Uncalled for High Blood Sugars

Jakem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been a type one diabetic all my life, and I take care of my diabetes as best as i can. Most of the time i have good blood sugars, but some times they seem to rise up for no apparent reason. The last straw was last night when i checked my blood sugar before bed and it was 150, which is good for me. I then proceeded to do my dose of Lantus and went to bed. When i woke up today my blood sugar was 200. If anyone has any answers or ideas on why blood sugars spike for no apparent reason, it would be much appreciated.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I've been a type one diabetic all my life, and I take care of my diabetes as best as i can. Most of the time i have good blood sugars, but some times they seem to rise up for no apparent reason. The last straw was last night when i checked my blood sugar before bed and it was 150, which is good for me. I then proceeded to do my dose of Lantus and went to bed. When i woke up today my blood sugar was 200. If anyone has any answers or ideas on why blood sugars spike for no apparent reason, it would be much appreciated.
Do you get stressed easily because i notice when i get bullied at college even though i've done the right amount of novo. Mine still goes high. Probabably most likely due to all the stress.

Jakem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you get stressed easily because i notice when i get bullied at college even though i've done the right amount of novo. Mine still goes high. Probabably most likely due to all the stress.
That could be a factor, but i've been stress free lately.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So these unexplainable highs are caused by changes in nature, and i just have to work with it?

It's possible.

If it was me, I'd see if it happened again. I'd also think if I could account for it (eg a late meal, etc). If it seemed random and sudden, I'd consider starting a new insulin pen/vial/cartridge in case the insulin was losing its effectiveness.

Sadly, sometimes we can't know for sure what's caused a higher than usual blood sugar.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
there are many reasons your blood sugar could have risen overnight.

change in weather , stress , oncoming illness , are a few.

also , as meters are not totally accurate ( +/- 10%)
your bedtime could have really been a 160 and your waking a 190 so then the difference is not as great.

I would be looking to see if any sort of pattern is developing and possibly make adjustments after a few days of observing.

I am sure most of us get an unexplainable result from time to time as well... I know I do.

Reactions: Freema