Uncertain Diagnosis...

Courts_12

Hi everyone, I am Courtney and I am 22. I have just been diagnosed with diabetes in April although the doctors were unsure whether it was type 1 or Type 2. I am 5ft5 and 65kg.

I have waited 4 weeks for the results and still have received nothing, I feel terrified and after taking these metformin and gliclazide tablets I feel sick constantly. Yet still no ketones and my blood sugar fluctuates from 4 which I understand is normal up to 14 and above. Is it normal to be feeling like this? I just want to stop feeling so drained and stressed.

I am scared which type I am and I have just been given a monitor to check my levels and leaflets then sent on my way.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
As you are less than 30 years old, ask your GP for a referral for further tests to the diabetes unit attached to your hospital. You should get a GAD and IA2 antibody test and c-peptide test to see if you are T1DM. Antibodies support T1DM. A stimulated c-peptide (3-month average insulin) < than 0.2 nmol/l indicate type 1. c-peptide > than 1 and antibody negative indicates type 2.

Courts_12

As you are less than 30 years old, ask your GP for a referral for further tests to the diabetes unit attached to your hospital. You should get a GAD and IA2 antibody test and c-peptide test to see if you are T1DM. Antibodies support T1DM. A stimulated c-peptide (3-month average insulin) < than 0.2 nmol/l indicate type 1. c-peptide > than 1 and antibody negative indicates type 2.

Thank you for replying and I was in the hospital for 3 days. I think they did a test on my pancreas with a blood test? Although I am unsure they just said to expect my results back in 2-3 weeks but still nothing and my GP have no clue. But the diabetes doctors said this would let them know which type I am.

I am really confused with it all. The only thing I have got from them is a hospital appointment with a diabetes doctor at the end of June.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying and I was in the hospital for 3 days. I think they did a test on my pancreas with a blood test? Although I am unsure they just said to expect my results back in 2-3 weeks but still nothing and my GP have no clue. But the diabetes doctors said this would let them know which type I am.

I am really confused with it all. The only thing I have got from them is a hospital appointment with a diabetes doctor at the end of June.

Hi there, Courts. From my reading on here, the test that takes a while to come back is one of those to differentiate between T1 and T2.

If your predicted 4 week wait is up, hopefully you should have the results soon.

Whichever type you are, I'm sure you'll find plenty helpful folks on here, to help you through your early days.

Fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: 1spuds

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you call your surgery and ask if they have the results yet? Or hospital and ask the same?

The nausea might be the metformin, it’s not an unusual reaction. You could ask your gp for the slow release version which is usually better tolerated.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
While you are waiting for the results have a look at the information about sugar and carbs - as whatever treatment they offer you need to understand the nutrition info.
All carbohydrates convert to sugars, so just looking at added sugar is not enough.
If you type 2 then a low carb diet could get you into remission, it will certainly help to lower your blood sugar, if you are type 1 then blood testing will let you know how much carbs to eat each meal to try to keep your levels stable.

Courts_12

Hi there, Courts. From my reading on here, the test that takes a while to come back is one of those to differentiate between T1 and T2.

If your predicted 4 week wait is up, hopefully you should have the results soon.

Whichever type you are, I'm sure you'll find plenty helpful folks on here, to help you through your early days.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thank you, hoping the results come back soon although it feels like a waiting game. I feel like once I know which type I am I will finally know how to feel about it all.

Courts_12

Can you call your surgery and ask if they have the results yet? Or hospital and ask the same?

The nausea might be the metformin, it’s not an unusual reaction. You could ask your gp for the slow release version which is usually better tolerated.

I called my doctors and they have still not received anything back from the hospital. Unsure of which department to ring for the hospital.

I did not realise they had another type of metformin. Thank you, I will ask my GP about it.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
My GP wasn't sure which type I was, my GAD antibodies came back negative.
So I was diagnosed type two, no surprise really as I have lots of family members with diabetes.
Try taking your Metformin with food, it might help.
You will eventually start to feel better, I know it's a pain waiting for tests.
Here to listen anytime.
Take care

Courts_12

Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
My GP wasn't sure which type I was, my GAD antibodies came back negative.
So I was diagnosed type two, no surprise really as I have lots of family members with diabetes.
Try taking your Metformin with food, it might help.
You will eventually start to feel better, I know it's a pain waiting for tests.
Here to listen anytime.
Take care

Hi,

Thank you and honestly I am just confused with it all. They first said it was type 1 then type 2 for now and gave me the tablets. But then my discharge papers say it is a possibility of type 1 of an early onset.

How is it managing type 2? And what do you eat?

It feels like a really long wait and I will try take it with food. I have been having it before food but it just puts me off eating.

Thank you though it means a lot.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Thank you and honestly I am just confused with it all. They first said it was type 1 then type 2 for now and gave me the tablets. But then my discharge papers say it is a possibility of type 1 of an early onset.

It feels like a really long wait and I will try take it with food. I have been having it before food but it just puts me off eating.

