Vegetarian Low Carbing

Mimi

Hello

Can anyone suggest good protein based meals for a vegetaian low carber that isn't all to do with dairy (having a crisis of imagination!). I love cheese but if I eat it at the rates I'm currently at I'll probably have a heart attack from all the fat!

Thank you kind people.
Mimi

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Don't worry enjoy the cheese! It isn't fats that cause heart attacks. that was an assumption made by some people and based on NO EVIDENCE.they were wron! It's carbs that cause high cholesterol. IF cholesterol is a problem and even that's not certain.
Since high protein vegetables are often high carb too,(pulses and grains) cheese and eggs are your mainstay.

Mimi

That's reassuring! Do you know much about manufactured proteins like Quorn? How about tofu - made from soya? I used to eat a lot of those two but am not so sure now.

Guess I'll have to try and keep testing (expensive business).

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Mimi,

Don't worry about the cheese. Tofu is also a great source of protein. Quorn is ok, but a little too high in carbohydrate for some. TVP and seitan are worth a try. Eggs are always good if you can eat them.

All the best,

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Mimi,
if you look at mycoproteins like Quorn, just read the nutrient panel. It will tell you if the carb level is acceptable to you. I don't know much about these products.
You could just eat the mushrooms!