Type 2 Ulcerative Colitis

abseil12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with UC. I can't get my head around what I am supposed to eat. They recommended that whilst I was suffering the symptoms, I might find it better to keep to a 'beige' diet; white bread, white pasta, white rice, veg and fruit without pips or skin. Almost the exact opposite of a low carb diet for diabetes. Anybody able to offer any advice of guidance please? TIA

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They recommended that whilst I was suffering the symptoms, I might find it better to keep to a 'beige' diet; white bread, white pasta, white rice, veg and fruit without pips or skin.
Can it be they meant you might do better avoiding fibre? So the white stuff as opposed to the whole grain stuff?
If that;s the case, why not eat protein and veg without pips or skin, which fits fine in a low carb diet?

Reactions: EllieM and abseil12

abseil12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can it be they meant you might do better avoiding fibre? So the white stuff as opposed to the whole grain stuff?
If that;s the case, why not eat protein and veg without pips or skin, which fits fine in a low carb diet?

I think that may be what they were alluding to. The carnivore diet post above by Mbaker was interesting but I am not a great meat eater. I guess it will be trial and improvement (preferable to trial and error!). I'll go low carb again and see how the UC is. If it isn't ok, I could try going more keto and if that doesn't work, guess I'll try the carnivore diet.

Reactions: Antje77 and Mbaker

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby doesn’t have diabetes but eats low carb, he has colloid colitis and when he has a flare up he eats chicken, white fish, mild cheese, cottage cheese, omelette, high cocoa chocolate, sometimes he makes a chocolate mousse with whipped cream and melted chocolate, even though they say don’t eat nuts he’s fine with ground almonds and makes a mug bread now and then. He also eats most cooked meats but sometimes if they are too fatty such as pork belly they can be a bit rich for him.

I have diverticula disease and this is also what I eat when I have a flare up, although since I went low carb it happens rarely now