Unusually high readings...

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
Just after a bit of reassurance. My BG readings over the last couple of days have been higher than usual. I've not changed the way I eat (apart from a bit of liver,which seems to be when it started). My daily carb intake has been below 20g, all from vegetables and no bad stuff and yet my blood glucose has been in the 7s and 8s, latest 7.4 before eating my evening meal this up by 1 point from the after lunch reading. I used test solutions on my meter yesterday and the high reading was 14.4 (range 10.5 - 15.8) and low 7.9 (range 6.1 - 9.2). The low one seems OK but is the high OK? Could it be a problem with the test strips or do I need to be concerned?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just after a bit of reassurance. My BG readings over the last couple of days have been higher than usual. I've not changed the way I eat (apart from a bit of liver,which seems to be when it started). My daily carb intake has been below 20g, all from vegetables and no bad stuff and yet my blood glucose has been in the 7s and 8s, latest 7.4 before eating my evening meal this up by 1 point from the after lunch reading. I used test solutions on my meter yesterday and the high reading was 14.4 (range 10.5 - 15.8) and low 7.9 (range 6.1 - 9.2). The low one seems OK but is the high OK? Could it be a problem with the test strips or do I need to be concerned?
Do you have a spare meter and strips to make comparison @LindsayJane?

Reactions: 1spuds

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you have a spare meter and strips to make comparison @LindsayJane?
Just run out of strips, unfortunately.
Edit to advise I've orderd some more strips for my spare meter - coming on 26 April.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did the rise coincide with a new tub of strips? Were the strips left in the sun during the recent hot weather. Maybe you’re brewing a cold or have you been under more stress lately? Have you been sleeping as well as usual? So many things affect readings it’s not always obvious why. I find my averages wax and wane all the time for no apparent reason.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to ask about trying another tub of strips.
Similar things happen to me, get unusual high readings, do you think you've had a liver dump? What was your reading after your evening meal?

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Did the rise coincide with a new tub of strips? Were the strips left in the sun during the recent hot weather. Maybe you’re brewing a cold or have you been under more stress lately? Have you been sleeping as well as usual? So many things affect readings it’s not always obvious why. I find my averages wax and wane all the time for no apparent reason.
I have another unopened tube of strips for this meter - I'll try them postprandial and see if there's a difference. It could be stress I suppose - my daughter and I have just made a life changing decision about which I am rather exited and I have unfinished pieces that I must get ready for 3 different exhibitions over the next couple of months. I'm hoping it's the strips though. I can't see any reason why my reading should be so high. Thank you for your input x

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Similar things happen to me, get unusual high readings, do you think you've had a liver dump? What was your reading after your evening meal?
I haven't taken it yet - It's not due for another hour. I'm a bit nervous of doing it TBH.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just done the reading - 7.4 with a strip from the new tub, 7.5 from the old one. 7.4 is exactly the same as pre-prandial reading. Odd.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just done the reading - 7.4 with a strip from the new tub, 7.5 from the old one. 7.4 is exactly the same as pre-prandial reading. Odd.
Sounds to me like you've had a liver dump (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) which will explain the unusually high pre-prandial. I get readings like that post- prandial after a dump sometimes I get a lower reading post than it was pre after a dump.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That is good, not odd. It shows your meal has not caused a problem and your body has brought you back to where you started, which is what we all aim for. You just started high, that's all - so nothing odd about your post prandial at all.

See what tomorrow brings.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sounds to me like you've had a liver dump (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) which will explain the unusually high pre-prandial. I get readings like that post- prandial after a dump sometimes I get a lower reading post than it was pre after a dump.
When I took the high reading I'd just got home from my allotment. It's at the bottom of a steep hill and I did march up it rather quickly - perhaps that could have caused my liver to be over-helpful? I'm going to forget it now and wait and see what happens tomorrow - thank you for your input x

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is good, not odd. It shows your meal has not caused a problem and your body has brought you back to where you started, which is what we all aim for. You just started high, that's all - so nothing odd about your post prandial at all.

See what tomorrow brings.
Tomorrow is another day :cat: Thank you for your input - I'm still a learner about T2 and everyone else's wisdom is always appreciated x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Test strips and meters rarely lie. If the problem continues and you are slim then late onset T1 becomes a possibility. I'm not saying that is true in your case but it remains a possibility if you are slim and have lost weight unexpectedly so bear it in mind.

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. Test strips and meters rarely lie. If the problem continues and you are slim then late onset T1 becomes a possibility. I'm not saying that is true in your case but it remains a possibility if you are slim and have lost weight unexpectedly so bear it in mind.
I have lost weight but not unexpectedly. I don't think it's that but I shall bear it in mind. Thank you for your input x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vigorous exercise such as marching up a hill would raise my blood sugar, maybe that’s your answer?

LindsayJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Vigorous exercise such as marching up a hill would raise my blood sugar, maybe that’s your answer?
I think it could be. I've been doing a lot in the allotment over the past few days and treating the hill as a bit of a workout! I'll treat myself to a more sedentary day tomorrow and seewhat happens :cat: