Upgrade for Insulin Pump????

Mandy30

Hello....I'm a bit of a newbie to this forum, but I hope someone could help me? :?

I have been a diabetic now for 31 years and decided in 2007 that I should be moved on to the insulin pump for better control (my A1C was at 10 before using the pump now its 8, so its working slowly but surley! :D )

But I have bben reserching the new "Veo" pump and it sounds like I could possibly benefit from this one...only trouble is I cant find any information about upgrading my current pump - someone once told me that you have to be on the pump 4 years before they will allow you to qualify for a upgrade?! and would I have to pay anything?...Please can someone help me..very confused :(

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi mandy30, see you found your way here, will bump up this post and hope someone comes along soon to help you. Anna.x :)

Unicornz

Hi Mandy

Did you get your pump from your DSN? If so, have you spoken to her about the possibility to upgrade? I know my hospital only fund one type of pump (which happens to be the Medtronic Veo) so for me I wouldn't be able to upgrade to, say, an Omnipod or the like.

If your hospital do fund other types of pumps then I'm sure your DSN will be able to tell you more about how to find an upgrade for yours :) hope this helps!

jopar

If you had your pump in 2007 you should see your DSN, as it should will be due for replacement at the end of the 4 year warrenty period... This is common practice as the companies do not support repair etc after this point!

You can under the NICE guidelines choose which pump you want, the pct can't say you can only have this or one of these, if a pump is licenced for sale in the UK, you can choose it might have to battle with the diabetic team over this though but it's your right under the NICE guidelines..

Not sure what pump you have at present or the reason why you've choosen the Veo, but if part of your choice is based on it's intergrated CGM ability, this part of the set up isn't provided as part of the package provided/funded by the PCT... You either have to purchase the necessary reciever/transmitter (separate unit) and fund the sensor yourself..

CGM's are not covered by NICE guidelines, so if you feel that you would benefit/require one but need funding then you would have to apply to the Special Case Committe (I think that what it's called) at your PCT to see if you have a strong enough case to warrant funding...

Mandy30

Thank you very much for your help! its gratley appreciated :)

I just thought I would reserch this myself as when I approach the subject with my DSN they keep saying they will look into it and get back to me!
But your reply helps me a lot, Thanks again :D