Vegan Student - Cookbook?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I'm a pescetarian with big vegetarian leanings and have a niece who has very recently gone vegetarian. She's just told me that when she starts university later this year she's decided to go vegan.

She's an intelligent young lady, but I'm a bit concerned she doesn't have a good understanding of what it takes to be a vegan. I don't mean to sound patronising, but for instance in her vegetarian phase she doesn't realise that not all cheese is vegetarian. I'd really like to support her decision and would love to be able to buy her vegan cookbooks or the like so she can eat healthily while away from home. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm compiling a number of my own recipes which are vegan and know I can get loads more from the recipe thread and the internet, but personal recommendations for books are always the best!

Thank you (hopefully) so much for your time!

Reactions: 2 people

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Look for anything by Isa Chandra Moscowitz Some of her recipes are superb. Also looking for "But I could never go vegan" by Kristy Turner and "oh she glows" by Angela Liddon.

I would also contact the Vegan Society as they can be very supportive - DM if you can't find contact details.

Just enjoy. She (and maybe you?????) will feel so much better, cleaner and morally superior for making the decision . I jest about the latter, but honestly, she will feel great.

If you have any problems whatsoever, let me know and I'll see if I can help. I was veggie for about 23 years and then went vegan around about 2005 as a result of you g dear. Fortunately, I came across a vegan nurse who recommended dropping milk. A month later and my hearing was restored!!

There are so many options available to her, so continue with the encouragement and well done for supporting her.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @Pink_Minx I will try to answer your question from the perspective of my non-diabetic vegan uni student daughter. Her old mum has lots of cook books, but to be honest they hardly get used. It's all online now. Her favourite paper book is Deliciously Ella Every Day. Ignoring the honey recipes, it is a good, easy book. We are fans of https://foodgawker.com/post/category/vegan/ for recipe ideas. It is constantly updating. Just as we might google "low carb whatever recipe," just google "vegan whatever recipe" and she will find so many recipes with reviews.

My girl is a member of several vegan Facebook groups so gets lots of recipes and information from these including details of local events. Her uni has a vegsoc, but she isn't a member. Your niece might be interested in https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/take-vegan-pledge to receive daily emails of advice and support for her first month.

If you are looking for housewarming gadgets for her new place:

measuring cups and spoons - as many online recipes are from the States
a spiralizer - because they are great
tofu press
blender - for smoothies if she hasn't time to cook

Reactions: 2 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Welshman1952 and @Avocado Sevenfold thank you both so very much for your very helpful and considered advice. I'll look into everything you've said and I'm sure there'll be lots of useful stuff for her. I don't want to come over all "Auntie" on her, but her parents are committed carnivores who don't even approve of my diet, let alone hers! @Welshman1952 - I'm not sure I could be vegan but I do have a massive problem with how animals for food are treated, so maybe after reading up...

@Avocado Sevenfold - yes, you're right - online is the way to go - hadn't thought of that (even though I get all my recipes online! D'oh!).

I thought I might compile a "virtual book" with my tried and tested recipes as well.

The gift ideas are great as well - I have to admit I gave up on my spiralizer and just use a peeler which has teeth to create courgetti and a normal one to create "courgliatelle" (I just made up that word!). I quite fancy a tofu press, myself - I normally just wrap it in kitchen paper then put heavy pans on it. Then pick up the pans when they're crashed to the ground!

Thanks again for your help - I really do appreciate it.