US Visa (ESTA) health declaration for Type 1?

Vigman

Hi

What is the correct response (Yes/No) to the US Visa (ESTA) health declaration for Type 1 diabetics. (They do have a physical disorder BUT does this affect their behaviour which then endangers themselves)??

I need to know asap, please

Vigman

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check with the consular website
Hana

Vigman

hanadr said:
Check with the consular website
Hana

Tried to call the US Embassy but closed until Monday!! No other info found on Google, but some of you Type 1s must have applied for US Estas??

Thanks

Vigman

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Vigman said:
Hi

What is the correct response (Yes/No) to the US Visa (ESTA) health declaration for Type 1 diabetics. (They do have a physical disorder BUT does this affect their behaviour which then endangers themselves)??

I need to know asap, please

Vigman

I am afraid this is a question only YOU can answer. It is YOUR declaration.

Can you truthfully say that you are a well controlled Diabetic who has suffered no disabling hypos ?
Have you had disabling hypos which have affected your behaviour in some way.

Whatever answer you got from here could be false and not the correct answer. Sorry. :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I found this if it's really urgent;
Emergencies

Twenty-four hour assistance is available for genuine emergencies at [44] (20) 7499 9000.
Hana

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hana, can you tell us where that phone number relates to?
I do not think that filling in a form constitutes a genuine emergency.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
From ESTA - the Official U.S. Government Web Site to help you decide what your answer should be read and work through the following:
Physical or Mental Disorders

With regard to physical or mental disorders, answer ”Yes” to this question if:

(a) You currently have a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or

(b) You had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others and the behavior is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior.

Answer ”No” if:

(a) You currently have no physical or mental disorders; or

(b) You have or had a physical or mental disorder without associated behavior that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare of that of others; or

(c) You currently have a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior, but that behavior has not posed, does not currently pose nor will pose a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or

(d) You had a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior that posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others, but that behavior is unlikely to recur.

This information is from the websites HELP section. Here is a link.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/E ... 1.htm#What information do I need to complete the application?

Vigman

cugila said:
From ESTA - the Official U.S. Government Web Site to help you decide what your answer should be read and work through the following:
Physical or Mental Disorders

With regard to physical or mental disorders, answer ”Yes” to this question if:

(a) You currently have a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or

(b) You had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder that has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others and the behavior is likely to recur or lead to other harmful behavior.

Answer ”No” if:

(a) You currently have no physical or mental disorders; or

(b) You have or had a physical or mental disorder without associated behavior that may pose or has posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare of that of others; or

(c) You currently have a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior, but that behavior has not posed, does not currently pose nor will pose a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others; or

(d) You had a physical or mental disorder with associated behavior that posed a threat to your property, safety or welfare or that of others, but that behavior is unlikely to recur.

This information is from the websites HELP section. Here is a link.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm#What information do I need to complete the application?

Exactly, so how should Type 1s answer this, please?????

cugila

Master
Dislikes
As stated, truthfully. You are the ONLY person who knows the facts. :?

Vigman

cugila said:

Interesting reply. (It's actually for my 18 year old daughter), but I would have thought there would be a generic answer to this for type 1 diabetics?

We'll obviosuly take out special travel insurance, but have any type 1s completed this form recently, and what have you answered to this question, please?

Vigman

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Vigman said:
cugila said:

Interesting reply. (It's actually for my 18 year old daughter), but I would have thought there would be a generic answer to this for type 1 diabetics?

We'll obviosuly take out special travel insurance, but have any type 1s completed this form recently, and what have you answered to this question, please?

Vigman

First of all there is NO generic answer to a form that you or your daughter personally have to fill in.
It makes no difference whether they are type 1, 2, 1.5, or anything else.

As stated the form has to be read and completed truthfuly by the applicant, not by putting in an answer that may apply to somebody else. It doesn't work that way.

Here is the section with the terms and conditions which apply to any ESTA application. It is well to read it.

All information provided by you, or on your behalf by a designated third party, must be true and correct. An electronic travel authorization may be revoked at any time and for any reason, such as new information influencing eligibility. You may be subject to administrative or criminal penalties if you knowingly and willfully make a materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation in an electronic travel authorization application submitted by you or on your behalf.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I always answer "No" to this question (5 times this year), as I recall from my conversation with the US Embassy years ago, they're looking to highlight mental illness more than physical. But as stated by cugila it is YOUR (or your daughter's) declaration, so you're probably best contacting them yourself, details at the following:

/www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/operator_assistance.html

Although the phone call will cost you £1.20 a minute, which is just outrageous!

Katharine

Steven, my son who has type one diabetes came with us to the USA this year. We put down "NO" on the form. The reason was that they seemed to want to screen out undesirables from entering the country rather than straight forward tourists. As the whole family was travelling together we were always going to be there if there was a hypo and we could deal with it.

If you are travelling ALONE to the USA and are on insulin you may wish to take further advice from the USA officials directly. It will delay your visa so don't leave it too late before your travel date.

Vigman

Thanks everyone........hearing that any type 1s have answered 'no' is really all I needed. I wasn't after misleading anyone but could see the question being answered both ways!

Vigman