Type2 Blog...the race is on

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In support of bacon (which I personally don't eat) I have just read about Pearl Cantrell of Texas, who lived to be 105. She said the secret of her longevity was eating bacon every day.

Dean76

I'll have to quote @Bluetit1802 here, as i'm dutch and i'm using a Contour TS myself... But for the UK, this is good:

"The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)"

Thank you my good man

Dean76

I think you are all great and really opened up my day. After work I went to the Chemist and looked at ‘stabbing machines’....pharmacist showed me many devices which baffled me. I left empty handed but a lovely bloke that was in the chemist then caught up with me in the supermarket....think he followed me. Said he was diabetic and that I should go and see my GP and get a device prescribed to me. So I will do just that.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are all great and really opened up my day. After work I went to the Chemist and looked at ‘stabbing machines’....pharmacist showed me many devices which baffled me. I left empty handed but a lovely bloke that was in the chemist then caught up with me in the supermarket....think he followed me. Said he was diabetic and that I should go and see my GP and get a device prescribed to me. So I will do just that.
GP might not perscribe, as non-insulin users don't usually get a meter. Always worth a shot though, some are exceptions to the rule. Most of the meters are fairly simple. You put in a test strip, prick your finger, (the side, not square in the middle) let the strip suck up the blood, and after a few seconds it'll give you a number. Anything more complicated is a pain in the rear. And test strips can be ordered on ebay or amazon.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Codefree, as detailed above, is only available online and is best bought direct from Home Health. It may be a good one to start with, as the strips are the cheapest and you will soon find out that you need a lot of strips, especially at first.

Reactions: Dean76

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Welcome aboard @Dean76 . I think (and you're a open book so forgive the presumption), you are up for the challenge.
So here's a challenge young man. You're 41, I'm 44 that's close enough. You start at 67 Hba1C, I started at 66. I'll take the slight head start because I'm bit older and hey, I'm a rank amateur with no dietician skills. Like you I was physically active and floored by the diagnosis ("What me??")
So I got to 40 Hba1C in 3 months. Your challenge is to beat it....go on, do it!
And by the way I really really want you to succeed so I'll help. Rethink everything you know about diet. Think about a life without carbs. Ignore people who push superfoods on you. There are multiple versions of LCHF - personally I avoid all the science and stick to some really simple rules that are easy to remember and easy to follow:
1. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full - learn to listen to your body
2. Eat real natural food - you should be able to tell by looking at it that it's real and natural
3. If you don't like it, don't eat it - it should not be unpleasant
4. Avoid grains, potatoes and sugary things. Mornflakes are out - look at the Carb %
5. Avoid low fat versions of real foods - when fat goes, carbs sneak in....fat is your new best friend

Apart from that stay hydrated and enjoy your food. I would also recommend getting a blood glucose meter and testing just before and 2 hours after eating. It gives you information about your body you can't get elsewhere.
So are you up for it - beat the goldfish Dean. You're not going to let a Goldfish called Rhubarb get to remission before you are you?

Dean76

Welcome aboard @Dean76 . I think (and you're a open book so forgive the presumption), you are up for the challenge.
So here's a challenge young man. You're 41, I'm 44 that's close enough. You start at 67 Hba1C, I started at 66. I'll take the slight head start because I'm bit older and hey, I'm a rank amateur with no dietician skills. Like you I was physically active and floored by the diagnosis ("What me??")
And by the way I really really want you to succeed so I'll help. Rethink everything you know about diet. Think about a life without carbs. Ignore people who push superfoods on you. There are multiple versions of LCHF - personally I avoid all the science and stick to some really simple rules that are easy to remember and easy to follow:
2. Eat real natural food - you should be able to tell by looking at it that it's real and natural
4. Avoid grains, potatoes and sugary things. Mornflakes are out - look at the Carb %
5. Avoid low fat versions of real foods - when fat goes, carbs sneak in....fat is your new best friend

Apart from that stay hydrated and enjoy your food. I would also recommend getting a blood glucose meter and testing just before and 2 hours after eating. It gives you information about your body you can't get elsewhere.
So are you up for it - beat the goldfish Dean. You're not going to let a Goldfish called Rhubarb get to remission before you are you?

I will be honest with you. And I am fully implicit with the dynamics of this whole different way of thinking...about food. I used to look at the kcal intake of nutrition as well as the sodium. Carbs was never an issue since I was always burning it off. Now I find myself absorbed to all of the content of what is in a product. Including carbohydrates. Although Mornflakes is a mere 56g(per 100g)/225-325g per daily allowance and to drop weight 50-150g of Carbs per day is easy and the math not a problem. Capable of dropping 5 stone over the course of the next 8-9 months with a significant reduction in my levels in 4 weeks time when the GP helps himself to my quintessentially British blood. The autoimmune cancer that I lived with for almost eight years was a catalyst with my health and that at one point I thought and almost gave up all hope. I fought with it so i’ll be damed if this will bring me down. I am alive and already living with no plan to die. So your wager is obsolete for I have to do this for myself unfortunately. I will leave this book open for my return as a gesture of good sportsmanship and anticipation. As I tell my children do not make a challenge with me...for you dance with the devil, you wait for the music to stop for it is said that if you stop whilst the music is playing the devil will drag you to hell. Mental ethos that has always remained with me and kept me going bit like my mother saying do not be pushed in to it, do it for yourself because you want to.

