Uncomfortable Insulin Pump

Beery

I’ve been on the Medtronic 640g pump for around a week now and have noticed that I always find it uncomfortable wherever I put my infusion set. Sometimes it can go from uncomfortable to a dull pain in my abdomen where I have placed the infusion set, I’m wondering why this is or is it just because I’m not used to having a cannula in my abdomen.
Will the feeling go away eventually?
I should also mention in quite lean so I’m wondering if I should use the angled ones as they may not go as deep into my abdomen?
Very new to this so any help on the matter would be great.

D

Deleted Account

What cannula do you use?
Like you, I am lean and when I started using the Animas Vibe with the standard cannula and could feel the cannula all the time.
I was changed to what Animas called “Inset 30” which are annuals that go in at 30 degrees rather than the usual 90 degrees. This was much more comfortable.
I believe Medtronic have something similar.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Beery Can you confirm which set so is it the mio ? I use the sure t which is a steel tip set and very little discomfort and manually inserted - you know instantly if you’ve hit a good spot, if not new set immediately and little room for error with bent cannula sets too.

Beery

Hello @Beery Can you confirm which set so is it the mio ? I use the sure t which is a steel tip set and very little discomfort and manually inserted - you know instantly if you’ve hit a good spot, if not new set immediately and little room for error with bent cannula sets too.

I use the mio set, I’ve heard of these angled types so I’m wondering if I’m better trying them out or giving this a couple more tries.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Beery

I'm not using the same pump but found with mine that the metal needles caused me discomfort. I also tried the angled ones but these were also uncomfortable. I moved to teflon ones which I find are great. Also the length makes quite a difference too.

Others can help on what types of cannula are available for your pump hopefully you'll find one thats more comfortable.

It does seem to vary from person to person though, most of us have experimented to find the optimum personal fit.

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Beery I’m now on an omnipod but used the 640g for just under a year. I’m very lean and struggled with sets so I was put on the mio30’s which took away all the discomfort right away!

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I’m using the MIO. You may want to go for the shorter cannula infusion set. Like with injections you always find that nerve every so often. I have the Enlite as well and they hurt much more frequently than the MIO’s. I assume you are putting them in the ‘correct’ place. There are some of us here that are very creative, something I wouldn’t recommend until you are very experienced. Basically anywhere you inject is ok, but I tend to concentrate half way between hip and belly button

D

Deleted Account

@sophc I am interested to read you are lean and use the OmniPod.
I am nervous about changing to a tubeless pump because there does not appear to be a 30 degree option with them.
Do you find any problems with your Pod's 90 degree insert? Does it limit where you can position your Pod?

sophc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @helensaramay . The cannula goes in at 45 degrees and not 90. The cannula is only 6mm so it doesn’t sit as deep as the mio 30 as that one is 13mm long. I absolutely love it. I wear it on the back of my arms , my upper buttocks and I’ve even tried it on my thigh! I’m 5ft 9 and just under 9 stone so I really don’t have a lot of fatty deposits for it to sit in and I’m getting on ok * touch wood *. I wish I had switched sooner .

Reactions: Kim Possible

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I find both of the medtronic sets uncomfortable. I often wake in the night with the irritation with them.