Type 2 unhealthy eating

steveo.101

If my my BG is stable at around 5/6..... With medication....Why do i need to give up nice foods?...serious question

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If my my BC is stable at around 5/6..... With medication....Why do i need to give up nice foods?...serious question

You don't. It's all about choice. If you are well researched, happy with being on medication, prepared to accept any risk that may come with your choice of what constitutes 'nice food' and so on, then carry on. I think the worse thing is when people carry on doing things that may affect their health in ignorance. If a person deliberately makes a dubious choice why should anybody else care? If I may ask, maybe you could give us your reasoning on this matter? x

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @steveo.101 and welcome to the forum.

Can you give us a bit more information to go on?

Which ‘nice foods’ are you not wanting to give up? Who - if anyone - has told you you ‘have to’ give them up?

No-one has to give up anything but it’s always important to understand the pros and cons before making a decision.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What medication are you on to control your diabetes?

steveo.101

You don't. It's all about choice. If you are well researched, happy with being on medication, prepared to accept any risk that may come with your choice of what constitutes 'nice food' and so on, then carry on. I think the worse thing is when people carry on doing things that may affect their health in ignorance. If a person deliberately makes a dubious choice why should anybody else care? If I may ask, maybe you could give us your reasoning on this matter? x
What i was really getting as is...If my BG is within range..what are the risks
Hi @steveo.101 and welcome to the forum.

Can you give us a bit more information to go on?

Which ‘nice foods’ are you not wanting to give up? Who - if anyone - has told you you ‘have to’ give them up?

No-one has to give up anything but it’s always important to understand the pros and cons before making a decision.
Sorry for my ignorance....But i guess what i wanted to understand ...is BG levels the only thing about the condition that i have to worry about?..and if they are steady...?

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is if you over do it on the carb heavy sweet stuff your levels wont stay steady and you will end up on even more medication

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for my ignorance....But i guess what i wanted to understand ...is BG levels the only thing about the condition that i have to worry about?..and if they are steady...?

Hi thanks for coming back to clarify.

In terms of your original question about sweet foods, if you pr BG is stable and within a good range (the range of 5-6 you quoted is such a range), then the occasional sweet thing will likely not cause any lasting damage. However frequent consumption may make it harder to manage your diabetes, even with medication.

I’d say that BG levels are the most important aspect of managing your diabetes but that it is helpful if you fully understand a) what affects them and b) the underlying causes of type 2. With that information you’ll be able to make informed decisions about how best to manage your condition.

I recommend that you read The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung. Or have a look around this site/google to learn more about insulin resistance.

Reactions: steveo.101

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That will depend on what type of medication you are on. The answer if you are on insulin will be different from the answer if you are on Metformin.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on 1000mg metformin and 40mg Gliclazide.....type2
Gliclazide increases insulin and some people think that high insulin levels are harmful and can increase fat storage. You might be able to reduce your dependence on medication is you reduce your intake of carbohydrates. You should discuss this with your doctor if you want to go down that route.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Keeping bg levels in range certainly reduces the risk of further complications later on. We have access to tools and monitoring facilities that allow us to take control of things and using the information on this site allows us to keep those adversities away, But, we will remain , as diabetics, at greater risk of cardiovascular events even with good control.

All medications come with side effects and are never 100% safe in themselves, so most of us here strive to reduce or remove medication when we can. I am minded of the Rolling Stones singing about Mothers Little Helper, which is about using pills to take away the mental stress, and which turn out to be totally addictive and ruinous in their own right.

As already mentioned by others, you have choices to make. Unless someone has deprived you of it, you have a legal right to refuse advice, and also to refuse treatment, should you so wish (at least in the UK you do) But you are posting here, so hopefully you will get an answer to the question you posed. But it is for you to resolve. We cannot do that for you.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keeping bg levels in range certainly reduces the risk of further complications later on. We have access to tools and monitoring facilities that allow us to take control of things and using the information on this site allows us to keep those adversities away, But, we will remain , as diabetics, at greater risk of cardiovascular events even with good control.

All medications come with side effects and are never 100% safe in themselves, so most of us here strive to reduce or remove medication when we can. I am minded of the Rolling Stones singing about Mothers Little Helper, which is about using pills to take away the mental stress, and which turn out to be totally addictive and ruinous in their own right.

As already mentioned by others, you have choices to make. Unless someone has deprived you of it, you have a legal right to refuse advice, and also to refuse treatment, should you so wish (at least in the UK you do) But you are posting here, so hopefully you will get an answer to the question you posed. But it is for you to resolve. We cannot do that for you.

As a user of those medication myself, I chose to continue them even though I could remove them and still control my levels. Glilazide is possibly harmful because it forces the pancreas to overproduce insulin, which may cause long term damage, but that has not been proven yet, Its younger siblings in that class of medication have a poor track record in that respect, but Gliclazide is a newer version that hopefully has overcome that problem

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If my my BG is stable at around 5/6..... With medication....Why do i need to give up nice foods?...serious question

No medication is side effect free.

You may wish to continue with them but when they stop working so effectively will those "nice foods" seem quite so attractive.

I prefer eyes and toes and am saving meds for the (hopefully) far future if I ever need them.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Taking meds to balance too many carbs can result in weight gain and insulin resistance and this can become a vicious circle. Metformin doesn't have this effect so is fine but the Gliclazide might cause weight although 40mg is the lowest dose. If by nice foods you mean lots of sugary carbs then be careful!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I changed my definition of nice foods, now I can eat all I want.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you take Gliclazide it makes the pancreas produce more insulin, this can worsen insulin resistance. So, you can eat whatever you want, but there is a price to pay for eating pastries, cakes and junk, high carb foods like potatoes, rice and wheat based products.

Over time, eating these will eventually make your BG levels go up, so you'll need more meds and insulin resistance will continue to worsen... hence complications, heart disease, liver disease, sepsis infections, poor healing ability and loss of sight all become very real possibilities.

It's up to you what you do.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean if my sugar levels are controlled by medication....What risks are there? to eating sweet things
I was like you, 10 years ago just on metformin and bydureon. Hba1c of 42 and ate what I wanted
Then the levels kept slowly increasing, until this year 78 at the start and daplaglaflozin added. Levels not stabilising, insulin was pretty much a certain

so that’s your risk, your bloods will not stay stable and you will eventually not be able to sustain via drugs

If you would like another picture, my dad ate what he wanted as type 2. Ulcers on legs, sharko (sp) legs, twisted and bent with risk of amputations, many months/years in hospital with complications. Blind, glaucoma’s and eventually died of a stroke

You asked...

Even with my dad like that I just went on the basis of my bloods are great, what’s the harm... Covid and increasing lack of control have me the final kick.

I’m on a lower carb, minimal treats and down to 46 and much lighter.

Reactions: Oldvatr