It took me a while to come here, accept for myself that I am classed as chronically ill and I tell myself where I am at in my life.
I am a realist and always have been. There is no middle of the road with me. But I am deeper than any ocean. It is yes or no, right or wrong. Today has been right, I have already gained masses of knowledge(not a know it all) through human intellect and literature on this site. I have been reading constantly between yourselves and what is written by professionals, the kaleidoscope is massive and reality is key. The threads on this forum have kept me amused much of the day as I read on with intent. Today is and has been my Good Friday; with every aspiration to turn my life around forever but still have an even balance. Even with happiness. I applaud all of your support it is tremendous. Big thumbs up to you too, really opened my eyes. Thank you.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Dean76

Hello Dean and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Dean76

@Dean76

Hello Dean and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Mega, thank you very much. I am really finding you guys very useful.

Reactions: Serena51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to put your head down and charge - using low carb to control blood glucose is - for the lucky ones, a doddle.
I got my numbers down to normal and a few weeks later was walking around the supermarket and got a sudden slithering sensation - having lost a couple of stones I needed to buy new clothes. I am now a L not a XXL without even trying.
Although officially a little old lady I can still go off to the local Arts University three times a year and service their knitting machines, lifting and moving them around had become somewhat problematic, but now that I am unshakably low carb I am finding it far easier to manage them, particularly towards the end of the day.

Reactions: Dean76 and Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am Dean. Recently diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 2. My HbAC1 was 67. I’ve always kept myself fit and active, eat sensibly and when I want or need... so I was a little downhearted when my doctor joyfully blurted out “hey i’m glad to inform you that you are diabetic”. Cheers...lucky I didn’t shove your stethoscope in your ear canal, no need to be so happy about it. I guess that was his cue for £££ with the whole government targets of hypocrisy. Yes not best pleased. Began to waffle on about diabetic nurse, medication, this that and the other. Anyway I let him finish and then explained my background in Sports Science and Nutrition. Served 11 years in the most senior regiment of the British Army and used to getting off my rear and doing something about it. I pledged a bet with him to significantly reduce my carbohydrate, sugar and fat content Over the next 6 weeks to which he could have some more of my precious red venom for analysis. I’m doing well, masses of literature on Doogle and even what I am putting in my gob has become the norm. Yesterday on the way to work all I could smell was lovely bacon wafting around.....and then around lunchtime and before I could even see KFC I could smell the flagrant aromas of that establishment....I could have cried. No I have a mental picture in my head of Roger Murtaugh sticking an onion in Martin Riggs face for stopping smoking. So that analogy sticks when I have a craving for a mega carb fix. Even succumbed to eating an avocado(alien looking berry) this morning with my oats strawberries and blueberries....nasty little green thing. Anyway, hello.

welcome here -- you are doing a lot already it seems ... but I would advise you to half your oats and change it to high-fat greek yogurt instead --- people in here are really helpful so stay here and get lots of web-friends.. those living in the UK also sometimes manage to arrange a meeting .. hope you´.. enjoy staying in here

Dean76

welcome here -- you are doing a lot already it seems ... but I would advise you to half your oats and change it to high-fat greek yogurt instead --- people in here are really helpful so stay here and get lots of web-friends.. those living in the UK also sometimes manage to arrange a meeting .. hope you´.. enjoy staying in here

Fantastic, I aim too.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I think this is one of the nicest first posts to a new member I’ve seen, well done, it’s friendly, informative and should appeal, I’ve yet to meet any ex service guy who doesn’t love a challenge.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,
Had a quick read through all the posts you have received so no need for me to add more of the same.
Like you I was massively shocked when diagnosed, in fact I did the girly thing, I cried! But the tears were replaced with a determination to beat this, I did not want meds and I certainly didn’t want a future without toes, feet or worse, hey I have a massive shoe collection that is constantly added to, need both feet firmly attached for that addiction. So I disregarded the NHS advice, followed the info given here and haven’t looked back.
You will find support and motivation here, you will get tough days, we all do, we are after all human beings, not machines, I just chalk it up to experience and move on.
A meter is the only way you will know how your body copes with certain foods, again what one person can tolerate is different to the next.
Good luck, check in regularly and shout if you need anything :)

Dean76

Dean, you should do a little more reading. You can have

BACON! Fats (MCT, olive oil, coconut oil, suchlike) roasted CHICKEN (just skip the breaded chicken, the barbeque sauce chicken, STEAK (skip yer normal steak sauce, go for the Worcestershire or Braggs aminos, CHEESES!

skip the bread, the crackers, the cereals, the rices, the grains ancient and modern, the oatmeal, and most things that grow underground except mushrooms

The one category I am personally sad about having to severely limit is fruit.

