Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

We made these dairy free/egg free cookies today which are good for a sweet tooth. Swapped the maple syrup for sweetener. The olive oil sounded a bit funky so swapped it for rapeseed oil.

Here they are before baking. Not a lot of photo opportunities after baking :hungry::bag:

23vhlwj.jpg

http://www.occasionallyeggs.com/2016/06/ultimate-peanut-butter-cookies.html

Reactions: 4 people

pms543

@pms543 I've tried a few fat bomb recipes and have settled on this

Base of coconut oil and coconut butter - roughly 50/50 but varies according to how much I have in the cupboard. I melt the oil in the microwave, then add the butter and melt that in too

Then I add either dessicated coconut or nut butter, and a little stevia (you only need a really tiny amount), And so far I've experimented with adding raw cacao powder, vanilla , peppermint and orange extracts.

Stir well, especially if there's nut butter in there, then pour into little moulds or fairy cake cases and refrigerate.

Really quick to make, and set in about 15 minutes. You can just fiddle with the proportions till you find your favourite.

I find I often crave something sweet after a meal. And these are just sweet enough to satisfy that.
I get so confused lol with coconut oil and butter
Are they seperate items entirely?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

pms543

I find the Shard things the wife makes are brilliant for my sweet tooth ... in a bowl just melt a square of 80% dark chocolate, with a big table spoon of coconut oil, a few tea spoons of almond butter, pop in the microwave till liquid .. add a hand full of chopped almonds, melted and mixed .. cover a flat backing tray with cling film, let the mix cool slightly and pore on to the flat tray, sprinkled with sea salt and pop into the freezer ... ) yummy .. when frozen you can lift off the cling film and break in to chards . put int a freezer bags ready to eat ... I sometimes also have coconut flakes or berries in it .. It need to be eaten soon after taking out of the freezer ..
Making this later!!
Thanku

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

A

Avocado Sevenfold

B: soya yogurt, cherries, pecans, ginger
L: lentil soup*
D: veg and tofu red Thai curry

*tested for homemade lentil soup today. 100ml. Happy!
5.4 - pre
5.9 - 1 hour
5.4 - 2 hours
5.1 - 3 hours

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@AvocadoSevenfold

Re: Lentil soup and good BG readings. When I started using Novorapid insulin to control my diabetes, my DSN told me to inject half my usual amount when eating pulses because they were low GI.

This article advises that dried lentils are much lower GI than tinned ones: http://www.livestrong.com/article/270287-glycemic-index-of-lentils/

It's the same for dried/tinned beans and chickpeas: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302424-glycemic-index-flax/ if you can be bothered to soak them the night before!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
B: Sultana bran & whole milk. Actimel. Fortisip supplement.

L: tagliatelle con porcini. Chocolate eclair.

D: Roasted squash, quinoa & red rice, broccoli & cabbage.

Snacks: Croissant & cappuccino. Dark chocolate. Crackers with boursin cheese.

(I'm still on a high calorie diet, if you haven't guessed.)

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Ledzeptt Thanks for the links. I wondered after 2 hours if maybe the low GI would creep up on me later so this is why I tested at 3 hours too. So pleased. They were dried red lentils, but I am too lazy and disorganised to soak beans and chickpeas :oops:

Is the weight gain plan going well?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@AvocadoSevenfold

Very good.

Weight gain is surprisingly hard work. I'm no longer dangerously underweight, but since leaving hospital the best I can do is maintain my weight.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: Granola, Greek yogurt & strawberries. Actimel. Fortisip supplement.

Snack: Cappuccino & croissant.

L: V sushi & miso soup.

D: Bean & roast veg pie, roast potatoes & mix veg. Mini magnum-type lolly.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Got a bit of a courgette-fest going on at the moment due to a bumper crop. Sadly, a gang of pigeons scoffed all the gooseberries o_O

B: coffee
L: griddled courgettes with minty tofu, pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes
D: veg courgetti bol with peri peri soya yogurt on top

2exq5af.jpg

2edqiy9.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@AvocadoSevenfold Great photos - very appetising!

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Avocado Sevenfold how did you do the minty tofu? My new favourite 'cheese' was the Bute Greek style before diagnosis and it was just perfect in salads. So disappointed that it has 20+g of carbs per 100 :(

I've been very erratic with my diet in this heat. I lived in Spain for a while as a student, and I just lose my appetite when it's hot. Problem is I head to work in the morning without breakfast, and without a packed lunch! My saviour at the moment is the Wheaty Spacebars. One of those really fills me up.

I need to get organised again with the chia pudds so I can have breakfast, especially now I have berries in the garden. Well, the few that the birds haven't scoffed that is! All the blackcurrants have gone, and most of the strawbs and rasps. Grrrrrrrr....

Oh, and did you make your own courgetti? I really dislike the supermarket stuff. It tastes past it to me, because it probably is after days in a packet! We're behind you, no courgettes in the garden yet, but in a couple of weeks I'll be over-run with them.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @PurpleArmadillo I should learn to write things down as I just chucked stuff in for the minty tofu. From memory

1 pack of plain Cauldron tofu - well pressed overnight (it is 1% carb)
1/4 cup of olive oil*
juice of one lemon
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp dried mint or maybe it was a tbsp
a pinch of chilli flakes
salt and pepper

I think the olive oil might be a bit overpowering so I will try rapeseed next time. Cube the well pressed tofu and pop in the marinade made from the other ingredients. Marinade for a few hours and stir occasionally to ensure the tofu is well coated. I made it a few days ago and it is lasting well. Doesn't taste like feta much, but it is nice enough and good for protein and fat. There are lots of vegan feta recipes online, but many of them contain nooch which I don't enjoy the taste of unfortunately.

I couldn't go to work without a packed lunch as there would be nothing to eat there. Bag of peanuts from the corner shop? I can't think of anything else available.

We have a spiraliser like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spiralizer...TF8&qid=1468970473&sr=1-3&keywords=spiralizer The courgettes are growing like weeds at the moment so no need to buy any.

Summer ended here at 9.45pm today when the heavens opened. It has calmed down now, but we are due a big storm though the night which should clear the air.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yesterday:

B: Granola with Greek yoghurt & Strawberries. Actimel. Fortisip supplement.

L: Hummus salad sandwich

D: Red lentil "cobbler"

Snack: Chocolate eclair

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Brunch: toasted Lidl roll and peanut butter
Dinner: Linda Mac sausages, griddled courgettes, cauli mash and gravy
Snacks: too many cherries!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Brunch: leftover cauli mash, spring onions, big smoked mushroom
Dinner: sun dried tomato and basil hummus, salad, Lidl roll

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: Boiled eggs and toast

L: Spinach & ricotta lasagne and garlic bread (restaurant lunch with family)

D: Homemade bread with salad sandwich - lovely! Although I calculated each slice, thick but not "door steps", as 38g of carbs.

Snack: 85% chocolate

Last edited by a moderator:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: Poached eggs on wholemeal toast

L: Fried egg sandwich (we have plenty of eggs at the moment)

D: The traditional nut cutlet with mash, carrots and French beans. (Cutlet contained an egg to bind ingredients!)

Snack: Danish and cappuccino.

I may give eggs a miss tomorrow:)