Type2 confirmed yesterday

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to check the ingredients. Does it say how many carbs per 100g?

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not that I can see. There is something called sucralose sweetener though

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm. Anything ending in ose is a sugar.
Can you list the ingredients
I know, I'm pain
:)

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm. Anything ending in ose is a sugar.
Can you list the ingredients
I know, I'm pain
:)

Not a pain,you are trying to help. I've found it online now but don't know how to send link as not very handy on internet.. just type in maximuscle promax lean and it tells you the ingredients. Lots of strange sounding thing's

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have chocolate and strawberry at Tesco. One also has maltodextrin which is a no go area for me. I would save your money and spend it on something better. Like cheese.

Reactions: mymuk

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They have chocolate and strawberry at Tesco. One also has maltodextrin which is a no go area for me. I would save your money and spend it on something better. Like cheese.

Yes I'm getting the drift. Done my shopping and mainly veg fish and meat. The only thing I got wrong was I bought 2 large pots natural yoghurt but didn't realise til home it was reduced fat version. Still a bit shocked how many carbs are in bananas and apples and of course bread. I think I'm going to cut down gradually but aiming for under 50g a day as of day 1 today then go for lower . Thanks again everyone. Next job is get meter and strips and really try hard between now and next Friday appointment with diabetic nurse. Will let you know as I go along.Really glad joined here....

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I'm getting the drift. Done my shopping and mainly veg fish and meat. The only thing I got wrong was I bought 2 large pots natural yoghurt but didn't realise til home it was reduced fat version. Still a bit shocked how many carbs are in bananas and apples and of course bread. I think I'm going to cut down gradually but aiming for under 50g a day as of day 1 today then go for lower . Thanks again everyone. Next job is get meter and strips and really try hard between now and next Friday appointment with diabetic nurse. Will let you know as I go along.Really glad joined here....
In addition to the excellent advice above can I just warn you of a few common hiccups people have, in order to avoid them.
1. Hunger. Don’t go hungry. In these early days eat as much fat and protein as you feel you need to avoid this. Meats, cheese, cream, bacon etc etc. In a week or two, once you’re getting into the swing of it and over the first couple of weeks adjusting you can cut this back to just enough to keep you full. Ideally you want to burn the fat you wear rather what you eat
2. Talking of fats ...This drastic change in eating habits often leads to other habits changing. A big increase in fats for some people can bring on diarrhoea. Just ease back the fats and spread them evenly through the day. You will adjust but some people take a little longer than others. Conversely other people get constipated. Or think they do. Less rubbish means less waste out so maybe it’s just less. But if it’s really a problem more fats and magnesium supplements help as does water.
3. Water. Carbs hold water in your body. Less carbs = less water so drink more, quite a bit more. Dehydration makes you feel terrible.
4. All that extra water and less processed food means you might well need extra electrolytes. Sodium, magnesium and potassium. From foods ideally but supplements will do if you are struggling. Lack of these can cause headaches, lethargy racing heart and a general terrible feeling.
5. Eyes. It is not unusual for vision to go a bit blurry as bgl drop pretty quickly. Your eyeballs are used to swimming in sugar and have adapted to it. They need to readapt which usually happens in a few weeks. Don’t race out and buy new glasses if you must get something the cheaper the better as you’ll probably need t9 change them again in weeks.

Try and stick to filling meals and not snack. Every time we eat we stimulate insulin. Not good for improving insulin resistance- the fundamental cause of type 2. It’s better to allow rests between feeds. Eventually you’ll find appetite drops a lot when eating this way (nutrient dense instead of empty calories) and having longer gaps between meals gets easier.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In addition to the excellent advice above can I just warn you of a few common hiccups people have, in order to avoid them.
1. Hunger. Don’t go hungry. In these early days eat as much fat and protein as you feel you need to avoid this. Meats, cheese, cream, bacon etc etc. In a week or two, once you’re getting into the swing of it and over the first couple of weeks adjusting you can cut this back to just enough to keep you full. Ideally you want to burn the fat you wear rather what you eat
2. Talking of fats ...This drastic change in eating habits often leads to other habits changing. A big increase in fats for some people can bring on diarrhoea. Just ease back the fats and spread them evenly through the day. You will adjust but some people take a little longer than others. Conversely other people get constipated. Or think they do. Less rubbish means less waste out so maybe it’s just less. But if it’s really a problem more fats and magnesium supplements help as does water.
3. Water. Carbs hold water in your body. Less carbs = less water so drink more, quite a bit more. Dehydration makes you feel terrible.
4. All that extra water and less processed food means you might well need extra electrolytes. Sodium, magnesium and potassium. From foods ideally but supplements will do if you are struggling. Lack of these can cause headaches, lethargy racing heart and a general terrible feeling.
5. Eyes. It is not unusual for vision to go a bit blurry as bgl drop pretty quickly. Your eyeballs are used to swimming in sugar and have adapted to it. They need to readapt which usually happens in a few weeks. Don’t race out and buy new glasses if you must get something the cheaper the better as you’ll probably need t9 change them again in weeks.

