Vegetarian dos and don'ts ?

Mike Sixx

Fairly new to T2 and I been wondering are the anything special vegetarian (ovo-lacto) should take into consideration ?

I guess eggs and saturated fats are bad for cholesterol. Fruits have high GI. I am pretty much living off cheese sandwishes that I switched to whole rye bread and vegetables. Sometimes with fried or boiled egg. Tons of coffee with milk (and artificial sweetener).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fairly new to T2 and I been wondering are the anything special vegetarian (ovo-lacto) should take into consideration ?

I guess eggs and saturated fats are bad for cholesterol. Fruits have high GI. I am pretty much living off cheese sandwishes that I switched to whole rye bread and vegetables. Sometimes with fried or boiled egg. Tons of coffee with milk (and artificial sweetener).
Not a vegeterian here, but just wanted to let you know eggs are perfectly fine. There is cholesterol in eggs, but what makes blood cholesterol go up isn't so much what you eat, it's what your own body produces. Do be ready for your cholesterol to go up a little as you embark on this new, diabetes-friendly way of eating: there's a lot of it stored, and as you start losing weight -and you will- it'll pop up in your bloodstream on its way out. So it'll go up for a bit, but not because you're eating it. You're shedding what was already there. Which is a particularly good thing. After a while it'll stabilise and actually go down. I haven't touched a statin in 3 years, cholesterol's fine, and I have something like 15 eggs per week. (Or 20...). Not the only one here either. So have as many as you like.

Things you can eat without a spike: Above ground veggies/leafy greens, (preferably little to no pulses, but you'll have to check with your meter whether you respond badly to them. Some do, some don't), eggs, full fat greek yoghurt, proper butter, cheese, nuts, olives, extra dark chocolate, berries (In moderation and preferably with something fatty like cream or clotted cream), tomatoes, cream, (always everything full fat!). Careful with the artificial sweetener. You mention using tons of the stuff, but that's what I did (5 little pills per tea or espresso, plus diet coke), and that killed off my gutbacteria. Took an article I read on here to figure out why I was in such a bad way, and a full year on, I still haven't quite healed. My bacteria are fine now, yay for supplements and sauerkraut, but the physical damage to my intestinal tract... It's still a mess. So don't go overboard with the stuff. Don't worry about saturated fats too much for the moment, as long as you avoid trans fats you're all good. Fats slow down the uptake of any carbs you do eat, so that's fine. Butter's alright. (So is avocado, nuts and the like.). It's a lot to take itn and with dietary restrictions especially, but you'll get there. This might also help, but it wasn't written with vegetarians/vegans in mind, so do ignore the bits where I mention food with faces. (Sorry). https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ and this may be of assistance as well: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian

Good luck! And enjoy your eggs! :)

Jo

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As a non meat eater I would suggest lots of stir fries (just veg and tofu no need for noodles), tofu scramble, eggs anyway you like, curries (cauliflower rice or just curry), lower carb meat replacement products, salads...

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat lots of veggie food although im not veggie.

veggie curries and stir fries, soups and stews, i eat beans and pulses, things like roasted veg trey bakes are good.

It does depend on your reaction to carbs and goals, if your going for the usper low carb diet much of the above is out. But for me i can some small portions of beans, whole grains and lentils which make many different meal options.

Im writing this while tucking into a small bowl of Pear barley rissoto with a pile of veg sticks (Carrots, peppers, tomatos). Very nice little lunch.

If you like Chinese food i do some good soup pots with lots of veg (and a small potion of whole wheat noodles if you can cope with them).

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/nadiya-hussains-instant-noodles

Mike Sixx

I asked because I suspect I have B12 deficiency. Still waiting for the blood test result, but started taking B12 suppliments. First pill I took seemed to help a lot with numbness in my feet that I started having.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked because I suspect I have B12 deficiency. Still waiting for the blood test result, but started taking B12 suppliments. First pill I took seemed to help a lot with numbness in my feet that I started having.

B12, be sure you ask specifically for it,.as for me it wasn't on any of my previous 3 HBA1c blood tests,
and i was placed on metformin from start.

re supplements, read up if you haven't, as sub lingual is supposedly a better route then just tablets,
( the sprays work in a similar way, i have heard)
some thing to do with not enduring well in stomach acid, so being much less beneficial if taken in tablet form.
i believe the spray/sub lingual way, makes them 'almost' as effective as injections, but please do google for your self to be sure.