Unreliable TEE2 meter?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On sunday I tested 5.1 two hours after eating. I then exercised quite vigorously despite feeling unenergetic. I then tested three hours after the previous test 6.8. I re-tested and got 5.5, then following Kristin's example I tested a third time and got 5.2. I really don't know what to make of this. If I had enough strips (and fingers) could I repeat every test and get a significantly different result? And if so, is there really any point in testing at all?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had this happen too and it's really frustrating, and expensive if you're self-funding the test strips ! People on this forum will say that testing is only an indicator and not to worry about it - but it's really annoying when it happens, especially if, like me, you are still getting the old BS under control rather than 'maintain'. I think (without any scientific knowledge at all !) that it happens when there are rapid changes going on for some reason, maybe the exercise? If it happens I either stop testing, or I take a decent average. Best thing to do if you can is to just wait and maybe test again a couple of hours later and see if everything's calmed down, it usually has for me and then I can get a more 'accurate' result.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
On sunday I tested 5.1 two hours after eating. I then exercised quite vigorously despite feeling unenergetic. I then tested three hours after the previous test 6.8. I re-tested and got 5.5, then following Kristin's example I tested a third time and got 5.2. I really don't know what to make of this. If I had enough strips (and fingers) could I repeat every test and get a significantly different result? And if so, is there really any point in testing at all?
@Alexandra100 I found this to happen in the past - meters cannot re-adjust themselves to immediate re-testing. Never test less than one hour apart unless of course you are in an emergency situation.

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should wait at least 1 hour after exercise before testing. I find that after a 5Km run that my Bg is down on the pre run test if a wait an hour rather than do it immediately post exercise

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 I found this to happen in the past - meters cannot re-adjust themselves to immediate re-testing. Never test less than one hour apart unless of course you are in an emergency situation.
I am not sure what you mean by waiting an hour for the meter to adjust itself? When you turn the meter on it checks the battery etc and then when you insert the strip it carries out some corrections and bleeps when it is ready. If you insert another strip it will do it again, no need to wait.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should wait at least 1 hour after exercise before testing. I find that after a 5Km run that my Bg is down on the pre run test if a wait an hour rather than do it immediately post exercise
I thought it would be a good idea to know whether exercise raises my BG immeditely AND/OR after 1 hour. I recently got a shock when I tested after an hour's weight training and got a higher result than before I started. I then did 10 minutes on the stair climber and tested again, getting a much lower number. I theorised that perhaps weight training raises my BG but aerobic exercise straight after saves the situation, but of course I need to run the whole thing again, the numbers may have been just a fluke.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had this happen too and it's really frustrating, and expensive if you're self-funding the test strips ! People on this forum will say that testing is only an indicator and not to worry about it - but it's really annoying when it happens, especially if, like me, you are still getting the old BS under control rather than 'maintain'. I think (without any scientific knowledge at all !) that it happens when there are rapid changes going on for some reason, maybe the exercise? If it happens I either stop testing, or I take a decent average. Best thing to do if you can is to just wait and maybe test again a couple of hours later and see if everything's calmed down, it usually has for me and then I can get a more 'accurate' result.
Yes, but it won't be an accurate post prandial result because that moment has passed. But you're right, I need to calm down and not expect too much of my meter. It occurs to me that I should treat it like my Fitbit and my Garmin GPS watch. I know fine well they are not totally accurate, especially the Fitbit, despite the fact that they cost a whole lot more than my TEE2! However I choose to ignore that fact and let myself be passionately motivated by the stats they give me. I did notice that when one day I ran out of strips, my strictness over my diet immediately faltered. I need someone's eye on my carb intake and other healthy behaviours - TEE2, Garmin, Fitbit, Diabetes.UK Forum, God ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 I know exactly what you mean. I test 6 plus times a day, and have been doing so for well over 3 years, even though my BS normalised a long time ago. It is my motivation to stay firmly on track. It would spoil my graphs, so I continue to test. When I know I can't test I do get tempted to veer off track, so I continue to test.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 I know exactly what you mean. I test 6 plus times a day, and have been doing so for well over 3 years, even though my BS normalised a long time ago. It is my motivation to stay firmly on track. It would spoil my graphs, so I continue to test. When I know I can't test I do get tempted to veer off track, so I continue to test.
Oh Bluetit, we are soul sisters!!! "Spoil your graphs" indeed! A much worse threat than all that remote stuff about amputations, blindness etc etc