Put three tablespoons of heavy cream in your morning coffee or tea

Oh, and welcome

I never said I didn’t eat bacon. I also steer clear of many sauces. But that Braggs Amino I will look in to more so thank you. Coffee/ tea reduces testosterone levels and you can keep the cream. But I am not saying that I do not drink them either...just occasionally and black.
I drink 0.6floz of H20 per pound of body weight, roughly and as a guide I will consume at least 1 litre of water when I wake and another before bed. No trips to the potty during the night and no incontinence.

My routine starts at 04:00 and genuinely ends(on a good day) at 22:00. Throughout the working day I accomplish 800ml/ H20 every 60 minutes it also satisfies any weak moments with regards to cravings. My food is basic and I am just trying to ADJUST my train of thought to a diabetic way of living than that of the bodybuilding paradise to which I am accustomed too. Do not get me wrong I enjoy all foods. I cant eat shellfish as I rapidly require a bottle of Benylin and I do not eat Toffee Apples, Cottage Cheese or Rolo’s as I consider them foul.

Breakfast: 06:00

As stated(oats)(to which I will reduce)

Lunch(12:00) and dinner(18:00)
Bean and Feta Salad

Serves 10 portions. A great choice for a healthy lunch and or dinner. 1 portion will be served with chicken and the other fish.

Ingredients:

250g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, quartered lengthwise and diced
400g can of butter beans
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, diced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or mint
2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
75g pitted Kalamata olives, halved

For the dressing:

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Juice of ½ lemon
125g reduced-fat feta, crumbled

Made every Sunday and divided between 10 tubs.

Directions:

Put all salad ingredients, except the feta, into a large bowl and toss to combine.
To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the Feta, oil and lemon juice. The lemon aids the feta in to melting and providing a satisfying flavour.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss all ingredients together. Divide in to 10 lid sealing tubs and pop them in the fridge.

Nutritional Analysise Per Serving(not including the chicken or fish intake):

Calories 215
Protein 12g
Saturated Fat 4.2g
Carbohydrate 19.4g
Fibre 8.5g

These 10 tubs supplement my working window during the day at work. Ie Lunch and dinner.

During training seasons and in the past my food intake looked like:

06:00
8 egg white + 2 yolks (scrambled)
Porridge oats 75 grams (dry weight) – mix with water
08:00
Low carb protein shake – mix with water
10:00
Chicken breast - 200 grams (before cooking) Wholegrain rice – 100 grams (dry weight) Broccoli or Asparagus – 100/200 grams
12:00
low carb protein shake – mix with water
14:00
Salmon fillets – 200 grams (before cooking) Whole grain rice – 100 grams (dry weight) Broccoli or Asparagus – 100/200 grams
16:00
Chicken breast – 200 grams (before cooking)

Total Calories – 2568.04
Protein (grams per day) – 249.21 Fat (grams per day) – 59.34
Carbs (grams per day) – 254.9
Fibre – 27.35g
Sodium – 1264.18mg

As for READING MORE I find that comment somewhat patronising and derogatory. Sounds a little critical. I am not here to argue the toss or say that I am right or wrong. I’ve come here to change my way of living as a diabetic.
My hero as a child was Mr-T. I wanted big arms and a massive chest. I have 18” arms and 48” chest, stand 5’8”(173cm) and weigh 18st(114kg). My BMI is a little out of sync at present is 39 which has put me at risk. Apparently my ideal weight is 55.5-75.5kg. If this was true i’d have another problem called anorexia. I have managed before to get my weight down to 83.5kg and I looked too good.

I live across the road to the gym that Arnold Schwarzenegger trained at when he studied at the University of Portsmouth, paving his way to great fortune. I followed such creatures as these because I was fascinated with Human Anatomy and Physical endurance. My good friend and nemesis Dr Ian Hendy WNBF Pro Bodybuilder and the current UKDFBA UK champ and INBF World Champ is the current owner of Lougars Gym, Portsmouth. Taking it over from Arnies nemesis Bobby Woolgar. These guys were my catalyst to always train hard and eat healthy whilst enjoying bad foods. And I will eat them in moderation or should I say I did. I guess the last 3 years of my life have dramatically caught up with me and highlighted an issue as I admit that I have not been looking out for myself as much as i’d like. Diabetes diagnosis has been a massive shock to me, I felt lonely and destitute for a moment. I have embraced the diagnosis and I welcome support of any kind as I begin to adjust as a diabetic. I already have. Please do not think that I just walked out of the bedlam asylum. But I also have much to learn from.

Reactions: JONATHAN MARK