helps anybody out. If you stop eating meat, you can gradually start to reintroduce carbohydrate-rich foods. There is plenty of information about this on the internet.

The problem is that many institutions receive funding to produce certain information that may be factually incorrect. Diabetes UK has the conflict of interest of having sponsors that are meat producers, so they feel financially obligated to not tell the truth. Unfortunately the same is true for the pharmaceutical companies (who trained your GP). What we ought to be doing is going with the evidence and the science. Search on YouTube..

Yes, his voice is a little harsh on the ears. But I recommend being patient to get the information so you can learn how to reverse it.

Post edited to remove repeated promotion of a single organisation.

The long term solution is not drugs.

• Funny Funny x 5
    #1 dtb777, Jun 1, 2019 at 3:30 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
  2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I'll stick with my meat based diet.... you can eat whatever you like, but I am NOT reintroducing carb rich foods. Your so called facts are rubbish and amount to nothing more.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. enb54

enb54 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm supporting your beliefs as long as you use a blood glucose meter to verify your food intake. The ONLY way a type 2 diabetic can verify diet is to use a blood glucose monitor to check each meal, otherwise you are just asking people to commit suicide. The real science is blood glucose monitoring and everything else is just straight bull poo poo. I am sorry for being so blunt, but once you examine your blood sugars with a monitor, you will know the truth...

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #3 enb54, Jun 1, 2019 at 4:44 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
  4. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That reminds me to pickup a tin of spam at Waitrose today. Thanks for the tip :hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. enb54

After we went to Hawaii we (well ME at least) learned to love SPAM. Just Google "Hawaii and spam" and you will know why (or how :) )...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #5 enb54, Jun 1, 2019 at 5:11 AM
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh bacon, how I love thee, let me count the ways...

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Look, I would agree that for many people a vegan diet is better than a meat-based one, particularly one with processed meats. I am also quite prepared to believe that vegans have a lower incidence of diabetes than omnivores. (If only because they tend to have lower BMIs).

But, given that vegetarians and vegans do get diabetes (India has a very high incidence of T2 diabetes), I'm not sure how going vegan is supposed to cure T2s who are already vegan?

Certainly from the anecdotal evidence on these boards, the best solution to reversing or putting T2 into remission is to go low carb. Now, you can do that on a vegan or vegetarian diet, but the reason that there are so many carnivores on these forums is that eating meat gives them more options.

Absolutely. Look at all the T2ers on these forums who have achieved remission by going low carb. Unfortunately, as I'm T1, there's nothing I can do to avoid insulin, and I am very grateful to be able to take that particular drug and stay alive.

And we have a winner. If a diet (whether low carb, vegan or carnivore) keeps your blood sugar levels in normal ranges then go for it, it works for you.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

dtb777 We as a race spent thousands upon thousands of years evolving and increasing brain size and then you go and do that with it.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. enb54

I didn't include the rest of the quote because I really believe that most of us here believe that the diet that lowers our blood sugars is the one to follow for us individually, NOT the one that is dictated to us. It does not matter if you are omnivore, carnivore or vegan, use that "darned" blood glucose meter to determine what is good for YOU! I will get off my soap box now (again)...

Post edited for language by moderator

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #9 enb54, Jun 1, 2019 at 7:04 AM
  10. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Many type twos don't have a choice and need drugs, not all are overweight either so can't be to do with weight.

• Agree Agree x 9
  11. enb54

I am hoping that even if you need drugs, you will at least get a blood glucose meter to test yourself for the effects of various foods and drink. Please do not underestimate the really nasty end results of being reluctant to do so...

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. enb54

Let me count some of the ways...
    1) the crispyness
    2) the smell test
    3) the bacon fat on Boston baked beans
    4) the way eggs are fried in bacon fat
    5) the taste on a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich (toasted rye bread)

Oh bacon, how I love thee... :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi Everyone,

I would like to remind people that this thread was posted by someone who seems to genuinely believe that veganism is a cure/preventative for diabetes (I'm assuming they mean T2 dabetes, although that isn't clear).

This isn't a thread for people to taunt vegans with insults or the glorification of meat eating and animal slaughter. Such posts will be deleted.

Please don't derail the thread, or break forum rules on courtesy. If anyone wants to read the forum rules, there is a link in my signature, but the short version is be tolerant of other people's choices, and be polite to eachother.

An even shorter version: Polite discussion good. Rudeness, bad.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. enb54

If I have offended anyone, I sincerely apologize, I am an advocate of using a blood glucose meter to personal advantage, regardless of diet.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I think you will find that most of us agree with you 100% on that. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · BANNED

dtb777, I live in the US and am very familiar with Dr. Michael Greger's work. The low carb/ketogenic diet, which has been used to treat obesity and diabetes for 150+ years, works well for the majority of type 2 diabetics, but not all.

Many on this forum do very well managing their T2DM with the low carb/ketogenic diet, with or without medication, and the same can be said for those here who use the vegan/vegetarian diet.

What's most important is finding the diet that works for each individual. I personally have been on the low carb/ketogenic diet for 4 years, my health has never been better, and I have the lab test results to prove it.

What you have to understand is that Greger is a zealot and he cherry picks data. When he was younger, his much beloved grandmother was deathly ill, was treated with the Pritikin diet, recovered, and went on to live many more years in good health. Greger's grandmother wasn't alone. Others during that period benefited from the diet too. But that doesn't mean that the Pritikin diet worked for everyone. It didn't then, and it doesn't now.

I appreciate your good intentions, but Gregor is just one voice.

I also encourage you to look at the work of Stephen Phinney, MD, Ph.D, also that of Jeff Volek, Ph.D., R.D. and Virta Health. Pediatric endocrinologist and researcher Robert Lustig, M.D., who recently retired from Univeristy of California San Francisco, is another researcher whose work I've followed these last 4 years. He, by the way. does not describe himself as a "low carber" or a "low fatter", he's advocates for eating a real, whole foods diet without the sugar and processed foods. A quick search on YouTube will get you started.

We each have to find our own way to restored health. I wish the same for you. Best of luck to you.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #16 Winnie53, Jun 1, 2019 at 8:56 AM
  17. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hilarious! I was vegetarian and slim when diagnosed on a whole food plant based diet. However since changing back to meat and green veg rather than pulses and root veg I have reduced my BG back to non DX levels in three months and maintained it over a year.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    #17 Flora123, Jun 1, 2019 at 9:13 AM
  18. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

We were also living a high carb/"healthy wholegrain" vegetarian lifestyle when James was diagnosed at very high HbA1c. Moved over to animal produce, very low carb, lots of butter and cream and HbA1c has been normal for around six years and retinopathy has reversed.
    While I can't prove it, I suspect that James' diabetes was caused by a combination of work place stress and my insistance on a veggie diet with lots of whole grains and fruit.
    Sally

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had not eaten meat for 40 years when I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. I was, however, overweight (still am but less so). Weight loss on a LCHF diet rapidly put me into remission.
    We are all different and one size does not fit all. Mocking others for their beliefs solves nothing. I still do not and will not eat meat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sean01

Sean01 · Guest

Couldn't agree more. GI on meat - ZERO. One day, when I'm ready to die - I will eat carb rich foods, until then, living life and winning!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook