Useful info for 780G users

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just found out a little bit of information about the automode feature on the Medtronic 780G & it’s certainly something I wasn’t told from Medtronic UK. So I’ve been speaking to a guy from the Netherlands on the Medtronic pump users Facebook page, and what he’s being told from his Netherlands based Medtronic trainer is when you eat anything high in carbs beginning with the letter ‘P’ like pasta + pizza to only bolus for 70% of the carbs. You then let automode give correction bolus for the remaining 30%.

It does kind of make sense to me, a number of times if I’ve ate a pizza I’ll usually go hypo just after but then gradually raise through the night and wake up to high numbers. I’m guessing the 70% bolus will stop the hypo, I’m just not 100% sure if I trust automode to cover the other 30% but I’ll certainly give it a go.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Maco When you say automode is that the extended bolus automode ? or does it correct if you go high ?

If I wanted to do a pizza then i'd set my pump up to do an extended bolus and deliver the extra bolus 2 hours later, however I wouldn't let my pump auto correct as i'd already be running above 11 mmol/l at that point and at night time it would take till early am to get back into range again.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Maco When you say automode is that the extended bolus automode ? or does it correct if you go high ?

If I wanted to do a pizza then i'd set my pump up to do an extended bolus and deliver the extra bolus 2 hours later, however I wouldn't let my pump auto correct as i'd already be running above 11 mmol/l at that point and at night time it would take till early am to get back into range again.

Hi @Juicyj, its the automate feature that corrects when you go high on the 780G. Extended dual & square wave bolus aren't available when in Smartguard (automode) on the 780g.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know on my 670g its automode most certainly cannot cope with that extra amount later for me, so I have to split bolus - which means remembering, since as you say dual/square bolus is disabled in automode on the medtronic machines.

Edit, I do realise however that the 780g is supposedly more intelligent than the 670g and it may also depend on what your carb ratio is
(another edit for typos, d'oh)

Last edited:

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know on my 670g its automode most certainly cannot cope with that extra amount later for me, so I have to split bolus - which means remembering, since as you say dual/square bolus is disabled in automode on the medtronic machines.

Edit, I do realise however that the 780g is supposedly more intelligent than the 670g and it may also depend on what your carb ratio is
(another edit for typos, d'oh)

I’m going to give it a go this weekend, Saturday night is always a cheat meal for me. Haven’t had pizza for a while so I’ll give pizza a go with the 70% bolus and see what happens

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll have to update this thread and let us know how it goes :)

Reactions: Maco