Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
B: Muesli. Actimel.

L: Hummus salad sandwich. Quorn savoury eggs.

D: Stir fry with tofu and noodles.

Snack: Almonds.

IMG_1472846356.176401.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Thanks @AvocadoSevenfold :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Just doing a quick head count after the recent forum upgrade. One, two...yep, me and Jimmy Page all present and correct.

All veggies and vegans most welcome to join in :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Having a chickpea day

B: raspberries, soya yogurt, coconut, pecans, ginger
L: falafels, cherry tomatoes
D: falafels, hummus, huge garlic mushroom, spinach, peri-peri yogurt

118ku50.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: Muesli. Actimel.

L: Hummus salad sandwich. Nutty protein bar (shop bought).

D: Cheese & mushroom omelette, salad, slice of bread. Strawberries.

Nothing worthy of a photo, although I enjoyed everything!

Yes, Jimmy's still here! Disappointed to see the like option has gone from the iOS app - I've reported it, in case it's a bug.

{Edit} Supper: oatcakes and G&B hot chocolate - unplanned due to low BG. So much for my low'ish carb dinner experiment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Avocado Sevenfold do you make your own cauli rice? I tried some bought stuff, and it's ok with lots of sauce (just!) but was pretty ewwwwwwww on its own!

Used my cheap Lidl spiraliser for the first time this week on a courgette from the garden and the resulting courgetti was really good :) So much better than what I bought from Sainsburys, which I just found sweaty and kind of fermented tasting. Annoyingly it leaves a large core behind though, that I have to manually slice. Don't like throwing good food away!

I'm currently trying to find innovative ways of using up runner beans. Yep, it's that time of year again :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Avocado Sevenfold do you make your own cauli rice? I tried some bought stuff, and it's ok with lots of sauce (just!) but was pretty ewwwwwwww on its own!

Used my cheap Lidl spiraliser for the first time this week on a courgette from the garden and the resulting courgetti was really good :) So much better than what I bought from Sainsburys, which I just found sweaty and kind of fermented tasting. Annoyingly it leaves a large core behind though, that I have to manually slice. Don't like throwing good food away!

I'm currently trying to find innovative ways of using up runner beans. Yep, it's that time of year again :)

PurpleArmadillo (your avatar always makes me smile, for some reason I can't explain), my spiraliser has a holder with it, which is just a flat piece of plastic, with a few spikes on the underside to hold the courgette or whatever you are processing. When I could lay my hands on it, I used a fork to do the last few turns, to save my fingers being attracted to those pesky sharp blades. If I was to do it that way regularly, I'd use an old fork (or the like) as the tangs can eventually come into contact with the blades and either p art could be damaged.

Even the posher, more expensive spiralisers leave a core of sorts. If you have a food processor with a very wide feeding chute (such as some of the Magimix ones), you can puts the courgette in sideways and achieve straight noodles about 4" long.

I always do my own cauli rice, just putting it through a grater blade on the food processor in about 2 minutes flat. I usually do more than I need as the remainder keeps well for a few days (2 or 3 maybe) in a clip top container in the fridge. Much cheaper than bought and I can choose how finely I want to grate.

I'm not a vegetarian, but oh how I love my vegetables. I always have.

Reactions: PurpleArmadillo
A

Avocado Sevenfold

made mushrooms in grapeseed oil, yellow summer squash baked with paprika and garlic. I had hollowed out the squash so I put it in my mushroom soup with the pieces of porcini reconstituted from dry, carrot pieces, onion, garlic, celery

Had hard boiled eggs that i had pickled in green olive jar liquid and covered them with flying fish caviar,
What is flying fish caviar? It doesn't sound vegetarian unless it is one of those eggplant caviars. Is it? - I keep meaning to try one of those recipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

This is a great cauli rice recipe. Serve it with Thai curry or just a heap of roast veg.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/201...iflower-rice-recipe-low-carb-gluten-free.html

I use the food processor to make the rice. I imagine the kitchen would look like a snowstorm if I hand grated it :oops:

Reactions: PurpleArmadillo

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today
B : Lidl roll with mushroom pate
L : Coyo vanilla yogurt and 3 vbites falafels
D : I'm thinking avocado salad with smoked tofu or bute 'feta' scheese. Plus some redcurrants and raspberries if the birds haven't got there first!

