1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Usage and effects of Metaformin tablet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by biren1973, Oct 8, 2017.

1. biren1973

biren1973 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi

I am a type 2 diabetes, diagnosed 3 months back and hence on one Metaformin tablet for once a day. I take metaformin in the night after food. As my medicine was finished in past 4 days, I m not taking them for past 4 days.

Surprisingly my bg doesn't increase much except one night where I had dinner at restaurant. But otherwise it's usually stays around 6.5 , 2 hours after food.

But today I checked my bg 3 hours after food and it was 5. So I m just wondering if metaformin has ever worked for me? Any suggestions?

Regards

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Metformin has only a slight effect on blood glucose levels. It is prescribed as a mild appetite suppressant, to lower risk to the organs and to lower the impact of liver dumps. Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It seems to have different effects on different people. Some might say that it doesn't have any effect until you take 2gms a day (probably 2 x 500mg, twice a day). In the early days after my diagnosis that was very effective in controlling my BG but I think I can safely say that following the old carb advice 20 years ago meant that I eventually had to have other meds.

For me the worst was Rosiglitazone, no longer available in the UK, because it badly affects liver function. As mentioned in another thread, Metformin has an accumulative affect and you may notice a deterioration of BG over a period of time if you stop all together. Perhaps lowering your carbs has had the desired effect and so long as you keep to low carb you might safely be able to forget about Metformin. There's no hard and fast rule, you have to try it and see. Our personal experiences are all very different.

4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Metformin normally only has a small effect on blood sugar. It is commonly prescribed but GPs appear to assume it has more effect on blood sugar than it actually does have. It does, however, reduce appetite, liver's glucose output and I understand insulin resistance - all just a bit so worth taking anyway. I take it with my insulin and it reduces my 24 hr insulin needs by just one unit in 15 but I look for the other benefits.

5. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I only take one 500g SR Metformin tablet a day any more than that and my appetite completely disappears. My doctor says even a very low dose is better than none at all

6. Ajax

Ajax Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My HbA1c ✻marker✻ seems to me to be a function of Metformin ..and my diet and exercise routines too.

It is a ✻triangle✻ that works for me.

I don't understand diabetes mechanisms, though.

7. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Metformin has a very small effect on blood sugar levels. A low carb diet has a much bigger effect. My blood sugars have continued to come down as I reduced metformin from twice to once a day and from once to none a day. Metformin did have some negative side effects for me including neuropathy with pins and needles in my hands and memory loss.

8. Redrav

Redrav Type 2 · Active Member

You seem to have your bs under control. Well done. I suggest you try to get off medication. Start exercising more and follow the low carb high fat diet. It's working for me! I am totally off medication.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook