Type2 confirmed yesterday

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Keep an open mind. I not a fan of the keto diet. Ketones by product of the Body trying to use fat as an alternative source of fuel for energy. Ketones are poisonous to the Body. I was Type 2 for 15 years and ate certain carbs, avoided the sugar carbs. HBa1c was well controlled. Eating low or no carbs does not directly reduce BG levels. Insulin is the thing that allows the Body to transfer glucose from blood stream to the necessary organs.
I would like to gently put an alternative view. In practice, e.g, removing potatoes or rice does reduce blood glucose. At Christmas there are plenty of anecdotes that show this is the case, as well as taking readings from either manual blood glucose meters or cgm's and HbA1c's. Science also indicates that sugar / carbs does raise blood glucose the most - this is well established. Most persons including Type 1's who follow a well formulated Ketogenic diet get no where near Ketoacidosis, which is a different physiological condition.

If you experienced a bad reaction to Keto over a period of time you would be an outlier following the 80 / 20 rule.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep an open mind. I not a fan of the keto diet. Ketones by product of the Body trying to use fat as an alternative source of fuel for energy. Ketones are poisonous to the Body. I was Type 2 for 15 years and ate certain carbs, avoided the sugar carbs. HBa1c was well controlled. Eating low or no carbs does not directly reduce BG levels. Insulin is the thing that allows the Body to transfer glucose from blood stream to the necessary organs.
Excessive ketones in the presence of high blood glucose levels are dangerous ie ketoacidosis. This is NOT the same as dietary ketosis with low blood glucose levels which is biologically a natural state.

My meter, and that of almost every other member, shows eating carbs - or not - effects blood glucose levels. Insulin allows transfer but not very well in the case of type 2 insulin resistance.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for those small tomatoes which are really sweet - it is sugar. I thought I'd eat some which were going a bit soft, sloshed vinegar over them ate the lot with some cheese and celery - felt a bit strange and tested my blood glucose !!!!!
I have not seen double figures for years. One salad type tomato is fine, but not those little devils.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going shopping shortly armed with bit more info.. Some of the high/low carb food and drink truly surprised me.Literally polar opposite of general opinions. One last question for now. In the past I've used maximuscle promax lean protein powders as an aid for weight loss pre gym instead of breakfast and it worked for me.Would that be ok now? Again reading conflicting advice..
I think a lot of the conflict comes from how it's prepared... Your brand is okay far as carbs per portion, but how does one use it/ just water? Fine. Protein smoothy with some banana and such mixed in? Carb bomb. So yeah. ;)

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think a lot of the conflict comes from how it's prepared... Your brand is okay far as carbs per portion, but how does one use it/ just water? Fine. Protein smoothy with some banana and such mixed in? Carb bomb. So yeah. ;)

Yes just water. I may use it when gym reopens as I feel better on that before workout but reading all this I'm hoping by that time to have numbers down.
Had bacon egg and tomato for breakfast washed down with 2nd ever Metformin. I find it bonkers that is better for me than toast cereal and orange juice?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes just water. I may use it when gym reopens as I feel better on that before workout but reading all this I'm hoping by that time to have numbers down.
Had bacon egg and tomato for breakfast washed down with 2nd ever Metformin. I find it bonkers that is better for me than toast cereal and orange juice?
I know! We had a nutritionist come in here once, and he thought we were either absolutely nuts cultists, or trying to pull his leg... His meter didn't lie though. ;)

After decades of the low-fat mantra, T2 is running rampant world wide. So there just might be something to this low carb thing, eh. ;)

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On reading all this knowledge that people have learnt the hard way and are passing on i now starting to understand Carbs and how before diagnosis I took them for granted.
Keep saying it but thanks everyone..

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having few problem post lunch.. Read it may happen on starting Metformin but hoped I'd avoid. Basically it's stomach ache followed by the squits. Not nice and drinking plenty of water. Is Imodium an option or is it a case of just getting used to tablets?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some people simply can't take them. The slow release tablets are kinder.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will see how go over the weekend and pray it settles.
Really want to go for a good long walk but daren't stray away from the WC.
Best not to stray too far from the toilet until it passes. Should be in 2 weeks, if it passes. I couldn't take it, lived in the wc for a month, and things got decidedly bloody, before I was taken off it. Hence my going for diet instead. Was certainly more effective than the met ever was... You could opt to try and change your diet, (people sometimes ask for 3 months' grace, see how their HbA1c improves in the meantime) and put off taking the met for a bit. Or forever. Entirely up to you, of course. ;)

