emmaloxise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a type 1 diabetic and have been since I was 3 ans I am now 21. I just want to know a few things from other people's experiences.

I am usually feeling unwell, very tired and worn down. Trying to explain this to someone who isn't diabetic or doesn't feel like this I find difficult as people just think I'm being moody and irritable. I have tried to tell people I am diabetic but it doesn't help. I am not trying to use this condition as an excuse, but I'm being made to feel like a terrible person because I can't help my mood swings sometimes.

I also want to know if having depression can effect having diabeties?

The last thing is, my blood sugars are constantly in the mid teens to low twenties which I can normally deal with, but as soon as my blood goes under 8 I feel like it's classed as a hypo because I am shaking, feel weak. I just want to know if this is normal or whether I should be worried? Thank you everyone in advance.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @emmaloxise
Totally normal. Running high will make you tired and irritable.
Your body gets used to the highs and coming towards normal levels gives you a false hypo. The more time at normal levels the less this happens and the better you will feel.
Diabetes and depression are linked too.

Reactions: pavlosn

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @emmaloxise,

I can relate to your post, you aren't alone. I don't think people without diabetes will ever understand but the best people will try! If you get the opportunity, try to explain your symptoms to friends/family. I also find it frustrating when recovering from a low... probably my own fault as I say I'm "ok" but obviously not ok as in back to 100%.

You shouldn't be made to feel like a terrible person.

I'd suggest your feeling unwell/tense/irritable because you are running high. If you can work on lowering your levels you will feel better and your hypo symptoms will adjust accordingly.

Diabetes and depression or anxiety isn't uncommon.

I hope this helps

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am usually feeling unwell, very tired and worn down.

my blood sugars are constantly in the mid teens to low twenties

Emma, there's your answer right there in the above two quotes from your post.

You've been T1 for a long time, so I'm not going to try to teach you how to suck eggs here, but if you're running in the 15 to 20s constantly, it strongly suggests that you're tired because, sure, you've got lots of glucose in you, but, without enough insulin in you, none of that glucose can get into your body cells to actually be used as energy.

It's a bit like a car with a blocked fuel pipe - full of fuel, but none of it can be used as energy. Insulin lets glucose into cells to be used as energy. If there's not enough insulin there, the glucose will just pile up, leading to the 15 to 20s, and none of it will be used to power your energy needs, leading to your tiredness.

15 to 20 for long periods is insanely high and will cause long term complications, and tiredness. Many youths live with it for a while and then it catches up - not saying that to scare you, just a note to say be careful out there...

My guess is that you're eating x carbs and just not taking enough insulin for it. How to arrive at the right amount of insulin, that's another question. Your hospital might think, aye, she's been doing this for a while, she's ok, but, seriously, ask them about getting on the waiting list for a DAFNE course.

Reactions: GrantGam

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry I've just answered your other post about whether your overweight or not.
I am addressing my uncontrolled bgs first which seems to be helping me lose weight too.
Only once on the correct amount of insulin does your body work properly.
Concentrate on improving your diabetes control then you'll regain the energy for slimming, if you still want or need to.
I'm confident you will hugely improve your control.
I'll tag @catapillar for some great type1 advice.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @emmaloxise
welcome to the forum.:)

everything you describe in your post above is pretty normal.

being Type 1 and dealing with that over a long period as you have can certainly be a contributing factor in depression.

I would suggest you ring your DSN ( diabetic nurse) and ask if she can offer some support.
Also speak with your GP and ask for some support.

You should not have to face this on your own -- and luckily you have found us -- there are lots of us that have had issues over the years.

I am tagging the lovely @Snapsy to come along and say Hi !!( and offer some support )

do keep posting with us - we all understand
xx

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@emmaloxise you are not alone, and so, so many people on here share much of your experience.

It's late and I've just popped on here before I go to sleep so won't reply in full right now - but please accept a raft of hugs to tide you over.

I'll be back tomorrow, but in the meantime can I link you to this post in a thread that my mate @himtoo started last year? I think it might give you some tips in getting other people to comprehend what life is like for you, me and other type 1s out there. We are all different but have many experiences in common.

explaining what it's really like to live with Type 1

Hugs.

Love Snapsy
:)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am usually feeling unwell, very tired and worn down.

Being diabetic doesn't make you feel like this. I don't think your problem is diabetes. I think your problem is poorly controlled diabetes.

I also want to know if having depression can effect having diabeties?

If you have depression and that is impacting on your ability to take steps to control your diabetes or your ability to face your diabetes that can certainly have an impact. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the impact that poorly controlled diabetes can have on your depression. It is well recognised that high blood sugars can impact on mood, your ability to focus and motivate. Controlling your blood sugars may assist with your depression.

The last thing is, my blood sugars are constantly in the mid teens to low twenties which I can normally deal with, but as soon as my blood goes under 8 I feel like it's classed as a hypo because I am shaking, feel weak. I just want to know if this is normal or whether I should be worried? Thank you everyone in advance.

So the fact that your blood sugars ar constantly in double figures does suggest you have poorly controlled diabetes. The targets for type 1s is to have blood sugar 4-9. Teens and low 20s are way above those target. High blood sugars can make you feel unwell and very tired and worn down and can exacerbate depression.

If you are getting hypo symptoms at 8 that is a false hypo. Because your body is used to the high numbers it wrongly thinks it has to panic when it sees the normal numbers. This can be got over by slowly stepping down your blood sugar targets and just letting your body get used to the normal numbers.

How are you currently controlling your diabetes? What kind of support are you getting with your diabetes, do you have a DSN you can speak to for dosing advice?

If you're on a basal bolus regime you should basal test to check you are on the right basal dose, you should check you are using the right insulin to carb ratio for your meals (or get on a DAFNE course) and do some work to get your diabetes a bit more in control.

Your problem isn't diabetes, it's poorly controlled diabetes. It's the high blood sugars that are making you feel so worn down. If you can do a bit of work to get your diabetes in control you'll probably feel a lot better. Not only that but you'll be significatly reducing your risk of long term complications, which are much more likely to happen if you spend years with high blood sugars up in the 20s.