Most of us in here manage our type 2 by eating low carb high fat to varying degrees. Some keto (typically but not always as low as 20g carbs a day) others as much as 100-150g a day. The biggies to avoid or limit are obviously sugar but also bread, rice, potato, pasta and grains such as oats and cereals including flour in products too. Doesn’t much matter what colour any of these are (GI or GL) they still have the same carbs just the speed they hit you at varies. We eat lots of meat and fish, veg (mostly above ground), salad, eggs, dairy including cheese and cream. It is pretty much the opposite of what we’re all told to eat. But it works.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing immediately before a meal and 2 hrs after will give you an idea what foods cause the biggest rise in glucose. This knowledge will be useful whichever type you are so maybe whilst you wait do some testing and keep a food diary and look to see what has what effect on you. Sometimes it might be worth doing a third check at 3 hrs as some foods rise more slowly than others.

D

Deleted Account

As you are less than 30 years old, ask your GP for a referral for further tests to the diabetes unit attached to your hospital.
For future reference for anyone else reading this post, there is no maximum age when you are likely to have type 1
Considering something like 35% of people with diabetes are incorrectly diagnosed as type 2 (for example Theresa May was incorrectly diagnosed at a much higher age than 30) I would insist upon test to identify the type.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I am Courtney and I am 22. I have just been diagnosed with diabetes in April although the doctors were unsure whether it was type 1 or Type 2. I am 5ft5 and 65kg.

I have waited 4 weeks for the results and still have received nothing, I feel terrified and after taking these metformin and gliclazide tablets I feel sick constantly. Yet still no ketones and my blood sugar fluctuates from 4 which I understand is normal up to 14 and above. Is it normal to be feeling like this? I just want to stop feeling so drained and stressed.

I am scared which type I am and I have just been given a monitor to check my levels and leaflets then sent on my way.

Hiya, very similar situation to my own (I am 26 but my height and weight was similar at diagnosis) And 7 months down the line they still have no clue what type I am :). The latest is that I am being tested for MODY - I think my results are due back in June.

At first I was praying to be T2 as I initially thought T1 was the ‘bad one’ (I was very naive at the time) and in fact I initially refused taking insulin. However I quickly realised I felt very ill and couldn’t continue!

For me, I have been focusing on the treatment rather than the type, although I am hoping at some point I will have a diagnosis.

On all my most recent paperwork from the doctors it says T1 - but I think that is just because I am on a basal/bolus regime and young.

Good luck with everything :)

Reactions: Kim Possible

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Hi,
I eat low carb, I'm on insulin as well.
My last hbacl was much better, the HbA1c is a blood test that looks at blood glucose levels for 3 months previously.
It's best to try foods out by testing with a blood glucose monitor by taking prior to food and 2 hours post.
It will show you which foods spike you.
I have the occasional treat especially dark chocolate.
Please ask any questions that you may have.
Take care

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Courts_12

So sorry to hear you're diabetic and especially that you haven't a clear decision re type 1 or 2. {{{Hugs}}} I'm sure you'll find this forum very helpful and supportive :)

Just for information, I couldn't tolerate Gliclizide. It made me feel extremely nauseaus so my GP changed me to Glipizide (which is a very similiar tablet) and it suits me very well. I also take Metformin, with no issues at all. So, if it's not found to be Metformin, consider asking for a change from Gliclazide.

Having said that, if it's determined you're Type 1, this will be likely to be totally academic as you'd need insulin instead.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hi and welcome to the forums @Courts_12

I think the most important thing right now is to get a certain diagnosis of what is going on, there's always a chance that it could be T1 or you could be one of the 'thin outside' T2's but try not to panic. Getting results is the best idea and keep monitoring but low carb will really help between now and then for now but please watch for any lows that could be going on and keep the healthcare team updated.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the testing foods advice given earlier. I keep a log of every meal,and also record my numbers too.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
For future reference for anyone else reading this post, there is no maximum age when you are likely to have type 1
Considering something like 35% of people with diabetes are incorrectly diagnosed as type 2 (for example Theresa May was incorrectly diagnosed at a much higher age than 30) I would insist upon test to identify the type.
Probabilistically normal BMI and under 30 would indicate type 1. I never said anything about it being age restricted. There are just more cases. But you need IA2 and GAD antibodies.
Without IA2 and GAD antibodies, Teresa May could be thin type 2. She couldn't control her blood sugars with diet (she was pictured eating hot chips on the campaign trail over the weekend, so I'm not surprised) so she went onto insulin. More and more thin type 2's, who have more type1 like symptoms, are put on insulin and told they're type 1 without any sign of antibodies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Probabilistically normal BMI and under 30 would indicate type 1
Can you provide a reference for this fact?
I am interested as someone who was diagnosed with type 1 with normal bmi at a higher age and aware of others.

As for Theresa May eating chips. there is nothing wrong with eating chips (or any carbs) when you have type 1 (which is it reported she definitely has) diabetes if you inject your insulin.
Chips (or any carbs) do not lead directly to insulin resistance.

Last edited by a moderator: