Urgent Help Please

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please advise.
Trying to test my FBG for the first time and my new meter - SD Codefree is coming up Error 2 every time.
I have read and reread the instructions and used several test strips. Also tried the control strip, which says the machine is OK.

Can't work out what I'm doing wrong as I'm following instructions to the letter.
Holding the tip of the test strip onto my finger, but as soon as the blood hits the strip, the machine bleeps and comes up E2.

I'm desperate to have my breakfast, so if I can't sort this, I'll have to leave this until tomorrow.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read that in the book, but the second the blood hits the test strip, the machine beeps and comes up E2

C

catherinecherub

Are you putting the test strip in the machine before you collect the blood onto it?

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, and using immediately.
It says that blood will be drawn up the little window in the test strip, but as soon as blood touches strip, it beeps E2

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use that meter, but one of my meters sounds a similar alarm on occasion and I found it seems to be related to dodgy test strips. I've had to try 4 or 5 before one works.

I don't know if that helps, but it might be something to try if nothing else works. Coukd you open a new box of strips and try one of those maybe?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've also found that if I've used something like hand cream recently, although I get a normal size blob of blood appear on my finger, the consistency of it must be different as my meter doesn't draw it up properly and so sounds a 'not enough blood' alert.

You could try washing and rinsing your hands again perhaps.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've also found that if I've used something like hand cream recently, although I get a normal size blob of blood appear on my finger, the consistency of it must be different as my meter doesn't draw it up properly and so sounds a 'not enough blood' alert.

You could try washing and rinsing your hands again perhaps.
Thank you so much.
Washed my hands again and opened a new box of strips and managed to get it to work.
Not happy with the reading though - 8.8 and all I've had is a cup of tea!

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Some of that could be the stress of getting it to work!

But yes, absolutely clean and dry fingers is essential.

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much.
Washed my hands again and opened a new box of strips and managed to get it to work.
Not happy with the reading though - 8.8 and all I've had is a cup of tea!

So pleased you got it to work! It's very frustrating when a meter plays up like that. They can be temperamental little things!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It does sound like those strips or the meter are a bit fussy. My meter(s) will play ball with a cold/warm slightly damp finger etc.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. It does sound like those strips or the meter are a bit fussy. My meter(s) will play ball with a cold/warm slightly damp finger etc.
I think the pot with 10 strips that came with the meter may have been faulty.
Only have a couple left, so when I'm more experienced, I'll go back and try them again I think.
May also have been because I had just had a shower, although I had washed my hands again before testing.
Bit of a mystery really.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like @learning2me is sorted out now, so our tale is a bit late, but it might help someone else. First attempts at testing, we struggled and struggled. Tempers became frayed, there were drips of blood everywhere. Constant error messages. Discarded test strips all over the place. And what caused it? "Brains", the diabetic nurse had prescribed the wrong strips to go with the meter!
Sally

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL - if I hadn't bought them all together I might have thought the same!