Try and stick to filling meals and not snack. Every time we eat we stimulate insulin. Not good for improving insulin resistance- the fundamental cause of type 2. It’s better to allow rests between feeds. Eventually you’ll find appetite drops a lot when eating this way (nutrient dense instead of empty calories) and having longer gaps between meals gets easier.

More good advice. It's funny you mention the blurry vision as just this last hour started noticing bit of it. Don't think a day and half of healthier eating and one Metformin could trigger this but I'm finding most of my preconceptions are wrong.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We usually tell newbies not to get new specs until their blood settles. If desperate then buy off the shelf in the short term.

Our way of eating runs contrary to everyeverything we were taught. We don't touch low fat etc. Relearning can take a while.

Some medications can raise our levels. I won't take statins for example. Going low carb can raise your cholesterol but it should settle in time.

You will fall off the wagon. When you do, treat it as part of your education and climb back on. Don't beat yourself up. It took me around 4 weeks to break the carb addiction.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More good advice. It's funny you mention the blurry vision as just this last hour started noticing bit of it. Don't think a day and half of healthier eating and one Metformin could trigger this but I'm finding most of my preconceptions are wrong.
It shouldn’t last too long, obviously if you get concerned get it checked. It can be quite scary if you don’t know this though.

Reactions: Craigmartin

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to mention. When you get your meter, bank on using about 200 strips per month. Testing is not forever.

Download the mysugr app and record your food and numbers. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c. It gets more accurate the more data you enter. I found it highly motivating when I first started.

I got my hba1c down from 122 to 35 in 4 months. However I was pretty anal about the whole thing. I went keto, less than 20g per day and to say I was obsessed would be an understatement. If I was going to have to do it again, I would probably have had a few more carbs and gone a bit more slowly.

Reactions: Redbutterfly

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My two pennies are firstly my HbA1c was higher than yours at 134, and I had similar blood glucose of between 16 and 20. Now my numbers are within the normal range. Above is some great advice, but I will not sugar coat anything just for brevity. "Normal" so called eating will not work for your numbers (ever) i'm afraid as your systems have been broken by diabetes. Unless you are a freak of nature, you will need to use Keto like methodology to either put your diabetes into remission or be very well managed.

There may be times when you think potato this, pasta that, a little rice, it doesn't work for people like us (the numbers you posted). It is not doom and gloom because all you are really replacing is junk, with real whole foods as nature intended and what your body has always expected (and will respond to).

To keep it simple if you choose this path, avoid most items in packets and tins (until you fully grasp low carb / keto ingredients).

Eat mostly from the below (this will dramatically lower you blood sugars and drop fat):

upload_2020-4-23_20-28-38.png

upload_2020-4-23_20-33-12.png

upload_2020-4-23_20-35-33.png

• Cut out sugar (all types, especially sandwiches, cereals, rice, pasta and potatoes)
  • Eat no more than 3 times a day (aim for 2 and sometimes 1 eventually, you will know when this feels right)
  • Prioritise sleep (this is as important as anything else)
  • Walk after every meal
You mind and societal settings will try to make eat the stuff that got you into this situation. If you cut out sugar and carbs your taste will change e.g. I now like 100% dark chocolate and can smell the sugar in food. Keep in mind, most people who you see everyday are metabolically challenged, but just don't know it with either high blood pressure, high triglycerides / low hdl (important lipid markers), either high glucose or wide fluctuations, large waist to height ratio, and other poor markers of health such as high CRP (inflammation marker); all of these are influenced by the so called "normal" foods negatively.

By following the above I went from several serious diabetes complications (nerve issues, failing site, frequent urination, lost tooth, bleeding gums, tiredness, etc), to, walking 7 miles a day, lifting double my body weight, feeling of vitality and diabetes remission (along with great health markers).

As I said the above advice is great. If you stick to an animal protein, low carb veg / salad and for fruit berries, you could fix 80 - 90% of what is needed without measuring anything.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And asparagus is in season! Yay!

And for full disclosure, I eat potatoes once a year. Roasted in beef dripping, on Christmas day.

Reactions: mymuk

Porter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
Keep an open mind. I not a fan of the keto diet. Ketones by product of the Body trying to use fat as an alternative source of fuel for energy. Ketones are poisonous to the Body. I was Type 2 for 15 years and ate certain carbs, avoided the sugar carbs. HBa1c was well controlled. Eating low or no carbs does not directly reduce BG levels. Insulin is the thing that allows the Body to transfer glucose from blood stream to the necessary organs.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heck of a difference between being in ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis. Can you link to any references?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep an open mind. I not a fan of the keto diet. Ketones by product of the Body trying to use fat as an alternative source of fuel for energy. Ketones are poisonous to the Body. I was Type 2 for 15 years and ate certain carbs, avoided the sugar carbs. HBa1c was well controlled. Eating low or no carbs does not directly reduce BG levels. Insulin is the thing that allows the Body to transfer glucose from blood stream to the necessary organs.

With due respect, you are Type 1 with insulin injections. It isn't quite the same for you. Your body produces little or no insulin and you can control the amount of insulin you inject. A typical T2 body produces too much insulin, so we need to keep our insulin production under control by not eating too many carbs. Too much circulating insulin causes weight gain and insulin resistance.