And for snacks I've finally got organised and made more fat bombs. Funny how you grow used to not having a sweet taste. I forgot to add any stevia, and it turned out I didn't need it anyway. Coconut, a little raw cacao and vanilla and they were just right :)

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I make eggplant caviar with some regularity. I think it was one of the original Brillat Savarin recipes given to the Russians under Catherine the Great thus origin not Russian but French. Since Orthodox fast (follow vegan plus some shellfish - but not fish themselves - and fish eggs) a lot of the days of the year, it was a recipe that took off and remained in Russian cuisine. Would you like the recipe?

All caviar except fake caviar is fish eggs and definitely not vegetarian or vegan . I eat it on occasion and I eat eggs regularly since becoming diabetic. I am vegan maybe 3/5 of the year by days and the rest of the time eat almost anything. However, with my religious diet, this thread is the nearest to what I am doing daily.

btw, allergist says that yes, with a latex allergy, you can start having problems with avocados and make the allergy worse, so I have cut down on that treat.
Oh you have a new name :)

You have just reminded me that I recorded an episode of The Hairy Bikers (UK cooking legends) in which they make an eggplant "caviar" on a boat in St Petersburg. I must watch it.

This part of the forum is a fish-free zone as mentioned in the opening post. It would be good if it could stay that way otherwise it is just another omnivore thread and there are plenty of those already. Not having a dig at your food choices, just stating my feelings.

I don't actually eat a lot of avocados (although I do like them a lot!) - my name is a play on the name of the US rock band Avenged Sevenfold. I am not allergic to anything that I know of.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Today
B : Lidl roll with mushroom pate
L : Coyo vanilla yogurt and 3 vbites falafels
D : I'm thinking avocado salad with smoked tofu or bute 'feta' scheese. Plus some redcurrants and raspberries if the birds haven't got there first!

And for snacks I've finally got organised and made more fat bombs. Funny how you grow used to not having a sweet taste. I forgot to add any stevia, and it turned out I didn't need it anyway. Coconut, a little raw cacao and vanilla and they were just right :)
Can I come to your house please?

I am going to have another try at making almond feta. People are raving about this recipe and it looks quite easy. Will let you know how it goes if you are interested

http://www.maplespice.com/2011/04/baked-almond-feta-with-dill-oil.html

A

Avocado Sevenfold

How about, for the purists, people like me with, say, a bookshelf full of vegan recipes Azerbaijani to Zulu, just post most of what they eat and leave off the shellfish in every iteration, and post everything else. Have to look at that initial post to see whether creatures like Lacto-Ovo (which I had to become out of necessity and after talking to a friendly diabetic bishop) are allowed on this thread
The opening post states that lacto-ovo is allowed on this thread and in fact the OP is a lacto-ovo himself I think. @Enclave ? Have a read of it. It is a thread for vegetarians and the vegans post here too. But no fish or shellfish otherwise the thread is redundant :(

A

Avocado Sevenfold

How about, for the purists, people like me with, say, a bookshelf full of vegan recipes Azerbaijani to Zulu, just post most of what they eat and leave off the shellfish in every iteration, and post everything else. Have to look at that initial post to see whether creatures like Lacto-Ovo (which I had to become out of necessity and after talking to a friendly diabetic bishop) are allowed on this thread

Yes, products of the captivity of animals are allowed on this thread, but not shellfish or fish eggs, for those fish would be slaughtered.

Wondering if there are enough people on this forum to start discussions of what people eating lacto-ovo vegan with shellfish / lacto-ovo with fish and shellfish / kosher without milk products or meat / kosher with milk products and meat/ kosher vegan / halal / halal during Ramadan or fasting / celebratory halal along with Orthodox Christian (inclusive of Coptic) fasting and feasting regimes ?
Re-quoting your post as you added to it since I replied. The thread is for vegetarians to post about what they ate today. Anything else is off topic. No meat references as clearly stated in the opening post. If you wish to discuss other ways of eating, perhaps start a thread somewhere more appropriate. This is a nice, friendly thread :)

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
And just to stick my oar in re non-veggie mentions on this thread, even thought I'm a relative newbie on it ...

If non veggies / vegans are reading, picking up ideas on the thread, and commenting on the recipes, photos etc then that's great. An active, vibrant thread is definitely a good thing.

But I do think there needs to be a line drawn. I don't want to read about what meat and fish forum members ate today, and that's why I'm on this thread and not the general low-carb one. I also think that for new posters, or anyone considering going veggie it can be very confusing when definitions like 'pescatarian', 'almost vegetarian' and the like are used.

Also, for this thread to be a useful resource for meal planning I don't think non-vegetarians posting their food diaries minus the dead things is a good idea. It wouldn't be showing a balanced diet as it would likely be lacking in protein at first glance.

I hope that made sense. It did to me :)