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best not to stray too far from the toilet until it passes. Should be in 2 weeks, if it passes. I couldn't take it, lived in the wc for a month, and things got decidedly bloody, before I was taken off it. Hence my going for diet instead. Was certainly more effective than the met ever was... You could opt to try and change your diet, (people sometimes ask for 3 months' grace, see how their HbA1c improves in the meantime) and put off taking the met for a bit. Or forever. Entirely up to you, of course. ;)

Was thinking about that option as i have seriously bought into the low carb way.
Was also thinking it may have been due to sudden increase in salad/veg after a megarich carb and sugar lifestyle? Seems I'm full of questions? Will see what next week's numbers are and take stock.

awj

Hy guys. After initial mix of emotions I've accepted the fact I'm diabetic 2.
Always been a big guy and over life lost weight and piled it back on umpteen times whilst drinking and eating unhealthily.Lost my father last year and that spurred me into gym and diet kick and lost over 6stone so far. Whilst feeling better for weight loss had few ailments in that year and generally 'down'which my doctor said was likely grief/stress. Long story short culminates in diagnosis 24 hr ago.The stats I remember 121. 16.2 sugar and 0.7 ketones. My blood pressure was good and all other tests ok. Took first Metformin with breakfast and been ok so far. Obviously reading about nutrition and cutting carbs and bad fat and sugar. Due back week tomorrow for checks again so will start to get numbers and Info to see if I progress etc. Any advice gratefully received and if anyone knows roughly what calorie intake I should take aim for then great?
BMI is 47 so not great but a lot better than it was. I've tried a couple of different sites and getting contradictory results.. Cheers
Hi @Craigmartin & welcome.
Being diagnosed comes as a shock doesn't it and youre probably wondering what on earth can you eat! Well fear not, you won't starve as there's umpteen amounts of food you can eat without elevating your bgls (blood glucose levels) too much.

I suggest you buy a copy of the book CARB & CALORIE COUNTER. I bought my copy from amazon.co.uk four years ago and I still refer to it today. It tells you everything you need to know about how many carbs there are in food & drinks plus the protein; fibre; saturated fats values.
20170808_191413.jpg
You'll feel healthier than you have in a long time if you follow a healthy diet combined with exercise:joyful: Keep yourself hydrated too by drinking water through the day.

Btw very well done on your weight loss, 6stone is a fantastic amount of weight to lose. Keep up the good work.
Best wishes.

Reactions: Craigmartin

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was thinking about that option as i have seriously bought into the low carb way.
Was also thinking it may have been due to sudden increase in salad/veg after a megarich carb and sugar lifestyle? Seems I'm full of questions? Will see what next week's numbers are and take stock.
Usually when someone switches to low carb, their body needs a moment to get used to it... And that leads to, more often than not, a bit of constipation. Also because fats and protein are used by the body... There's less waste as well as less fluids being retained by carbs. So the best bet would be to blame it entirely on the met, though everyone responds differently, of course.

And being full of questions is a good thing. Means you're hunting for answers that'll get you back to good. :)

Reactions: Craigmartin

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Usually when someone switches to low carb, their body needs a moment to get used to it... And that leads to, more often than not, a bit of constipation. Also because fats and protein are used by the body... There's less waste as well as less fluids being retained by carbs. So the best bet would be to blame it entirely on the met, though everyone responds differently, of course.

And being full of questions is a good thing. Means you're hunting for answers that'll get you back to good. :)

Thankfully stomach settled somewhat.
Just had my evening meal mainly bbq meat and salad very nice,I've eaten well today and haven't felt hungry even after the attack of poops after lunch. Not one slice of bread or wrap. In fact after 3 meals and plenty of water and green mint tea and 1 coke zero using your carbs guide i have consumed 38.5g carbs..I estimate used to consume over 300g daily. I know calorie counting is secondary but today worked out roughly 1700. Not much excersise today but aim to do bit extra tomorrow . That's me finished with food today so quite happy with those numbers.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankfully stomach settled somewhat.
Just had my evening meal mainly bbq meat and salad very nice,I've eaten well today and haven't felt hungry even after the attack of poops after lunch. Not one slice of bread or wrap. In fact after 3 meals and plenty of water and green mint tea and 1 coke zero using your carbs guide i have consumed 38.5g carbs..I estimate used to consume over 300g daily. I know calorie counting is secondary but today worked out roughly 1700. Not much excersise today but aim to do bit extra tomorrow . That's me finished with food today so quite happy with those numbers.
As you should be. Well done. :)

M

Member496333

Ketones are poisonous to the Body.

So the body stores excess energy in fat cells. Then, when it decides it needs to use some of this reserve fuel, it poisons itself in the process? Are you sure?