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi 5s @Bluetit1802 and @Alexandra100! I love charting my readings and carb counts on my Excel spread sheets and apps. it keeps me disciplined. After four months of testing 8 x per day, I stopped doing both when I wake up and a pre-breakfast reading as I've learnt I need to eat as soon as I wake or my sugar rises, so waking and pre-breakfast are the same time now! I just recently plucked up the courage to stop testing pre and post lunch, mainly because I eat the same four or five low carb lunches which I know don't affect my blood sugars hugely! I still test five times a day though and I think that's where I'll stay :happy:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I am not sure what you mean by waiting an hour for the meter to adjust itself? When you turn the meter on it checks the battery etc and then when you insert the strip it carries out some corrections and bleeps when it is ready. If you insert another strip it will do it again, no need to wait.
Oh dear - you must have a different meter to the rest of us - accurate to 1mml/1000??

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - you must have a different meter to the rest of us - accurate to 1mml/1000??
I don't understand what you mean by that. I didn't make any reference to accuracy only to the fact that the meter doesn't need to take an hour to "adjust itself".

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I don't understand what you mean by that. I didn't make any reference to accuracy only to the fact that the meter doesn't need to take an hour to "adjust itself".
I have been on this Forum many years and one of the most complained about topics is blood strip readings consecutively at odds with the reading immediately before it - one conclusion - the meter is not capable of repeating the same reading within moments -get the point now Q.E.D.? Btw I am a friendly guy and am not
trying to be offensive.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on this Forum many years and one of the most complained about topics is blood strip readings consecutively at odds with the reading immediately before it - one conclusion - the meter is not capable of repeating the same reading within moments -get the point now Q.E.D.?
Why do people automatically assume a meter is at fault because consecutive readings often differ? Apart from the fact that meters can only be expected to be accurate within a given percentage anyway, another (and to me quite logical) reason for different readings is that as our blood circulates, so does the amount of glucose in it, which suggests that each time we test, we'll probably get a different amount of glucose in the blood on the strip. Certainly it's sensible to wash hands and retest if you get a seriously unexpected result, but otherwise, I think we have to simply accept that small differences are due to glucose levels changing all the time...

Robbity

Reactions: charliebarker

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do people automatically assume a meter is at fault because consecutive readings often differ? Apart from the fact that meters can only be expected to be accurate within a given percentage anyway, another (and to me quite logical) reason for different readings is that as our blood circulates, so does the amount of glucose in it, which suggests that each time we test, we'll probably get a different amount of glucose in the blood on the strip. Certainly it's sensible to wash hands and retest if you get a seriously unexpected result, but otherwise, I think we have to simply accept that small differences are due to glucose levels changing all the time...

Robbity

Agreed. Our blood circulates as fast as greased lightening, so in seconds the bits round the drop we put on the strips has long gone. Each haemoglobin cell has a different amount of glucose attached to it - some of these cells are brand newly manufactured, some are months old. So even using blood from the same prick for consecutive readings will deliver different readings.

Dkimbleey

I have just received a tee2 meter, first test showed 19! Used my old machine it was under 10. I tested again later when I knew my levels were low and the nee machine said 7, my old one 3.9. This is very dangerous for the machine to be so inaccurate.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just received a tee2 meter, first test showed 19! Used my old machine it was under 10. I tested again later when I knew my levels were low and the nee machine said 7, my old one 3.9. This is very dangerous for the machine to be so inaccurate.

All meters have to work within a defined range of accuracy. This looks more like you’ve got a defective meter rather than one being more accurate than the other. Have you tried asking for a replacement?

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They will also send you free testing solution to check the meter.

iswarduth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a brand new TEE2 glucometer

Blood glucose reading is too high.
Used to be around 7.
Now it is 16 to 20..
I am feeling normal as always
Scared to eat.
Causing stress .
My diabetic nurse gave it to me .
Any suggestions
Iswarduth

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Got a brand new TEE2 glucometer

Blood glucose reading is too high.
Used to be around 7.
Now it is 16 to 20..
I am feeling normal as always
Scared to eat.
Causing stress .
My diabetic nurse gave it to me .
Any suggestions
Iswarduth

Hi @iswarduth and welcome to the forums.

Hmm, Have you got any urine testing strips? If your bg is really 16-20 then you'll be passing sugar in your urine. Are the readings of 7 on the old meter? Can you compare the two meters? While it is possible that your readings have increased over time, meters can be faulty...

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp