Update on A1c but not sure if all is good

Donaldfr

Hi

So I got my a1c done and its fallen from 114 or 113 to 51 in 4 months. I am happy but not sure if this was enough. I am only doing diet and exercise and my carbs come from a salad and some cauli rice, i am walking about anywhere between 3 and 6 miles depending on time, i have lost nearly 10 kilos and now at 77kilos bmi close to getting in healthy weight. My readings have been between 5.7 and 7.1 fasting or after meals.

Should i be worried that even after doing everything right or so i think, A1C is still in diabetic range or will it go down further in some more time. Did i do the test too soon in 4 months. I continue to do 4 miles of walk everyday on treadmill now that its dark outside by the time i come back.

Anything else i could do to help myself?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My readings have been between 5.7 and 7.1 fasting or after meals.

It sounds like you're in normal range, how long have you been like that? As the hba1c measures the last 3 months then it could still be influenced by your levels before they improved so much.

Congratulations on a very impressive result.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

So I got my a1c done and its fallen from 114 or 113 to 51 in 4 months. I am happy but not sure if this was enough. I am only doing diet and exercise and my carbs come from a salad and some cauli rice, i am walking about anywhere between 3 and 6 miles depending on time, i have lost nearly 10 kilos and now at 77kilos bmi close to getting in healthy weight. My readings have been between 5.7 and 7.1 fasting or after meals.

Should i be worried that even after doing everything right or so i think, A1C is still in diabetic range or will it go down further in some more time. Did i do the test too soon in 4 months. I continue to do 4 miles of walk everyday on treadmill now that its dark outside by the time i come back.

All sounds amazing to me
It takes time and your drop is fantastic. Keepinf up with what you are doing could see your a1c drop to below diabetic levels, but regardless 51 is very close already, and from such a high initial level is outstanding. remember it averages 3 months so you've seen the impact already but not in totality. Hopefully it improves a bit more

Really, be proud of yourself, amazing result! Marathon not a sprint etc....

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Odds are it'll drop further as you go, as it's still relatively early days. That said, it IS a massive drop and you are indeed to be congratulated! Well done, and keep it up! (Or levels down, as the case may be).

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did i do the test too soon in 4 months. I continue to do 4 miles of walk everyday on treadmill now that its dark outside by the time i come back.

You've already done it, give yourself a pat on the back.
Remember you wouldn't have dropped from 114 to 51 overnight.
There would have been a slow tapering down day by day.
So your 51 is polluted with weeks of higher averages.

Everything is on track for a non-diabetic A1c next time.

Reactions: Donaldfr

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow you are a superstar in my eyes. If you are like me when colder months come I don’t always want salad so don’t forget broccoli, cabbage, any green veg with butter added and seasoning. Celeriac mashed is great on top of Shepherds or Fish pies. I would put my money on you being under 40 at next A1c. Its lovely to hear and so so encouraging for people starting out to read.

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Keep losing weight and your Hba1c will probably drop too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that my blood glucose and Hba1c do not match up or interlink as they should.
I reduced my intake of carbs from a maximum of 50 gm to 40 gm daily to try to get my Hba1c down from 42 - it remained at 42. However, my after meal levels were reduced so I stuck with the 40 gm a day. I do feel a lot better these days.

Donaldfr

Hi

Just another update really of what has happened since.

I hesitantly asked my gp for support on a vlcd and strangely he said you might fit the bill and sent my name to check if i was eligible. They came back and said you are.

so i started 2 weeks ago but hitting a major issue in the fact that i absolutely hate shakes with passion, so much so that i am only having low starch veggies and thats pretty much that. I know i cant continue with this as i only have one portion of veggies in a day and 2 on weekends and desperately trying to find an alternative to the shakes. I think optifast is not available here in uk.
I have lost 6 kgs and 8cms till now. I dont know if this is good enough but i read you need to loose 15 percent of total weight which will get me into a healthy bmi. I am still 9 kilos away from hitting 15 percent.

Thanks for reading my post.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks again.

Lakeslover

Hi, I don’t know what brand of shakes you are using. There is a company called exante which as well as shakes does soups, and pancake mixes in 200 calorie packs.

at the moment the daily mail is serialising Michael Moseleys 800 cal keto diet. If you don’t mind cooking you could look at that.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooking for yourself using any of the 800 calorie a day recipes should help.
I can't stand those kind of shakes either, so try to add in grilled chicken or fish. Eggs are good and super quick and easy

Pinkmadmoo

you can get optifast in the uk. Just Google search it and you can order online

Hi

Just another update really of what has happened since.

I hesitantly asked my gp for support on a vlcd and strangely he said you might fit the bill and sent my name to check if i was eligible. They came back and said you are.

so i started 2 weeks ago but hitting a major issue in the fact that i absolutely hate shakes with passion, so much so that i am only having low starch veggies and thats pretty much that. I know i cant continue with this as i only have one portion of veggies in a day and 2 on weekends and desperately trying to find an alternative to the shakes. I think optifast is not available here in uk.
I have lost 6 kgs and 8cms till now. I dont know if this is good enough but i read you need to loose 15 percent of total weight which will get me into a healthy bmi. I am still 9 kilos away from hitting 15 percent.

Thanks for reading my post.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks again.