Very confused

imperp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tested 2 hrs after dinner last night and blood glucose was 7.8. This morning when testing before breakfast it was 8.3. How can the level increase when I've not eaten anything else in between. Could my monitor be faulty? At the moment I'm trying to control my type 2 by diet alone and am reducing carbs and staying away from anything sugary. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to shed some light on this x

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This sounds like the Dawn Phenomena, the liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream in anticipation of energy use. It can happen at any time of the day when you havn't eaten but more common in the morning.

Reactions: imperp

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tested 2 hrs after dinner last night and blood glucose was 7.8. This morning when testing before breakfast it was 8.3. How can the level increase when I've not eaten anything else in between. Could my monitor be faulty? At the moment I'm trying to control my type 2 by diet alone and am reducing carbs and staying away from anything sugary. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to shed some light on this x

That increase is absolutely minimal so I wouldn't worry about it. If you tested again last night after your 7.8, you could well have got further results of 8.1, 8.0 etc

Results can vary slightly even if you test using a different finger.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Yes, sounds the Dawn Phenomenon to me too. Try not to worry, it happens to most of us. You will get used to your own patterns as you test with your meter. My doctor considers my diabetes very well controlled and puts it down to the fact that I test regularly. Keep up the good work and keep a record and you will see patterns start to emerge. Good luck.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there,
I use a freestyle libre monitor.

On LCHF My overnight actual blood glucose stays pretty much the same of lower than when I went to bed - all night long. usually somewhere in the 4's

At some stage the following morning it starts to rise usually by 2-3 mmols so 6-mm from the starting point- that happened whether or not I eat anything - then during the afternoon it starts to go back down again back to 4-5s in the afternoon and the LCHF food I eat barely causes a murmur to the figures.

If I ate a lot of carbs the previous day then the overnight blood sugars will be more jumpy and the morning rise higher - so for example after my three days carb loading experiment ( upto 200g carbs) the rise got to be as high as to 9 mmol at the hieght.

In the end if you control what you eat through REAL FOODS focused away from carbs , and get as active as you personally can, then over time these rises will get less, unless you add back in the carbs like I just did to test what happens. .