1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Unable to have induction hob with insulin pump

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by walshdon, Jan 1, 2015.

1. walshdon

walshdon Type 1 · Active Member

Well I never though my diabetes would effect me buying kitchen appliances but here you go, I just looked at a neff induction hob where it states has electro magnetic field. Just out of curiosity looked it up for insulin pumps and lots of sites saying shouldn't use. Has anyone had issues with there induction hobs??

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The same applies to microwaves if you read your pump manual :) Obviously I don't read so don't have a problem.

3. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Got a neff induction. (Superb by the way). But did not realise until it was put in and reading instructions that it shouldn't be used with a pump.

I still use it and stand by it etc and as far as I know my pump is fine. Mind you, my using it is pretty rare to be honest as hubby does 99% of cooking. The only thing I do is probably boil eggs occasionally on it. If hubby is cooking he generally clears me out the kitchen anyway.....

I don't make a point of avoiding it. As hob is used so little it is turned off at the mains when not in use.

• Like Like x 2
  4. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The EM field could affect the pump, and the pump control.either over pumping, or stalling out.
    It depends on the pump technology, distance from the hob, even the type of pan on the hob, and the amount of power you're using will have a varying affect on the field possibly affecting the pump.

So, could be better to avoid it if you can.

5. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Oh, I've used this as an excellent method to get my hubby to do the cooking... Worked out very successfully -lol!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Minnie45

Minnie45 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, it didn't even cross my mind. Used one the other week but thankfully no bad effects, guess I should keep well clear from now on.

7. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

Interesting, I am having my kitchen redone, and have decided not to have one as my mum has a pacemaker and they are a complete no no with these!

8. Dustydazzler

Dustydazzler Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I moved into a rented house that already had an induction hob (it's brilliant). I disconnect my pump and leave it off while I cook. I tend not to make complicated meals so it's not off for long and I've not noticed any problems with my levels by doing this. If I ever think it's been off for a significant time I would add on half or one unit when I dish up to cover what I might have missed. The magnetic field has been suggested to cause problems and I don't want to risk breaking my pump. (Oh, and hubby always shouts 'hob on' if he's doing the cooking haha)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook