Understanding the numbers

Old School

I have been disgnosed as Type 2 with a Hba1c result of 100, I have tried without success to make sense of concerting this to mmol but can't get my head around it at the moment - can anybody help or point me towards a way of calculating this?

Many thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Old School , and welcome to the forum!

Is this of use? Top 2 rows are hba1c in mmol/mol (UK) and % (US).
Bottom rows are the corresponding average blood sugars in mg/dl (US) and mmol/l (UK).

Both measurements are used in other countries as well of course.

image-asset.jpeg

Old School

Thanks guys - both responses are really useful. I've been checking my mmol for about a month and it has gone steadily down to around an average of 8.5. Long way to go but I think that counts as progress?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys - both responses are really useful. I've been checking my mmol for about a month and it has gone steadily down to around an average of 8.5. Long way to go but I think that counts as progress?

Sure does well done.. What are you doing to get it lower?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is, and congratulations. :)

Old School

I was put on morning and evening Metaformin and straight away I cut out the junk - I was eating pretty badly and changed this overnight. I've made sure I get at least an hour walking everyday and am sticking to low carb as much as possible. Have still got a shocking weakness for salt and vinegar crisps but I work hard to ensure I "earn the right to have a bag" Have lost almost a stone so far but a long way to go still.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on morning and evening Metaformin and straight away I cut out the junk - I was eating pretty badly and changed this overnight. I've made sure I get at least an hour walking everyday and am sticking to low carb as much as possible. Have still got a shocking weakness for salt and vinegar crisps but I work hard to ensure I "earn the right to have a bag" Have lost almost a stone so far but a long way to go still.
Sounds like you're making good progress so keep it up!

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just about halved your mmol so reasons to be cheerful.
Seems to slow a little as near better numbers so don't change what your doing and persevere.The 5s will come im sure.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did 91 to 47 at the second test, and then was at 41 for the 6 month one so you might well see something similar.
Although I reduced my daily maximum carbs after getting 42 at 2 years, that is where I have stayed - I suspect that all the low fat low calorie high carb diets over half a century broke something, and although I am feeling well I just can't push back to fully normal - but I am almost 70 and gadding about merrily so I don't think I can complain, really.

Reactions: VashtiB and Ceppo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the 3 month test and have got to hba1c of 55, had hoped it would be a touch better but I guess I started from a high number?
It's one heck of a reduction, you've halved your results! Congratulations. And take it as a win, please... You've done really well.

Reactions: LaoDan

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the 3 month test and have got to hba1c of 55, had hoped it would be a touch better but I guess I started from a high number?
thats brilliant in just 3 months. Keep up the good work, its a lifelong journey, not a sprint

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be wholeheartedly congratulating yourself! Well done :D

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Winner! Great work!